DX Lab glasses ?

Andrew OBrien

With many DX Lab users using two large screen monitors for all the DXL features , I wonder if users have advice on eye glasses ? I use two monitors and wear prescription tri-focals. Increasingly , I find myself having neck pain as I shift my head/eyes to the various Windows . With an upcoming annual eye exam , I thought I would see if users here have advice . I have read that professional optometry organizations feel there is “no need  for computer glasses “

Andy K3UK

Pete Smith

My situation (two monitors and trifocals) is the same as yours, but so far, at least, I have not been troubled.  I have taken care to place my two 27"monitors close together side-by-side at a height that avoids neck pain, for me anyhow.  I have also experimented with a pair of 2.5 diopter drugstore glasses, and find they work fine, but since the middle range of my trifocals also works well, I have opted to avoid the inconvenience of swapping glasses.

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <https://reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 7/17/2022 9:36 PM, Andrew OBrien wrote:

With many DX Lab users using two large screen monitors for all the DXL features , I wonder if users have advice on eye glasses ? I use two monitors and wear prescription tri-focals. Increasingly , I find myself having neck pain as I shift my head/eyes to the various Windows . With an upcoming annual eye exam , I thought I would see if users here have advice . I have read that professional optometry organizations feel there is “no need  for computer glasses “

Andy K3UK

Inbody, Don

I got a special prescription from my ophthalmologist for computer glasses, single vision. Buy cheap frames and keep a pair by your computer.

On Sun, Jul 17, 2022, 20:36 Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:

With many DX Lab users using two large screen monitors for all the DXL features , I wonder if users have advice on eye glasses ? I use two monitors and wear prescription tri-focals. Increasingly , I find myself having neck pain as I shift my head/eyes to the various Windows . With an upcoming annual eye exam , I thought I would see if users here have advice . I have read that professional optometry organizations feel there is “no need  for computer glasses “

Andy K3UK

Joe Subich, W4TV

I passed on the trifocals (as well as progressives) and opted
for computer lenses all mid-range several years ago. Although
that means changing glasses when I set down to the computer and
rig, I prefer it as neither the near or far correction of my
bifocals are "good" for the computers and a trifocal vertical
angle of view would be far too limited - even for my older
air of 19" monitors set with the tops just at eye height.

I'm due for an eye exam (and new glasses) in another month or
so and will insist on updated computer lenses as well. I plan
to replace the 2 x 19" monitors with a single 40" 4K or UHD
monitor this fall and want the maximum possible angle of view.

I may even look into some "computer bifocals" ... primarily mid
range with a reading inset set lower than normal for reading
papers set on the desk.

On 2022-07-17 9:36 PM, Andrew OBrien wrote:
With many DX Lab users using two large screen monitors for all the DXL
features , I wonder if users have advice on eye glasses ? I use two
monitors and wear prescription tri-focals. Increasingly , I find myself
having neck pain as I shift my head/eyes to the various Windows . With an
upcoming annual eye exam , I thought I would see if users here have advice
. I have read that professional optometry organizations feel there is “no
need for computer glasses “
Andy K3UK

David Bunte

Andy -

I also use dual monitors and have worn tri-Focals for about 30 years. To conserve desk space, my 27" monitors are mounted on the wall directly in front of me, but they are mounted higher than optimal, so my rig does not block my view. Thus, looking at them through the middle lens of my tri-focals means I need to tilt my head back a bit, and that is not comfortable for very long. The correction of the middle lens is also not quite correct for the distance of the monitors.

I see many pictures of shacks with monitors on shelves above the rig, which often puts the bottom edge of the monitor at about the same height as the operators eyes. In my case, the bottom edge of my monitors is very nearly the same height as the top of my gear... still higher than optimal but it works well for me.

A few years ago, when getting new glasses with a new prescription, I also got a pair of single focal length glasses ground to optimize the correction for the distance from my eyes to my monitors when I am sitting in my normal operating position. This distance is a bit longer than the distance for which the middle lens of my tri-focals are ground. In my case the distance to the monitors is 34".

Pete's idea of using reading glasses might work for some people, but most that I have seen have fairly small lenses with not enough vertical space to permit viewing the entire vertical screen real estate without moving your head up and down.

I keep my "radio" glasses sitting on top of my rig and if I do not switch back to my tri-focals when I get up from the desk, I realize it as soon as I turn toward the door to leave the room, which reminds me to change glasses. This is the way I have worked for about 7 years now and I find the solution to be very satisfactory.

If you are going to try single focal length glasses I think it is very important to know how far you screens are from your eyes. I believe standard "computer" glasses assume a distance that is 8 to 10" closer than mine are mounted. Also, if your monitors are TOO high no glasses will completely solve the issue of neck pain.

I wish you well.

Dave - K9FN

On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 9:37 PM Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:

With many DX Lab users using two large screen monitors for all the DXL features , I wonder if users have advice on eye glasses ? I use two monitors and wear prescription tri-focals. Increasingly , I find myself having neck pain as I shift my head/eyes to the various Windows . With an upcoming annual eye exam , I thought I would see if users here have advice . I have read that professional optometry organizations feel there is “no need  for computer glasses “

Andy K3UK

Jim N7US

I have my two primary monitors on an Ergotron double, swing-arm mount above my equipment. They are straight in from of my face and about 2' from me.

I have used a pair of prescription progressive computer glasses for many years. Straight ahead, everything in in focus up to maybe 6', including the monitors. Not being a touch typist, my keyboard is in focus because they are progressives.

They are my favorite glasses.

Jim N7US

On 2022-07-17 9:36 PM, Andrew OBrien wrote:
With many DX Lab users using two large screen monitors for all the DXL
features , I wonder if users have advice on eye glasses ? I use two
monitors and wear prescription tri-focals. Increasingly , I find
myself having neck pain as I shift my head/eyes to the various Windows
. With an upcoming annual eye exam , I thought I would see if users
here have advice . I have read that professional optometry
organizations feel there is “no need for computer glasses “

Andy K3UK

Mike, K9UW

Andy, feel your pain.  I wear progressive lenses and end up tilting my head back to read a dual monitor setup roughly arm’s length in front of me.  My eyes are level with the top of the monitors so ergonomics isn’t entirely to blame.

My Ophthalmologist wrote me a prescription for conventional (non-progressive) glasses that would allow me to comfortably read the monitors while looking directly at them, and the place I plan to fill the prescription offers “computer” lenses that block blue light.

73,

Mike, K9UW

Amherst, WI

On 2022-07-18 12:37 PM, Buck wrote:
Buy some cheap reading glasses and play around with the
strength until you're comfortable.
That only works if one has no (or very mild) astigmatism. Some of
us are not so fortunate - my astigmatism correction (cylinder) is
greater than the distance (sphere) corrections.

On 2022-07-18 12:37 PM, Buck wrote:
You don't need trifocals to stare at a computer screen.  The distance doesn't change.  Buy some cheap reading glasses and play around with the strength until you're comfortable.  Blue light filtering helps.  Amazon has them in packages for around $7 a pair.  I like the ones that fit over the bridge of the nose instead of those uncomfortable nose pads.
Buck, K4IA
Honor Roll
8BDXCC
Author EasyWayHamBooks.com
License and Operating Manuals
On 7/18/2022 12:09 PM, Bart AA7VA wrote:
Maybe some with blue light filters to keep the eyes from getting "bombed"?  Or filter for the screens - I notice with mine (3x 19") I can have a problem if I am there for very long - I need to get filters -

W0MU

I got a pair of prescription glasses gradient computer longer range top, reading on the bottom.  Worked great.  Got cataracts and had surgery.  Some days are better than others for viewing. Most days I need nothing.  I just saw my doc and she said to try a 1.0 for my computer work.  I have a 49 inch and 32 inch monitors.

W0MU

On 2022-07-17 9:36 PM, Andrew OBrien wrote:
With many DX Lab users using two large screen monitors for all the DXL
features , I wonder if users have advice on eye glasses ? I use two
monitors and wear prescription tri-focals. Increasingly , I find myself
having neck pain as I shift my head/eyes to the various Windows . With an
upcoming annual eye exam , I thought I would see if users here have advice
. I have read that professional optometry organizations feel there is “no
need  for computer glasses “

Andy K3UK

w6de

Lots of good advice about glasses in this thread.  I use progressive lenses and find they work fine with just a slight tilt back of my head.  Here is an article I wrote a while back about monitor selection and placement.  http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MonitorsForOldEyes

73,

Dave, w6de

With many DX Lab users using two large screen monitors for all the DXL features , I wonder if users have advice on eye glasses ? I use two monitors and wear prescription tri-focals. Increasingly , I find myself having neck pain as I shift my head/eyes to the various Windows . With an upcoming annual eye exam , I thought I would see if users here have advice . I have read that professional optometry organizations feel there is “no need  for computer glasses “

Andy K3UK

Larry K8UT

"progressive lenses"

In the last trip to my optometrist, he told me about new "prescription progressive computer glasses" - where the center of the lenses are built for the distance to computer screens. There is still a small segment at the bottom for reading up-close, and a small segment at the top for distance. But the entire center is in-focus when I'm looking at monitors. Not cheap, but I ordered them and love them.

-larry (K8UT)

Lots of good advice about glasses in this thread.  I use progressive lenses and find they work fine with just a slight tilt back of my head.  Here is an article I wrote a while back about monitor selection and placement.  http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MonitorsForOldEyes

73,

Dave, w6de

With many DX Lab users using two large screen monitors for all the DXL features , I wonder if users have advice on eye glasses ? I use two monitors and wear prescription tri-focals. Increasingly , I find myself having neck pain as I shift my head/eyes to the various Windows . With an upcoming annual eye exam , I thought I would see if users here have advice . I have read that professional optometry organizations feel there is “no need  for computer glasses “

Andy K3UK

Dave Fugleberg

I took my regular prescription to Costco, and they were able to make a pair like that, where the whole center section is optimized for screen distance. No special prescription required.  Made a HUGE improvement over my normal progressive lenses when using the computer. I use a 34 inch curved monitor for work, and two 20 inch screens for ham radio.

"progressive lenses"