Topics

Download of DXLab Issue

Alan Swinger

I downloaded DX Lab suite and all programs onto my new computer. Now I have a Window that is titled: "DXKeeper initialization" which asks for my Callsign. However, it will not let me type in the callsign! It will also NOT let me close the window!?

What do I do?

Alan K9MBQ 

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Oct 25, 2019 5:47 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io, DXLab group help
Subject: Re: [DXLab] WinWarbler Soundcard plugs on new PC

Problem solved by replacing the external StarTech soundcard w/ a new simpler UGreen soundcard - USB on one side and two 1/8 in plugs for the K3 Line In & Out jacks on the other side. Receive and transmit all OK and have made several RTTY QSOs.  WW Soundcard readings are: PSK/RTTY Reception - Windows Default SC;  PSK/RTTY Transmi  Speakers (USB Audio Device); Phone Xmit- Spkrs/Headphones (Realtech). Also picked up a Splitter cable suggested by Jim W7VM that I will try with the single 1/8 in (3.5 mm) sound jack and let all know what I find. - Alan K9MBQ 

Sent: Oct 24, 2019 8:31 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io

Not the amp . . . working all other modes/bands OK. Thinking maybe soundcard affected perhaps by near field radiation . . . but just guessing. - Alan

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 6:20 PM iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@...> wrote:
The signal disappears when you turn your amp on, and you think it's a
soundcard problem?!?

Do you still hear the tones through the K3's speaker when this happens?

Kinda sounds like your amp's T/R may be toast, but that would affect
all modes......

~iain / N6ML

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 1:40 PM Alan Swinger <alan.swinger@...> wrote:
>
> I do have a sub recvr but did not turn it in when going split . . . and VFO A remained on DX Freq. However, I also turned on my linear at about the same time as going split. Just came back a few hrs later, turned on the K3 and heard the DX (5K0K) again. WW appeared to be working OK (not real clear ovals but nonetheless decoding). This time I did not push the split button but did turn on power to my alpha 8410 . . . . the ovals on the screen collapsed to the center. Am beginning to think that this Startech soundcard may have a problem.  - Alan K9MBQ
>
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 3:47 PM iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@...> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 12:01 PM Alan Swinger <awswinger@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > Joe and Dave - I did all the suggested actions you gave me. So:
>> > - Have Soundcard Reception set to Microphone (2 USB Advanced Audio) . . . which is what Dave's suggestions confirmed
>> > - Did the 0 db setting per Joe
>> > - K3 Lin Out set at 18
>> > - Privacy settings are correct
>> >
>> > Initial result on hearing a RTTY signal was  - it is working. So, since it was DX I went to Split and the ovals collapsed as no intelligible text on screen. Also ovals are expanded but appears to be a lot of noise on the waterfall and the ovals also are no longer clear and distinct. I also shifted USB ports but that did not help.
>>
>> Do you have a sub-receiver in the K3? Did you turn it on when you when
>> split? From what you're describing, it sounds like the RTTY decoder is
>> getting the output from your sub instead of main... or at least a
>> receiver that's not on the DX frequency. Is VFO A still on the DX
>> frequency when this happens?
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>     ~iain / N6ML
>>
>>
>>
>

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I downloaded DX Lab suite and all programs onto my new computer. Now I have a Window that is titled: "DXKeeper initialization" which asks for my Callsign. However, it will not let me type in the callsign! It will also NOT let me close the window!?
What do I do?

+ That window is displayed by a standard Microsoft-provided mechanism (InputBox) that has no provision for preventing user input. Combining that with the fact that over the ~18 years since DXKeeper was first released, no one has reported the behavior you describe above, it's likely that the root cause lies in your system's hardware or software; where specifically, I can't say.

Dave, AA6YQ

Alan Swinger

Pls disregard . . . it was an operator problem! - Alan K9MBQ

Sent: Oct 25, 2019 3:45 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io, DXLab@groups.io, DXLab group help
Subject: [DXLab] Download of DXLab Issue

What do I do?

Alan K9MBQ 

Sent: Oct 25, 2019 5:47 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io, DXLab group help

Problem solved by replacing the external StarTech soundcard w/ a new simpler UGreen soundcard - USB on one side and two 1/8 in plugs for the K3 Line In & Out jacks on the other side. Receive and transmit all OK and have made several RTTY QSOs.  WW Soundcard readings are: PSK/RTTY Reception - Windows Default SC;  PSK/RTTY Transmi  Speakers (USB Audio Device); Phone Xmit- Spkrs/Headphones (Realtech). Also picked up a Splitter cable suggested by Jim W7VM that I will try with the single 1/8 in (3.5 mm) sound jack and let all know what I find. - Alan K9MBQ 

Sent: Oct 24, 2019 8:31 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io

Not the amp . . . working all other modes/bands OK. Thinking maybe soundcard affected perhaps by near field radiation . . . but just guessing. - Alan

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 6:20 PM iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@...> wrote:
The signal disappears when you turn your amp on, and you think it's a
soundcard problem?!?

Do you still hear the tones through the K3's speaker when this happens?

Kinda sounds like your amp's T/R may be toast, but that would affect
all modes......

~iain / N6ML

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 1:40 PM Alan Swinger <alan.swinger@...> wrote:
>
> I do have a sub recvr but did not turn it in when going split . . . and VFO A remained on DX Freq. However, I also turned on my linear at about the same time as going split. Just came back a few hrs later, turned on the K3 and heard the DX (5K0K) again. WW appeared to be working OK (not real clear ovals but nonetheless decoding). This time I did not push the split button but did turn on power to my alpha 8410 . . . . the ovals on the screen collapsed to the center. Am beginning to think that this Startech soundcard may have a problem.  - Alan K9MBQ
>
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 3:47 PM iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@...> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 12:01 PM Alan Swinger <awswinger@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > Joe and Dave - I did all the suggested actions you gave me. So:
>> > - Have Soundcard Reception set to Microphone (2 USB Advanced Audio) . . . which is what Dave's suggestions confirmed
>> > - Did the 0 db setting per Joe
>> > - K3 Lin Out set at 18
>> > - Privacy settings are correct
>> >
>> > Initial result on hearing a RTTY signal was  - it is working. So, since it was DX I went to Split and the ovals collapsed as no intelligible text on screen. Also ovals are expanded but appears to be a lot of noise on the waterfall and the ovals also are no longer clear and distinct. I also shifted USB ports but that did not help.
>>
>> Do you have a sub-receiver in the K3? Did you turn it on when you when
>> split? From what you're describing, it sounds like the RTTY decoder is
>> getting the output from your sub instead of main... or at least a
>> receiver that's not on the DX frequency. Is VFO A still on the DX
>> frequency when this happens?
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>     ~iain / N6ML
>>
>>
>>
>

Alan Swinger

Sorry for the false alarm - operator prob! - Alan

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 5:46 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

What do I do?

+ That window is displayed by a standard Microsoft-provided mechanism (InputBox) that has no provision for preventing user input. Combining that with the fact that over the ~18 years since DXKeeper was first released, no one has reported the behavior you describe above, it's likely that the root cause lies in your system's hardware or software; where specifically, I can't say.

Dave, AA6YQ