David
A92GE

Joe Subich, W4TV

Would it be possible to have a user defined "script" button like the SQL filter buttons?
The Script button already exists. Click the '~' at the right end of
the filter box to show the user defined filters. The right most
button is "Scripts" and will open your Script directory from which
you can select any script.

On 2022-06-15 6:59 AM, David A92GE via groups.io wrote:
Enhancement request. I have a script which I run daily to extract Log Data for upload to qrz.com. Would it be possible to have a user defined "script" button like the SQL filter buttons?
73
David
A92GE

David A92GE

That is what I am trying to avoid. The Scripts button requires you to find (in a long list) the script you want to execute and also does not necessarily open in the Scripts Directory (for instance if you have previously done an import from the Desktop, it will open the desktop folder) and then you have to navigate through to the Script Directory before selecting the script. It is clumsy and the wrong script can be selected as well. I would just like to be able to assign a script to a button and when the button is pressed it is executed. Just the same way as I can do preassigned SQL tasks. It is no big deal just an idea I thought could be useful to others as well.

73

David
A92GE

That is what I am trying to avoid. The Scripts button requires you to find (in a long list) the script you want to execute and also does not necessarily open in the Scripts Directory (for instance if you have previously done an import from the Desktop, it will open the desktop folder) and then you have to navigate through to the Script Directory before selecting the script. It is clumsy and the wrong script can be selected as well.

+ I don't know what "previously done an import from the Desktop" means, but the pathname of the folder whose contents are displayed in the "Run Scripts" window that appears when you invoke the Scripts function from either the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab or the "Advanced Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window is only modified when you use the "Run Scripts" folder to navigate to a different window.

+ If you have a lot of scripts, most of which you use only infrequently, consider adding an "Infrequent" folder to your Scripts folder, and relocate all of your infrequently-used scripts to that new "Infrequent" folder. Now your Scripts folder will contain a lesser number entries for frequently-used scripts, improving selection accuracy.

I would just like to be able to assign a script to a button and when the button is pressed it is executed. Just the same way as I can do preassigned SQL tasks. It is no big deal just an idea I thought could be useful to others as well.

+ Adding an array of user-defined script buttons beneath the Filter panel on the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab would be technically straightforward, but would increase the height of the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab. Unless someone suggests a way to avoid enlarging the height of the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab, such a change would require broad support from the user community.

+ One way to do that would be for depressing the CTRL key while clicking the Filter panel's ~ button display a new "Quick Scripts" window with, say, 8 script buttons. But those scripts would be no more accessible than limiting your Scripts folder to ~8 frequently-used scripts, as suggested above.

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2022-06-16 8:45 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ One way to do that would be for depressing the CTRL key while clicking the Filter panel's ~ button display a new "Quick Scripts" window with, say, 8 script buttons. But those scripts would be no more accessible than limiting your Scripts folder to ~8 frequently-used scripts, as suggested above.
What about ... Ctrl-~ selects a set of four "script buttons" that directly access one of four scripts. Mate that with using Ctrl-~
in the SQL Query Filters panel of Advanced Sorts to define the path
to the four scripts.

If the "Scripts" were displayed in wither the Main Window, *either* a
click or ctrl-click on the ~ would return to the default filters. If
"Scripts" were displayed in the SQL Filters pane, either click or
ctrl-click on the ~ would return to SQL Query Filters 1-4.

Alternatively, a Ctrl-click on the "Scripts" buttons would replace
the SQL filter buttons with a set of Script buttons ... similar
approach to configuring those buttons maybe a page between SQL Query Filters 13-16 and 1-4.

+ AA6YQ comments below

@ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ Thanks, but those approaches would cause some users to be confused by the disappearance of the Filter buttons.

Joe Subich, W4TV

+ Thanks, but those approaches would cause some users to be confused by the disappearance of the Filter buttons.
No more so than the current implementation causes confusion when the
filters change.

@ AA6YQ comments below

@ more AA6YQ comments below
+ Thanks, but those approaches would cause some users to be confused by the disappearance of the Filter buttons.
No more so than the current implementation causes confusion when the
filters change.

@ The panel caption remains "Filter", which is evidently enough of a reminder. Changing the panel caption to "Scripts" when the use strikes CTRL-~ would cause confusion because the Filter panel would disappear.

David A92GE

Sorry, a lot of conversation has happened whilst I have been away, but from my perspective the issue would be solved if when clicking the Script button it always opened the Scripts directory, but it doesn't. As I tried to explain, probably not well, if say, you have imported an adi file located in the desktop, then when you invoke the scripts button the folder which opens is the Desktop, not the scripts folder.

For me, my 6m setup is separate from my HF set up, but my "Master" log is kept on the HF machine. So at the moment almost daily I export the days 6m contacts to an ADIF file, import them into my HF DXKeeper log, then do all my LotW, eQSL, qrz.com syncs. So I import an ADIF and then invoke a script command to generate a file for upload to qrz.com. And I can assure you the Script button always point to where the last imported adif file was located.

Hope that makes it clear.

73

David
A92GE

Sorry, a lot of conversation has happened whilst I have been away, but from my perspective the issue would be solved if when clicking the Script button it always opened the Scripts directory, but it doesn't.

+ I've sent you a new version of DXKeeper that corrects this defect.

+ Please let me know how it goes...

David A92GE

I have replied via email, but just in case anyone is following this thread I can confirm that your new version indeed solves the problem. Many thanks.

73
David
A92GE