DX Lab glasses ?

Andrew OBrien

With many DX Lab users using two large screen monitors for all the DXL features , I wonder if users have advice on eye glasses ? I use two monitors and wear prescription tri-focals. Increasingly , I find myself having neck pain as I shift my head/eyes to the various Windows . With an upcoming annual eye exam , I thought I would see if users here have advice . I have read that professional optometry organizations feel there is “no need  for computer glasses “

Andy K3UK

Pete Smith

My situation (two monitors and trifocals) is the same as yours, but so far, at least, I have not been troubled.  I have taken care to place my two 27"monitors close together side-by-side at a height that avoids neck pain, for me anyhow.  I have also experimented with a pair of 2.5 diopter drugstore glasses, and find they work fine, but since the middle range of my trifocals also works well, I have opted to avoid the inconvenience of swapping glasses.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the new Reverse Beacon Network
web server at <https://reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite 
"retail" DX cluster.
On 7/17/2022 9:36 PM, Andrew OBrien wrote:

With many DX Lab users using two large screen monitors for all the DXL features , I wonder if users have advice on eye glasses ? I use two monitors and wear prescription tri-focals. Increasingly , I find myself having neck pain as I shift my head/eyes to the various Windows . With an upcoming annual eye exam , I thought I would see if users here have advice . I have read that professional optometry organizations feel there is “no need  for computer glasses “

Andy K3UK

Inbody, Don

I got a special prescription from my ophthalmologist for computer glasses, single vision. Buy cheap frames and keep a pair by your computer. 

On Sun, Jul 17, 2022, 20:36 Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:

Andy K3UK

Joe Subich, W4TV

I passed on the trifocals (as well as progressives) and opted
for computer lenses all mid-range several years ago. Although
that means changing glasses when I set down to the computer and
rig, I prefer it as neither the near or far correction of my
bifocals are "good" for the computers and a trifocal vertical
angle of view would be far too limited - even for my older
air of 19" monitors set with the tops just at eye height.

I'm due for an eye exam (and new glasses) in another month or
so and will insist on updated computer lenses as well. I plan
to replace the 2 x 19" monitors with a single 40" 4K or UHD
monitor this fall and want the maximum possible angle of view.

I may even look into some "computer bifocals" ... primarily mid
range with a reading inset set lower than normal for reading
papers set on the desk.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-07-17 9:36 PM, Andrew OBrien wrote:
With many DX Lab users using two large screen monitors for all the DXL
features , I wonder if users have advice on eye glasses ? I use two
monitors and wear prescription tri-focals. Increasingly , I find myself
having neck pain as I shift my head/eyes to the various Windows . With an
upcoming annual eye exam , I thought I would see if users here have advice
. I have read that professional optometry organizations feel there is “no
need for computer glasses “
Andy K3UK

David Bunte

Andy -

I also use dual monitors and have worn tri-Focals for about 30 years. To conserve desk space, my 27" monitors are mounted on the wall directly in front of me, but they are mounted higher than optimal, so my rig does not block my view. Thus, looking at them through the middle lens of my tri-focals means I need to tilt my head back a bit, and that is not comfortable for very long. The correction of the middle lens is also not quite correct for the distance of the monitors.

I see many pictures of shacks with monitors on shelves above the rig, which often puts the bottom edge of the monitor at about the same height as the operators eyes. In my case, the bottom edge of my monitors is very nearly the same height as the top of my gear... still higher than optimal but it works well for me.

A few years ago, when getting new glasses with a new prescription, I also got a pair of single focal length glasses ground to optimize the correction for the distance from my eyes to my monitors when I am sitting in my normal operating position. This distance is a bit longer than the distance for which the middle lens of my tri-focals are ground. In my case the distance to the monitors is 34".

Pete's idea of using reading glasses might work for some people, but most that I have seen have fairly small lenses with not enough vertical space to permit viewing the entire vertical screen real estate without moving your head up and down. 

I keep my "radio" glasses sitting on top of my rig and if I do not switch back to my tri-focals when I get up from the desk, I realize it as soon as I turn toward the door to leave the room, which reminds me to change glasses. This is the way I have worked for about 7 years now and I find the solution to be very satisfactory. 

If you are going to try single focal length glasses I think it is very important to know how far you screens are from your eyes. I believe standard "computer" glasses assume a distance that is 8 to 10" closer than mine are mounted. Also, if your monitors are TOO high no glasses will completely solve the issue of neck pain.

I wish you well.

Dave - K9FN

On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 9:37 PM Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:

Andy K3UK

Jim N7US

I have my two primary monitors on an Ergotron double, swing-arm mount above my equipment. They are straight in from of my face and about 2' from me.

I have used a pair of prescription progressive computer glasses for many years. Straight ahead, everything in in focus up to maybe 6', including the monitors. Not being a touch typist, my keyboard is in focus because they are progressives.

They are my favorite glasses.

Jim N7US

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Subich, W4TV via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2022 21:04
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] DX Lab glasses ?

I passed on the trifocals (as well as progressives) and opted for computer lenses all mid-range several years ago. Although that means changing glasses when I set down to the computer and rig, I prefer it as neither the near or far correction of my bifocals are "good" for the computers and a trifocal vertical angle of view would be far too limited - even for my older air of 19" monitors set with the tops just at eye height.

I'm due for an eye exam (and new glasses) in another month or so and will insist on updated computer lenses as well. I plan to replace the 2 x 19" monitors with a single 40" 4K or UHD monitor this fall and want the maximum possible angle of view.

I may even look into some "computer bifocals" ... primarily mid range with a reading inset set lower than normal for reading papers set on the desk.

... Joe, W4TV

monitors and wear prescription tri-focals. Increasingly , I find
myself having neck pain as I shift my head/eyes to the various Windows
. With an upcoming annual eye exam , I thought I would see if users
here have advice . I have read that professional optometry
organizations feel there is “no need for computer glasses “

Andy K3UK

Mike, K9UW

Andy, feel your pain.  I wear progressive lenses and end up tilting my head back to read a dual monitor setup roughly arm’s length in front of me.  My eyes are level with the top of the monitors so ergonomics isn’t entirely to blame.

My Ophthalmologist wrote me a prescription for conventional (non-progressive) glasses that would allow me to comfortably read the monitors while looking directly at them, and the place I plan to fill the prescription offers “computer” lenses that block blue light.

Mike, K9UW

Amherst, WI

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew OBrien
Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2022 8:37 PM
Subject: [DXLab] DX Lab glasses ?

Andy K3UK

Dave / NR1DX

Andy

Now (due to cataract surgery) my eyes are not that bad. I can almost read most screen data without glasses if I have to. I use progressive lens. If my eyes were a bit worse Iwould and have used  both a cheap pair of singlwe vision glasses or "computer glasses". If you tell the optometrist the distance to the screen you want they can set a prescription for single vision for that sweet spot.

I have two 27" monitors and a home built  set of shelves. The "main monitor" sits directly in front of me the 2nd monitor to the left at about a 25 degree angle and the " Equipment" bay at 25 degrees to the right. Small items Antenna switch, rotor control sit , Receive antenna switches all sit above primary monitor.. If Using two monitors DO NOT put the 2nd monitor above the first this in my experience will give you neck pains

The screens that change a lot : Spot Collector, WSJT and JTAlert are on the main screen in front of me
The Auxiliary Screen on the left display's DXView, DXKeeper and Commander these need minimal attention . When contesting (mostly CW) I close WSJT and run N1MM+ in space normally occupied by WSJT

I don't use rig control software . waste of time  and I am adverse to mouse clicking makes my hands hurt. IF I can get desk cleaned up today ...8^) ....Ill send you (or anyone else for that matter) a photo of the desk shelving and screen layouts if you like

Dave
NR1DX

On 7/17/2022 9:36 PM, Andrew OBrien wrote:

Andy K3UK

fredna2u

I use three monitors.  The center one is 35” (I think).  I wear trifocals.  But, when I’m in the shack I wear bifocals with the regular reading lens at the bottom and the rest is mid-range.  This allows me to read all three monitors comfortably.  YMMV.  GL. 

73 from the desert,

Fred/NA2U/0

On Jul 17, 2022, at 8:37 PM, Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:

Andy K3UK

Larry K8UT

Andy,

I have 5 monitors on an L-shaped desk. All of them are supported on monitor arms with pan/tilt control. A group of three on the left support my programming and development work, and a group of  two on the right are for Ham Radio. I pivot my chair 90 degrees to change between programming and ham radio activities. The monitors are adjusted so that they are {almost} the same distance from my eyes when I scan across them - which facilitates the use of cheap drug-store glasses - with fixed focal lengths - dedicated to being at the desk. Sitting at the desk, I measured the distance between eyes and screens (average of 27" for me) and asked my optometrist which cheap glasses to buy based on my eyesight. 3.0.

Bart AA7VA

Maybe some with blue light filters to keep the eyes from getting "bombed"?  Or filter for the screens - I notice with mine (3x 19") I can have a problem if I am there for very long - I need to get filters - 

Buck

You don't need trifocals to stare at a computer screen.  The distance doesn't change.  Buy some cheap reading glasses and play around with the strength until you're comfortable.  Blue light filtering helps.  Amazon has them in packages for around $7 a pair.  I like the ones that fit over the bridge of the nose instead of those uncomfortable nose pads.

Buck, K4IA
Honor Roll
8BDXCC
Author EasyWayHamBooks.com
License and Operating Manuals
On 7/18/2022 12:09 PM, Bart AA7VA wrote:

Maybe some with blue light filters to keep the eyes from getting "bombed"?  Or filter for the screens - I notice with mine (3x 19") I can have a problem if I am there for very long - I need to get filters - 

Andrew OBrien

Thanks to all for your helpful insights. I discussed with my optometrists today and along with a new set of tri-focals she issued a script for a fixed focal for computer glasses.  I will also spend time using your advice about monitor placement.
Andy K3UK 

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2022-07-18 12:37 PM, Buck wrote:
Buy some cheap reading glasses and play around with the
strength until you're comfortable.
That only works if one has no (or very mild) astigmatism. Some of
us are not so fortunate - my astigmatism correction (cylinder) is
greater than the distance (sphere) corrections.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-07-18 12:37 PM, Buck wrote:
You don't need trifocals to stare at a computer screen.  The distance doesn't change.  Buy some cheap reading glasses and play around with the strength until you're comfortable.  Blue light filtering helps.  Amazon has them in packages for around $7 a pair.  I like the ones that fit over the bridge of the nose instead of those uncomfortable nose pads.
Buck, K4IA
Honor Roll
8BDXCC
Author EasyWayHamBooks.com
License and Operating Manuals
On 7/18/2022 12:09 PM, Bart AA7VA wrote:

W0MU

I got a pair of prescription glasses gradient computer longer range top, reading on the bottom.  Worked great.  Got cataracts and had surgery.  Some days are better than others for viewing. Most days I need nothing.  I just saw my doc and she said to try a 1.0 for my computer work.  I have a 49 inch and 32 inch monitors.

W0MU

On 7/17/2022 8:04 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

I passed on the trifocals (as well as progressives) and opted
for computer lenses all mid-range several years ago.  Although
that means changing glasses when I set down to the computer and
rig, I prefer it as neither the near or far correction of my
bifocals are "good" for the computers and a trifocal vertical
angle of view would be far too limited - even for my older
air of 19" monitors set with the tops just at eye height.

I'm due for an eye exam (and new glasses) in another month or
so and will insist on updated computer lenses as well.  I plan
to replace the 2 x 19" monitors with a single 40" 4K or UHD
monitor this fall and want the maximum possible angle of view.

I may even look into some "computer bifocals" ... primarily mid
range with a reading inset set lower than normal for reading
papers set on the desk.

... Joe, W4TV

monitors and wear prescription tri-focals. Increasingly , I find myself
having neck pain as I shift my head/eyes to the various Windows . With an
upcoming annual eye exam , I thought I would see if users here have advice
. I have read that professional optometry organizations feel there is “no
need  for computer glasses “

Andy K3UK

w6de

Lots of good advice about glasses in this thread.  I use progressive lenses and find they work fine with just a slight tilt back of my head.  Here is an article I wrote a while back about monitor selection and placement.  http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MonitorsForOldEyes

Dave, w6de

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew OBrien via groups.io
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 01:37

Andy K3UK

Larry K8UT

"progressive lenses"

In the last trip to my optometrist, he told me about new "prescription progressive computer glasses" - where the center of the lenses are built for the distance to computer screens. There is still a small segment at the bottom for reading up-close, and a small segment at the top for distance. But the entire center is in-focus when I'm looking at monitors. Not cheap, but I ordered them and love them.

-larry (K8UT)

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 7/18/2022 5:12:13 PM

Lots of good advice about glasses in this thread.  I use progressive lenses and find they work fine with just a slight tilt back of my head.  Here is an article I wrote a while back about monitor selection and placement.  http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MonitorsForOldEyes

Dave, w6de

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew OBrien via groups.io

Andy K3UK

Dave Fugleberg

I took my regular prescription to Costco, and they were able to make a pair like that, where the whole center section is optimized for screen distance. No special prescription required.  Made a HUGE improvement over my normal progressive lenses when using the computer. I use a 34 inch curved monitor for work, and two 20 inch screens for ham radio.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 5:48 PM Larry K8UT <K8UT@...> wrote:
"progressive lenses"

In the last trip to my optometrist, he told me about new "prescription progressive computer glasses" - where the center of the lenses are built for the distance to computer screens. There is still a small segment at the bottom for reading up-close, and a small segment at the top for distance. But the entire center is in-focus when I'm looking at monitors. Not cheap, but I ordered them and love them.

-larry (K8UT)

Dave, w6de

Andy K3UK

Joe Subich, W4TV

In the last trip to my optometrist, he told me about new "prescription
progressive computer glasses" -
Interesting ... a quick on-line search turned up this:
<https://progressive-glasses.com/what-are-computer-progressive-glasses/>

It looks like the "computer progressive lenses" resolve a lot of the
issues I have with standard progressives that have to deal with far
(driving) to near (reading) distances. The much wider field of view
is very appealing - particularly if dealing only with 16" (reading) and
30-36" computer screens.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-07-18 6:48 PM, Larry K8UT wrote:
"progressive lenses"
-larry (K8UT)
To: "DXLab@groups.io" <DXLab@groups.io>

Lots of good advice about glasses in this thread.  I use progressive lenses and find they work fine with just a slight tilt back of my head.  Here is an article I wrote a while back about monitor selection and placement.  http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MonitorsForOldEyes

Dave, w6de

From:DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew OBrien via groups.io
To:DXLab@groups.io

Andy K3UK

Norm_W4QN

The eye strain problem can be somewhat ameliorated by experimenting with the display background colors.  Spot collector seems to be the most 'glaring' at times.  The various display colors are selectable -- SC/Config/ Tab Spot Database Display.  There are color choices for Font Colors, and Background Colors.  

For the Normal select a light Grey, or experiment with some of the LITE 'dirty Greens' . Note check the 'contrast' of Font colors with your choice before finalizing.  I also have different background color choices for LotW, eQSL and Both Lotw & eQSL.  They are Lotw= light Yellow, eQSL= light Blue, and both are light Green, as Yellow + blue = green a simple color mixing logic.

I also use a different Font color choice than the SC defaults.   They are chosen for contrast, and my logic of priority.

Verified =                       Dark GREEN
UnNeeded =                         Black
UnConfirmed =              Bright BLUE
UnWorked Band/Mode=        Magenta
Unworked Counter ATNO=       RED
Tagged/Spcl =                   Orange

Font size and style also effects readability and can be selected in the FONT panel on the SC Display config page

Experiment with font size and background colors to reduce the glare but have readability.

Norm W4QN

--
Norm_W4QN