Topics

Double Click Call in Spot Collector > WSJT-X Transmit?

Hasan Schiers N0AN

I have not had things configured to do this in some time and I have forgotten how make this work.

I want to be able to double click on a Spot and have it cause WSJT-X to initiate the call. Right now, when I double click, I get a beep, the call is filled in properly in WSJT-X, but it does not light up the Enable light in WSJT-X.

I'm sure it's something silly, but I can't bring it back and reading the sections in "Getting Started" has not revealed the secret to me.

Help, please.

73, N0AN
Hasan

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Perhaps, I'm not remembering how this is supposed to work.

From my reading I see:

If SpotCollector is connected to an instance of WSJT-X whose current band and K1JT mode match those of the double-clicked Spot Database Entry, the Entry's Callsign and DX Grid information will be conveyed to that instance of WSJT-X, which if it's version 2.1.2 or later will populate its DX Call and DX Grid boxes, and invoke its Generate Std Msgs function

All of that IS happening, the only thing missing is the Enable Tx button is not lighting up in Red as I have expected. Is something not set right, or is it not supposed to initiate a transmission if I double click on a spot in SpotCollector?

73, N0AN

Hasan

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 3:20 PM Hasan Schiers N0AN via groups.io <hbasri.schiers6=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

+ That capability is not available because WSJT-X doesn’t provide an API that would initiate transmission -- for good reason, in my view!

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Thanks Dave, double clicking on a JTAlert callsign in its rows of displayed callsigns does just that,(initiates a call, with all info filled in) so I guess I was mis-remembering.
73, N0AN

Hasan

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 4:02 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I have not had things configured to do this in some time and I have forgotten how make this work.

I want to be able to double click on a Spot and have it cause WSJT-X to initiate the call. Right now, when I double click, I get a beep, the call is filled in properly in WSJT-X, but it does not light up the Enable light in WSJT-X.

I'm sure it's something silly, but I can't bring it back and reading the sections in "Getting Started" has not revealed the secret to me.

+ That capability is not available because WSJT-X doesn’t provide an API that would initiate transmission -- for good reason, in my view!

Joe Subich, W4TV

All of that IS happening, the only thing missing is the Enable Tx
button is not lighting up in Red as I have expected. Is something not
set right, or is it not supposed to initiate a transmission if I
double click on a spot in SpotCollector?
WSJT-X does not provide an API that will allow an external application
to activate the "Enable TX" function. *IF* you have previously checked
"Enable TX" double clicking on a call in either SpotCollector or JTAlert
will initiate transmission. *IF* "Enable TX" is not checked, double
clicking in either SpotCollector or JTAlert will not initiate
transmission (just as double clicking on a call in WSJTX will not

On 2020-10-29 4:53 PM, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:
Perhaps, I'm not remembering how this is supposed to work.
From my reading I see:
On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 3:20 PM Hasan Schiers N0AN via groups.io <http://groups.io>; <hbasri.schiers6=gmail.com@groups.io <mailto:gmail.com@groups.io>> wrote:
I have not had things configured to do this in some time and I have
forgotten how make this work.
I want to be able to double click on a Spot and have it cause WSJT-X
to initiate the call. Right now, when I double click, I get a beep,
the call is filled in properly in WSJT-X, but it does not light up
the Enable light in WSJT-X.
I'm sure it's something silly, but I can't bring it back and reading
the sections in "Getting Started" has not revealed the secret to me.
Help, please.
73, N0AN
Hasan

Thanks Dave, double clicking on a JTAlert callsign in its rows of displayed callsigns does just that,(initiates a call, with all info filled in) so I guess I was mis-remembering.
+ I'll have to check the WSJT-X API documentation again to see how that's being done...

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Joe,
Now I am really confused. I do have 'double click on call sets Tx Enable' checked.

If I double click on a call in the WSJT-X Band Activity window, it does indeed cause X to go into normal transmit just fine.

However, if I do the same thing in SpotCollector, it fills in all the data in X, but does not initiate a transmission.

If I understand you correctly, it should.

Ideas?

73, N0AN
Hasan

On 2020-10-29 4:53 PM, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:
> Perhaps, I'm not remembering how this is supposed to work.
>
>  From my reading I see:
>
> If SpotCollector is connected to an instance of WSJT-X whose current
> band and /K1JT mode/ match those of the double-clicked Spot Database
> Entry, the Entry's Callsign and DX Grid information will be conveyed to
> that instance of WSJT-X, which if it's version 2.1.2 or later will
> populate its *DX Call* and *DX Grid* boxes, and invoke its *Generate Std
> Msgs* function
>
> All of that IS happening, the only thing missing is the Enable Tx button
> is not lighting up in Red as I have expected. Is something not set
> right, or is it not supposed to initiate a transmission if I double
> click on a spot in SpotCollector?
>
> 73, N0AN
>
> Hasan
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 3:20 PM Hasan Schiers N0AN via groups.io
> <http://groups.io> <hbasri.schiers6=gmail.com@groups.io
> <mailto:gmail.com@groups.io>> wrote:
>
>     I have not had things configured to do this in some time and I have
>     forgotten how make this work.
>
>     I want to be able to double click on a Spot and have it cause WSJT-X
>     to initiate the call. Right now, when I double click, I get a beep,
>     the call is filled in properly in WSJT-X, but it does not light up
>     the Enable light in WSJT-X.
>
>     I'm sure it's something silly, but I can't bring it back and reading
>     the sections in "Getting Started" has not revealed the secret to me.
>
>     Help, please.
>
>     73, N0AN
>     Hasan

Joe Subich, W4TV

If I understand you correctly, it should.
No, it should not. The WSJTX API that allows an external application
to place a call in "DX CALL" does not allow the external application
to click the TX Enable button.

You must manually select TX Enable before double clicking a call in
an external application. As Dave (here) and Laurie (on HamApps)
have repeatedly advised, this is a requirement by K1JT to prevent
developers from turning WSJTX into a "Robot".

Joe,