Display QSO partner's full name in DXKeeper

Daniel W9DGI

I would like DXKeeper to display the full name of the QSO partner (obtained from, say, QRZ.com), not just the first name. I haven't found a way to do this in the documentation or the Wiki, but I hope it's possible! How can this be accomplished? (Note: QSOs imported from my previous logging software do show the full name in DCKeeper, but QSOs logged in DXLab do not.)
Thanks!
73
Daniel W9DGI

I would like DXKeeper to display the full name of the QSO partner (obtained from, say, QRZ.com), not just the first name. I haven't found a way to do this in the documentation or the Wiki, but I hope it's possible! How can this be accomplished? (Note: QSOs imported from my previous logging software do show the full name in DCKeeper, but QSOs logged in DXLab do not.)

+ If reported by the callbook you are using, you will find your QSO partner's full name on the first line of the "addr" item, which you can see by making the QSL panel visible on the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab.

You can add the "addr" item to the Log Page Display, which will make your QSO partner's full name visible there as well.

+ This component of the reference documentation describes every item logged with each QSO, and the panel in the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab in which it appears:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Items.htm

+ It is also accessible by clicking on of DXKeeper's Help buttons, and navigating to the "Log Items" section near the bottom.

+ Adding a new column to the Log Page Display is described here step-by-step:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/LogPageDisplayConfiguration

Daniel W9DGI

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your prompt reply!

Yes, I’d thought of that (substituting <addr> for <name> in the Log Page Display), but wouldn’t that also change the displayed names for QSOs logged with my previous logging software? I’d also thought of adding last names by editing each log entry, but that seems cumbersome.

(One of the problems here is the treatment of some Asian names, where the family name is often given first, followed by the individual’s given name. I’m not sure how QRZ handles these.)

There are lots of options shown on the Configuration/General and Configuration/Log panes. Would it be possible to add a check box (“display first name only") to the “options” or “Log QSOs options” or “Log Page Display” panes? I would welcome having that choice!

Thanks for all you do, Dave, to keep these programs useful and robust!

73

Daniel W9DGI

Yes, I’d thought of that (substituting <addr> for <name> in the Log Page Display), but wouldn’t that also change the displayed names for QSOs logged with my previous logging software?

+ There'd be no change to any logged QSO. The Name items of QSOs logged with your previous logging application would still contain a first and last name. If your previous logging application included the first and last name of your QSO partner in the first line of the Addr field, then those would appear in the Log Page Display column assigned to the Addr item.

I’d also thought of adding last names by editing each log entry, but that seems cumbersome.

+ You'd have to write a small program to extract the first line of each QSO's Addr item and place it in each QSO's Name item.

I suppose that the pruning of the last names is something that’s done in the DXLabs software, by displaying only <fname> from the data returned by qrz.com <http://qrz.com/> . But couldn't you also display the last name {<name> from QRZ), appending it to <fname>? Note: I’ve only considered QRZ’s callsign data fields; I don’t know about the other possible sources!

+ I would have done so if I thought it was a good idea. Hams rarely use last names over the air; having the last name present in the Name item would be distracting for many of us. Also, it would require making the Name item significantly wider in order to display both first and last names, bothin the Capture window and in the QSO panel at the top of the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab; space is at a premium in both of those windows.

(One of the problems here is the treatment of some Asian names, where the family name is often given first, followed by the individual’s given name. I’m not sure how QRZ handles these.)

+ If QRZ is reporting the wrong first name, that's a defect in QRZ.

There are lots of options shown on the Configuration/General and Configuration/Log panes. Would it be possible to add a check box (“display first name only") to the “options” or “Log QSOs options” or “Log Page Display” panes? I would welcome having that choice!

+ Every new option increases perceived complexity, particularly for new users. Given that the request would require expanding the existing Name items in the Main and Capture windows, and that there's a way to accommodate the request via the Addr item, a new option is in my view not justified.