Topics

DXCC award. questions before the inevitable

ghassan chammas

Dear David
dear all.

I once read in an email reply of yours to a fellow colleague inquiring about the submission to the dxcc award through dxkeeper that this operation is NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART, or something in this meaning.
I them tagged this email reply because it contained a link to dxlabwiki documents that explain a step by step procedure to this end.
Reading the document on wiki, confused me a lot because it lead me from one necessary step (linked to another wikidoc) to another.

This said, I postponed my application for nearly a year now. But I feel I want to apply now to various DXCC awards, including 5Bdxcc, WAZ, WAS, etc...
Before I do that I have various questions:

1- In general, why do you say that this operation is not for the faint of heart? what are the hazards involved.?
2- what is the difference between applying through DXK and directly through LoTW? is it the consolidation of the confirmed QSO through eQSL? do the eQSL confirmation  count towards the DXCC awards?
3- If I do it through LotW directly, is there a way to bring in, through LotW site, the eQSL confirmed Eqsl ?
4 If I do it directly through LotW,how would I be able to update those Verified QSO's into my DXK records is it by clicking " CTR Sync LotW QSL" only ?
5- I understand that the first step is to verify the QSO's with LOTW and EQSL through DXK. once this operation is done, then the application process follows.. is this correct?
6- because the confirmed QSO's are a daily ongoing process, am I correct in stating that this same verification process should be carried on from time to time, to keep a record of the verified QSO's for further accreditation of awards? hence, is it the same process again?
7- is there any other easier process? and what is a rule of thumb to follow besides backing up the data base before doing anything?

I am sorry for ll the questions. but better be prepared then sorry

best regards

Ghassan
OD5YA

I once read in an email reply of yours to a fellow colleague inquiring about the submission to the dxcc award through dxkeeper that this operation is NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART, or something in this meaning.

I them tagged this email reply because it contained a link to dxlabwiki documents that explain a step by step procedure to this end.
Reading the document on wiki, confused me a lot because it lead me from one necessary step (linked to another wikidoc) to another.

This said, I postponed my application for nearly a year now. But I feel I want to apply now to various DXCC awards, including 5Bdxcc, WAZ, WAS, etc...
Before I do that I have various questions:

1- In general, why do you say that this operation is not for the faint of heart? what are the hazards involved.?

+ I use that phrase to describe the process of having DXKeeper download one's DXCC credits from the ARRL web page, and link those credits to logged QSOs. This process is described here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ManageDXCCCredits>

+ It is "not for the faint of heart" because approximately 25% of the DXCC credits created from QSL cards submitted to the ARRL contain incorrect information, either due to data entry errors or due to shortcuts taken by the data entry personnel. DXKeeper can automatically link DXCC credits to logged QSOs that exactly match, but the user must manually link DXCC credits to QSO's that don't exactly match.

+ The above process is only necessary if DXKeeper wasn't used to generate all DXCC submissions containing QSL cards. When DXKeeper is used to generate a submission, one can update one's logged QSOs to reflect the granting of DXCC credits (after the application is approved by the ARRL) with a single mouse click.

2- what is the difference between applying through DXK and directly through LoTW? is it the consolidation of the confirmed QSO through eQSL? do the eQSL confirmation count towards the DXCC awards?

+ If you use LoTW to generate a DXCC application, it will choose the LoTW-confirmed QSOs to submit. Its algorithm for selecting QSOs is primitive, resulting in more QSOs being submitted than necessary, which increases the fee. DXKeeper uses a multi-pass algorithm to choose the smallest set of logged QSOs to attain the maximum available DXCC credit. For example, suppose you are pursuing DXCC on both 160m and in RTTY, already have DXCC credit for P5 on 80m and for P5 in CW, and have the following LoTW-confirmed QSOs in your log:

P5CW on 160m in CW

P5RY on 80m in RTTY

P5DX on 160m RTTY

+ LoTW might choose your P5CW and P5RY QSOs. DXKeeper will always choose your P5DX QSO.

+ When you use DXKeeper to generate a submission, you direct LoTW to submit specific LoTW-confirmed QSOs chosen by DXKeeper. DXKeeper also generates an ADIF file specifying QSOs confirmed via QSL cards that you then submit via the ARRL's "Online DXCC". Step-by-step instructions for all of this are here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GenerateSubmission>

3- If I do it through LotW directly, is there a way to bring in, through LotW site, the eQSL confirmed Eqsl ?

+ No. QSOs confirmed via eQSL are not valid for DXCC or for any other ARRL-sponsored awards.

4 If I do it directly through LotW,how would I be able to update those Verified QSO's into my DXK records is it by clicking " CTR Sync LotW QSL" only ?

+ No. As described in the documentation cited above, after you receive a "credit slip" from the ARRL indicating that your submission was fully approved, you click the "Verify Submission" button on the "DXKeeper DXCC Submission" window; this promotes the DXCC status of each logged QSO in your submission to "credit granted" by setting "QSL Rcvd" to 'V' (for QSOs confirmed via QSL Cards" or by setting "LoTW QSL Rcvd" to 'V' (for QSOs confirmed via LoTW).

5- I understand that the first step is to verify the QSO's with LOTW and EQSL through DXK. once this operation is done, then the application process follows.. is this correct?

+ No. "verify the QSOs with LoTW" is a meaningless concept, and eQSL plays no role in ARRL awards.

6- because the confirmed QSO's are a daily ongoing process, am I correct in stating that this same verification process should be carried on from time to time, to keep a record of the verified QSO's for further accreditation of awards? hence, is it the same process again?

+ You can submit confirmed QSOs to the ARRL for award credit as often as you like. Many DXers make one annual submission each December so that their updated statistics will be included in the ARRL's Annual DXCC Yearbook:

<http://www.arrl.org/news/the-2018-arrl-dxcc-yearbook-is-now-available>

7- is there any other easier process?

+ Not to my knowledge.

and what is a rule of thumb to follow besides backing up the data base before doing anything?

+ Review all of the step-by-step instructions cited above before taking any action. If you have questions or concerns, post them here. "Measure twice, cut once".

ghassan chammas

Thank you. Very informative and to the point as usual. I am crossing my fingers and sleeving up.
Will keep you posted.

Regards and 73
God bless
Ghassan

Sent from Samsung tablet.

[...]

Hello Dave

Good news!

I followed the extremely clear instructions in the documentation and submitted to ARRL my dxcc,was and waz applications.

I have 3 questions:

1. I decided to accept the lotw suggested qqnumber of qso's, which is exagerated compared to the precise and svelt submission qsos computed by dxkeeper as you mentionned, because i will not be submitting again until end 2020. I did not receive "an arrl confirmation slip" as you mention. But my payment was accepted. Should i be expecting an adif file from lotw to promote my dxkeeper qsos to V? Should i wait for the "slip" before i proceed any further? (I wrote to lotw asking for any confirmation slip or something to that effect)

2. If i click on "verify submission" would dxkeeper promote those qsos that it suggested only or would it also promote the extra bloated list that lotw suggested and that i paid for? How would dxk know what are the qsos that lotw suggested?

3. I am gathering card qsls for one single shot verification when i am in the usa. Would the verified cards be promoted by lotw once they verify them? How would i direct dxk to include those cards qsos once lotw verifies? Is the process done by updating qsl from lotw or is it a manual process?

Thank you very much again and God bless

Od5ya
Ghassan

Sent from Samsung tablet.

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 11:53 PM, ghassan chammas wrote:

1. I decided to accept the lotw suggested qqnumber of qso's, which is exagerated compared to the precise and svelt submission qsos computed by dxkeeper as you mentionned, because i will not be submitting again until end 2020. I did not receive "an arrl confirmation slip" as you mention. But my payment was accepted. Should i be expecting an adif file from lotw to promote my dxkeeper qsos to V? Should i wait for the "slip" before i proceed any further? (I wrote to lotw asking for any confirmation slip or something to that effect)

+ LoTW will not send you an ADIF file/. Invoking "Sync LoTW QSLs" on the Main window's QSL tab will update logged QSOs confirmed by LoTW to which DXCC Credit has been granted by setting their "LoTW QSL Rcvd" item to 'V'.

2. If i click on "verify submission" would dxkeeper promote those qsos that it suggested only or would it also promote the extra bloated list that lotw suggested and that i paid for? How would dxk know what are the qsos that lotw suggested?

+ If you let LoTW select the QSOs you submitted, DXKeeper doesn't know which QSOs you selected unless you set the "LoTW QSL Rcvd" items to 'S' for each QSO LoTW selected. This is not necessary, however; as stated above, invoking "Sync LoTW QSLs" will update logged QSOs confirmed by LoTW to which DXCC Credit has been granted by setting their "LoTW QSL Rcvd" item to 'V' without your having first set "LoTW QSL Rcvd" to 'S'.

3. I am gathering card qsls for one single shot verification when i am in the usa. Would the verified cards be promoted by lotw once they verify them? How would i direct dxk to include those cards qsos once lotw verifies? Is the process done by updating qsl from lotw or is it a manual process?

+ LoTW is not involved in the process of submitting QSL cards for DXCC credit. When you direct DXKeeper to generate a DXCC QSL Card submission, it generates an ADIF file with one record for each submitted QSO; you upload that file to the ARRL's "DXCC Online". DXKeeper sets each submitted QSO's "QSL Rcvd" item to 'S'; when you receive the credit slip from the ARRL, then (assuming DXCC credit was granted to all submitted QSOs) you can direct DXKeeper to "promote" your QSL card submission to "DXCC credit Granted", which it does by changing each QSO's "QSL Rcvd" item from 'S' to 'V'. Step-by-step instructions are here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GenerateSubmission>

BILL KENNAMER

Payment accepted does not mean your cards have been credited at that point. When cards are received, payment is processed at that point, then cards are sent down to DXCC for processing. Not exactly sure when they are handled with an LOTW submission, but would guess that payment processing is done at a different point, although so close in time it would be difficult to tell exactly when.  But cards are definitely processed at a different time than payment.

73

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 05:19 AM, BILL KENNAMER wrote:

Payment accepted does not mean your cards have been credited at that point. When cards are received, payment is processed at that point, then cards are sent down to DXCC for processing. Not exactly sure when they are handled with an LOTW submission, but would guess that payment processing is done at a different point, although so close in time it would be difficult to tell exactly when.  But cards are definitely processed at a different time than payment.

+ In response to a DXCC application bearing QSL cards, the DXCC Desk sends a "Credit Slip" listing each QSO submitted, stating whether or not it was granted DXCC credit.

+ For a DXCC application bearing LoTW confirmations, you can view that status of that application using the procedure described here:

<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/dxcc-award-credit/#viewdxccapplication>

+ This procedure enables you to access an online "Credit Slip", with each submitted QSO confirmation listed and hyperlinked to the confirmation details.

+ Any LoTW confirmation submitted for DXCC award credit will be granted DXCC award credit. Your QSO partner would not have been issued a Callsign Certificate unless all DXCC requirements - like a landing permit or proof-of-entry - have been met. See

<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/authentication/>

and

<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/specialdocumentationrequirements/>

ghassan chammas

Tnx Bill
I just got a submission slip confirmation from arrl.

Regards
Ghassan
Od5ya
Beirut lebanon

Sent from Samsung tablet.

Payment accepted does not mean your cards have been credited at that point. When cards are received, payment is processed at that point, then cards are sent down to DXCC for processing. Not exactly sure when they are handled with an LOTW submission, but would guess that payment processing is done at a different point, although so close in time it would be difficult to tell exactly when.  But cards are definitely processed at a different time than payment.

73
Bill K5FUV

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

[...]

Hi Dave
Finally I got the "slip" from lotw and did a CTRL update qsl from lotw and almost 900 qso were promoted to V status.

But, while checking , i found out that those V qso's belong to the DXCC award application only, although I did apply to, and paid for, WAS and WAZ awards.
The funny thing is that on LOTW site, when i click on the WAS and WAZ awards, I see an asterisk near Mixed, FT8 and some other categories, showing that "AWARD has been issued".

currently, on my WAX and WAS tab in RAT I only have W and C but not a single V, which is not the case in DXCC tab where I have W, C and V

My question is, should I promote those qso's in DXK as V? should it be promoted  under QSL, or WAS vfy or WAZ vfy according to the award purpusoe.? My guess is that it should be promoted to V both in qsl and corresponding award.
Am I correct?

please note that the WAZ award verifcation was sent to CQ award manager, John, and payment was effected to CQ for 2 awards.

reagrds
OD5YA

Ghassan

On Thursday, July 11, 2019, 06:16:45 PM GMT+3, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

But, while checking , i found out that those V qso's belong to the
DXCC award application only, although I did apply to, and paid for,
WAS and WAZ awards.
That is correct. LotW "Sync QSLs" only reports DXCC Credit Awarded -
not WAS, WAZ, or VUCC (IIRC).

My question is, should I promote those qso's in DXK as V? should it be
promoted under QSL, or WAS vfy or WAZ vfy according to the award
purpusoe.?
Only in WAS vfy, or WAZ vfy according to the award in question. *NOTE*
you should only mark WAZ vfy = "V" *IF* the award has been issued by
the CQ Award Custodian (not LotW).

On 2019-07-16 2:14 AM, ghassan chammas via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Dave
[...]
definitely processed at a different time than payment. + In response to a DXCC application bearing QSL cards, the DXCC Desk sends a "Credit Slip" listing each QSO submitted, stating whether or not it was granted DXCC credit.
<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/dxcc-award-credit/#viewdxccapplication> <https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/dxcc-award-credit/#viewdxccapplication>
+ This procedure enables you to access an online "Credit Slip", with each submitted QSO confirmation listed and hyperlinked to the confirmation details.
+ Any LoTW confirmation submitted for DXCC award credit will be granted DXCC award credit. Your QSO partner would not have been issued a Callsign Certificate unless all DXCC requirements - like a landing permit or proof-of-entry - have been met. See
<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/authentication/> <https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/authentication/>
and
<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/specialdocumentationrequirements/> <https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/specialdocumentationrequirements/>

[...]

+ The ARRL provides no programmatic means by which an application like DXKeeper can determine whether a QSO has been granted WAS or VUCC award credit.

+ CQ provides no programmatic means by which an application like DXKeeper can determine whether a QSO has been granted WAZ or WPX award credit.

+ For IOTA, you can obtain a tab-delimited file containing your IOTA award progress and direct DXKeeper to update your logged QSOs to reflect the status specified in this file.

+ For DXCC, DXKeeper can determine which QSOs have been granted DXCC award credit by downloading HTML from the web page showing your DXCC award status, extracting DXCC award credit information from the HTML, and then downloading each DXCC award credit, and attempting to associate it with a logged QSO. The DXKeeper Credit Manager provides this functionality:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ManageDXCCCredits>

+ Also for DXCC, the LoTW API that DXKeeper invokes when you click "Sync LoTW QSLs" reports DXCC award credit granted to LoTW confirmations, as well as confirmations. However, this API does not report DXCC award credit granted to QSL card confirmations.

+ What users want is the ability to apply for DXCC, IOTA, VUCC, WAS, WAZ, or WPX awards, and then after receiving an "all ok" report from the award sponsor, be able to update their logged QSOs with a mouse click or two to indicate "award credit granted".

+ DXKeeper does this by maintain award status items in every logged QSO:

For DXCC: "QSL RCVD" and "LOTW QSL Rcvd"

For IOTA: IOTAVerified

For VUCC: VUCCVerified

for WAS: WASVerified

for WAZ: WAZVerified

for WPX: WPXVerified

+ Each of these items is described in <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Items.htm>

+ All of these items except "LoTW QSL Rcvd" are accessible via the QSL panel on the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab. "LoTW QSL Rcvd" is accessible via the "Online QSL" panel on the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab.

+ When you direct DXKeeper to select a set of QSOs to be submitted for an award - a process the documentation refers to as "assembling a submission" -- DXKeeper chooses the optimum set of confirmed QSOs, and in each chosen QSO changes the appropriate award status item from Y (confirmed) to S (submitted). For example, if you direct DXKeeper to generate a WAS submission, it will change the WASVerified item of each chosen QSO from 'Y' to 'S'. When you click the "View Submission" button on DXKeeper's "WAS Submission" window, it filters the Log Page Display with

WASVerified='S'

+ When you click the "Create Submission Report" button on DXKeeper's "WAS Submission" window, DXKeeper generates creates a submission report in the correct format the includes all QSOs whose WASVerified items are set to 'S'.

+ When after submitting your WAS application, you receive a report from the ARRL saying "all QSOs submitted were granted WAS award credit", clicking the "Verify Submission" button on DXKeeper's "WAS Submission" window causes DXKeeper to update each QSO whose WASVerified item is set to 'S' by changing that WASVerified item to 'V', meaning "award credit granted. If the report from the ARRL indicated that WAS credit was withheld from two QSOs, you would manually change the "WASVerified" items in those two QSOs from 'S' to 'Y' - or maybe from 'S' to 'I' (invalid) if the QSOs will never count fro WAS credit - before clicking the "Verify Submission" button.

+ This workflow

1. assemble submission
2. review submission
3. create submission report
4. send application to award sponsor
5. receive results from award sponsor
6, verify submission

+ is provided for DXCC, IOTA, VUCC, WAS, WAZ, and WPX awards. It only works, however, if the QSOs you plan to submit have their award status items set to 'S' - either because you invoked the "Assemble Submission" function (step 1), or because you manually chose the QSOs to be submitted and manually set their award progress items to 'S'. For example, if you know you have one newly confirmed QSO to submit to complete 160m WAS, you could simply set its WASVerified item to 'S', and then invoke "Create Submission Report" (step 3) to generate the paperwork.

+ The DXCC Credit Manager and the ability of "Sync LoTW QSLs" to update logged QSOs to reflect award credit granted to LoTW confirmations give you additional options for DXCC awards. Similarly, the "IOTA Update" function gives you an additional option for IOTA.

+ My advice is to use the workflow described above for all awards.

+ So if you used DXKeeper's Submission generator to assemble your WAS and WAZ submissions, and if each award sponsor's report was "award credit granted to all submitted QSOs", then clicking the "WAS Submission" window's "Verify Submission" button and the 'WAZ Submission" window's "Verify Submission" button is the right next step. If you're at all unsure, direct DXKeeper to create a log backup before performing these actions, and then invoke "View Submission" in the "WAS Submission" window and in the "WAZ Submission" window to confirm that the QSOs shown in the Log Page Display are indeed those to which award credit was granted.

ghassan chammas

Thank you Dave for your comprehensive and detailed explanation.

Alas, I am unable to opt for "verify" submission" in all 3 awards because i erroneously chose to follow Lotw suggestion for submission rather then dxk, and hence many of the verified qsos do not coincide between what lotw chose and dxk suggested.
For this reason I am currently going through the strenuous job of setting was and waz V status to each qso awarded by lotw.

I have realized, that some qsos are already V in lotw qsl section, and i am adding the V to was or waz intead of a blank or sometimes an S. That is fine.
My question is : some qsos chosen by lotw for either the was or waz awards do Not have the V status in LOTW qsl section. Will it promoted automatically once i change in dxk the status of was or waz vfy to V?
Or should i, in such event promote the same qso to V in both was or waz AND lotw qsl section?

It is truly not for the faint of heart as you say.

Regards
Ghassan
Od5ya

Sent from Samsung tablet.

[...]

That is because those QSOs were not used for DXCC. LotW_QSL = V is
only valid for DXCC and will not be "promoted" unless that QSL has
received DXCC credit from ARRL.

Or should i, in such event promote the same qso to V in both was or
waz AND lotw qsl section?
Only promote the QSO to V in WAS or WAZ.

[...]

+ "some qsos are already V in lotw qsl section" because the "Sync LoTW QSLs" operation updates logged QSOs to reflect DXCC Award Credit granted to LoTW confirmations.

My question is : some qsos chosen by lotw for either the was or waz awards do Not have the V status in LOTW qsl section.
Will it promoted automatically once i change in dxk the status of was or waz vfy to V?
Or should i, in such event promote the same qso to V in both was or waz AND lotw qsl section?

+ Just because a QSO was awarded WAS credit or WAZ credit doesn't mean it will also be awarded DXCC credit. Only QSOs you submitted for DXCC credit can be awarded DXCC credit. If you've invoked "Sync LoTW QSLs" after being informed that your "DXCC LoTW" award application has been processed, all of your QSOs to which DXCC credit was recently added should be updated with a 'V' in their "LoTW QSL Rcvd" item. If you think you have a QSO whose "LoTW QSL Rcvd" item has not been correctly updated, right-click it in the Log Page Display and select "Update from LoTW".