Topics

Different Azimuths - SpotCollector & DXView

Mike VA3LR

I just realized that I failed to input my new Lat & Long coordinates since I got set up at our new QTH a few weeks ago.  I then notice that the Azimuths noted on in Spot Collector are different than DXView.  For example, ZS1OPB has been spotted with a 97 degree azimuth from my QTH ... but when I double click on the spot, DXView initially show the short path as 97 degrees also, but after a split second it changes to 110 degrees.  Why would this be happening?

I have confirmed that applications that require DXView and SpotCollector are both showing my new Lat and Long within their respective Configurations.

Thanks.

73
Mike
VA3LR

I just realized that I failed to input my new Lat & Long coordinates since I got set up at our new QTH a few weeks ago. I then notice that the Azimuths noted on in Spot Collector are different than DXView. For example, ZS1OPB has been spotted with a 97 degree azimuth from my QTH ... but when I double click on the spot, DXView initially show the short path as 97 degrees also, but after a split second it changes to 110 degrees. Why would this be happening?

+ Do you have previous QSOs with ZS1OPB in your log? If so, what latitude and longitude is specified in these previous QSOs?

Mike VA3LR

Dave
No I do not. I have subsequently tried a few other spots listed in SpotCollector and although there are some azimuth that are different, they are only off by one or 2 degrees. It seems as though ZD1OPB is significantly off (97 vs 110)

Mike
VA3LR

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 4:16 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I just realized that I failed to input my new Lat & Long coordinates since I got set up at our new QTH a few weeks ago.  I then notice that the Azimuths noted on in Spot Collector are different than DXView.  For example, ZS1OPB has been spotted with a 97 degree azimuth from my QTH ... but when I double click on the spot, DXView initially show the short path as 97 degrees also, but after a split second it changes to 110 degrees.  Why would this be happening?

+ Do you have previous QSOs with ZS1OPB in your log? If so, what latitude and longitude is specified in these previous QSOs?

No I do not. I have subsequently tried a few other spots listed in SpotCollector and although there are some azimuth that are different, they are only off by one or 2 degrees. It seems as though ZD1OPB is significantly off (97 vs 110)

+ What latitude and longitude have you specified in the "Operator location" panel on the General tab of SpotCollector's Configuration window?

+ What latitude and longitude have you specified in the QTH panel on the General tab of DXView's Configuration window?

+ When you type ZS1OPB into the callsign box on DXView's Main window and then strike the Enter key, what short path heading does DXView display?

Mike VA3LR

## VA3LR reply below

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 5:34 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

No I do not. I have subsequently tried a few other spots listed in SpotCollector and although there are some azimuth that are different, they are only off by one or 2 degrees. It seems as though ZD1OPB is significantly off (97 vs 110)

+ What latitude and longitude have you specified in the "Operator location" panel on the General tab of SpotCollector's Configuration window?

##  Lat 43 26' 20" N   Long 80 5' 42" W

+ What latitude and longitude have you specified in the QTH panel on the General tab of DXView's Configuration window?

##  Lat 43 26' 20" N   Long 80 5' 42" W

+ When you type ZS1OPB into the callsign box on DXView's Main window and then strike the Enter key, what short path heading does DXView display?

## 97 Degrees
## However, when I double click on the spot within SpotCollector, it prefills ZS1OPB information whit a Short Path heading of 97 degrees, but I second later it changes to 110 degrees

* More AA6YQ commnents below

No I do not. I have subsequently tried a few other spots listed in SpotCollector and although there are some azimuth that are different, they are only off by one or 2 degrees. It seems as though ZD1OPB is significantly off (97 vs 110)

+ What latitude and longitude have you specified in the "Operator location" panel on the General tab of SpotCollector's Configuration window?

## Lat 43 26' 20" N Long 80 5' 42" W

+ What latitude and longitude have you specified in the QTH panel on the General tab of DXView's Configuration window?

## Lat 43 26' 20" N Long 80 5' 42" W

+ When you type ZS1OPB into the callsign box on DXView's Main window and then strike the Enter key, what short path heading does DXView display?

## 97 Degrees
## However, when I double click on the spot within SpotCollector, it prefills ZS1OPB information whit a Short Path heading of 97 degrees, but I second later it changes to 110 degrees

* Thanks. In the Spot Database Entry for ZS1OPB that you are double-clicking, what is specified in the DXGrid column?

Mike VA3LR

== more VA3LR comments below.

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 6:20 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
* More AA6YQ commnents below

[...]

== 97 degrees

** more AA6YQ comments below

[...]

** That's what is specified in the Azimuth column.

** What is specified in the DXGrid column of the Spot Database Entry for ZS1OPB that you are double-clicking?

** If you don't currently have a DXGrid column in the Spot Database Display, this article explains how to add it:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SpotDatabaseFormat>

Mike VA3LR

%% more VA3LR comments below.

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 9:43 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
[...]

%% KG44

@ more AA6YQ comments below

** What is specified in the DXGrid column of the Spot Database Entry for ZS1OPB that you are double-clicking?

%% KG44

@ Thanks. The azimuth to KG44 from your QTH is 97 degrees.

@ When I query SpotCollector with

DXGrid like '*JF96*'

@ exactly one Spot Database Entry appears: ZS1OPD on 17m SSB at 1713 on 2019-12-07. This Entry was created from a spot by N2MAC with spot notes that specify FN30JR<>JF96gc

@ ZS1OPB's QRZ page specifies a grid square of JF96GJ.

@ Thus the azimuth of 110 is correct. SpotCollector provided you with a more accurate heading (than DXView) because you have it configured to inspect Spot Notes for information like a grid square, which N2MAC included with his spot of ZS1OPB (though he got the last character wrong).

Mike VA3LR

&& final VA3LR comments ...

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 10:06 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
@ more AA6YQ comments below

        ** What is specified in the DXGrid column of the Spot Database Entry for ZS1OPB that you are double-clicking?

%% KG44

@ Thanks. The azimuth to KG44 from your QTH is 97 degrees.

@ When I query SpotCollector with

DXGrid like '*JF96*'

@ exactly one Spot Database Entry appears: ZS1OPD on 17m SSB at 1713 on 2019-12-07. This Entry was created from a spot by N2MAC with spot notes that specify FN30JR<>JF96gc

@ ZS1OPB's QRZ page specifies a grid square of JF96GJ.

@ Thus the azimuth of 110 is correct. SpotCollector provided you with a more accurate heading (than DXView) because you have it configured to inspect Spot Notes for information like a grid square, which N2MAC included with his spot of ZS1OPB (though he got the last character wrong).

&& Thanks Dave.  I did not realize that this was going on in the background.   I will need to read the help file more throughly. As always, thanks for taking the time to explain it.

+ more AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ The option to which I refer above is " Capture location info from notes", and it's described here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/Help/ConfigurationGeneral.htm#Use%20Spotter%20Grid%20from%20Notes>

+ When you double-click a Spot Database Entry, SpotCollector sends the Entry's callsign to DXView, which results in DXView displaying the heading of 97 based on callsign analysis using the DXCC database. Then SpotCollector sends DXView the DXGrid from the Spot Database entry - JF96gc - which causes DXView to update its heading to 110.