Topics

DX-Lab with SDRConsole or SDRUno

Uwe

Hi,

I'm using an IC-7600 and I wanted to run DX-Lab and SDRConsole or SDRUno to see rf spectrum in higher resolution than on the build in screen.
The IC-7600 has RXIn and RXOut terminals. I connected them with a very short peace of wire and I built a little 0db amplifier with high input resistance and low output resistance. It can be supplied with power via Bias-T of the RSP1a. In the trx there is nearly no additional attenuation and the RSP1a is working very fine.
As DXCommander provides a secondary CAT-Port, it is possible to connect  Omnirig and the SDR-Software via com0com, so all is fine synchrone. Furthermore the awesome DXLab-Software provides "Follow & Lead Alternate VFO when Split". So it is really easy to work DXStations working split. (Dual Watch has been a great help until now)...
Maybe this will inspire someone else to such a little project in these sad times...

73 de Uwe, DL4AC

[...]

+ Thanks, Uwe!

+ How do you mute/protect the RSP1a when your IC-7600 is transmitting?

g4wjs

On 12/01/2021 09:06, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Hi Dave,

the RX IN/OUT connectors on the IC-7600 get the same protection as the built in receiver in the rig. The rig does lack a hybrid splitter so one must be added externally if it is desired to have the aerial connected simultaneously to the SDR and the rig's receiver, otherwise one has to switch between "ANT N/R" or "ANT N" to switch between SDR and rig Rx. It looks like Uwe has "tee-ed" off from a link between RX OUT and RX IN with his buffer amplifier to feed the SDR as a split feed.

Bill

G4WJS.

Uwe

Hi Dave, hi Bill,

the standard solution I found in the internet is to install a splitter between between RXin and RXout and the third leg connected to the external SDR. But this layout produces 3dB attenuation to the IC-7600 and to the SDR as well, because the RF signal is splitted into two. I didn't like that solution for this. And Bill is right, I simply "tee-ed" it. A very short cable between RXin and RXout and on this I hooked up the input of a little FET followed by an emitter follower which leads to my RSP1a.

The RX-in and out terminals are in the rx path, so they are very well protected. But for secure I put two diodes across the input of my RSP1.

I don't mute it at all for now. I'm using the audio of my Icom TRX. It would be very nice, to use a Kenwood CAT command to mute and unmute the SDR via omnirig!

73 de Uwe, DL4AC

the standard solution I found in the internet is to install a splitter between between RXin and RXout and the third leg connected to the external SDR. But this layout produces 3dB attenuation to the IC-7600 and to the SDR as well, because the RF signal is splitted into two. I didn't like that solution for this. And Bill is right, I simply "tee-ed" it. A very short cable between RXin and RXout and on this I hooked up the input of a little FET followed by an emitter follower which leads to my RSP1a.

The RX-in and out terminals are in the rx path, so they are very well protected. But for secure I put two diodes across the input of my RSP1.

I don't mute it at all for now. I'm using the audio of my Icom TRX. It would be very nice, to use a Kenwood CAT command to mute and unmute the SDR via omnirig!

+ I'd love to implement that option, but the challenge is to find a way to prevent user error or Windows Registry error from resulting in equipment damage in the case of a transceiver being connected to the Secondary CAT port for use as a second receiver. Providing two separate checkboxes - each on a different Configuration window tab - and requiring both to be checked would prevent one inadvertent mouse click from causing trouble; having the state of one of those checkboxes be stored between operating sessions in the Windows Registry and the other stored in the current log file might provide the necessary robustness. Better ideas are certainly welcome!

Uwe

Hi Dave,

but is it really critical to mute (set audio volume to 0) during tx? I think such a checkbox "Mute RX during TX" could be placed near "Follow & Lead Alternate VFO during Split" in Secondary CAT!?

73 de Uwe, DL4AC

Joe Subich, W4TV

Providing two separate checkboxes - each on a different Configuration
window tab - and requiring both to be checked would prevent one
inadvertent mouse click from causing trouble; having the state of one
of those checkboxes be stored between operating sessions in the
Windows Registry and the other stored in the current log file might
provide the necessary robustness.
Perhaps providing a duplicate of the "Kenwood" protocol (or Elecraft
with FI; and IS; support) called "SDR" *and* a check box for "mute SDR
on TX" would work?

An alternative - with Elecraft or Kenwood (TS-2000) protocol would be
to set audio level to zero in transmit (AG0;) and restore it in RX
(yes, you would need to get the level before switching to TX if the
SDR console supports that). Setting/restoring audio level assumes the
SDR Console responds quickly enough.

It's a shame Windows no longer allows an application to access the
master mute or you could simply mute/unmute the sound card being used
for the SDR audio output.

On 2021-01-12 11:39 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
[...]

Rick Boswell

. It would be very nice, to use a Kenwood CAT command to mute and unmute the SDR via omnirig!

Perhaps providing a duplicate of the "Kenwood" protocol (or Elecraftwith FI; and IS; support) called "SDR" *and* a check box for "mute SDRon TX" would work?
Hoping for this!

RB

Saad Mahaini

Actually, for the 7600, there is a slicker option to tap the display IF (not main RX IF) and loop it through a 2 way splitter, the second port of the splitter feeds the SDR. The 3 dB loss only affect the display With no noticeable difference whatsoever and has no affect on the main RX chain. It’s automatically protected during TX and it works really well. Just need couple short pieces of small coax jumpers and two way hybrid splitter. It’s well documented on the internet. I run this setup and it works like a charm. I use it with HDSDR with the built in OmniRig , very slick

73 Saad N5FF

On Jan 12, 2021, at 3:43 PM, Rick Boswell <frboswell@gmail.com> wrote:

Actually, for the 7600, there is a slicker option to tap the display IF (not main RX IF) and loop it through a 2 way splitter, the second port of the splitter feeds the SDR. The 3 dB loss only affect the display With no noticeable difference whatsoever and has no affect on the main RX chain. It’s automatically protected during TX and it works really well. Just need couple short pieces of small coax jumpers and two way hybrid splitter. It’s well documented on the internet. I run this setup and it works like a charm. I use it with HDSDR with the built in OmniRig , very slick

+ Thanks, Saad! Hopefully the same approach will work with my IC-7800...

Uwe

Hi,

yes, Dave is right. If you tap to main IF you will see a great dependency on which roofing filter is selected.
Another smart approach would be to tap to display IF via an impedance changer...
But if you use the IF, you have to struggle with software. For example, N1MM+'s bandscope doesn't support IF and SDRUno stays always in center mode.
I simply built an impedance changer out of one FET and one bipolar transistor and connected it to rx-in and rx-out. It's cheap, you must not open your TRX and you can simply switch it on and off...And off course, there is no 3dB attenuation...

73 de Uwe, DL4AC