From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of wb5tuf@...
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 11:49 AM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] Database Size

Is there a limit to the size of the database in DX Keeper?

I am getting near 50,000 QSO's and its starting to get a little sluggish.

Thoughts?

73, Glenn WB5TUF

Is there a limit to the size of the database in DX Keeper?

+ The only limit is the availability of mass storage on your computer.

I am getting near 50,000 QSO's and its starting to get a little sluggish.

+ Which operations are "sluggish"?

wb5tuf@...

I have noticed that moving through the records with the arrow keys is slower and I sometimes get the hourglass. Saving after an edit seems to take a little longer than usual. Its not bad, just started being noticeable. Is there any regular maintenance that needs to be done or is that automatic?

I have noticed that moving through the records with the arrow keys is slower and I sometimes get the hourglass. Saving after an edit seems to take a little longer than usual. Its not bad, just started being noticeable. Is there any regular maintenance that needs to be done or is that automatic?

+ If you've deleted a significant number of QSOs from your log file, then clicking the Compact button in the "Log file" panel on the Configuration window's Log tab might reduce the size of your log a bit.

+ The "regular maintenance" you should be doing is in Windows:

1. if you use a hard drive (as opposed to a solid state disk), direct Windows to defragment it

2. make sure you have Windows' virtual memory configured correctly

3. use the Task Manager to look for applications or services consuming unexpected amounts of CPU or Memory

4. make sure your anti-malware applications are configured to consider your DXLab applications to be "safe"

+ There are additional suggestions in the "Improving Performance" section of

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/WindowsTricks>

James Fuller N7VR <n7vr@...>

Well, I am doing something wrong. I am attempting to place screens on a second screen. I open DXKeeper and move it to the second screen, then close the program. When I reopen it, it comes up on the primary screen. Same is true of Launcher, etc.

I know I am doing something wrong, can someone point me in the right direction.

Jim Fuller
Montana Section Emergency Coordinator
N7VR --http://www.n7vr.org
ARRL Life Member
CWOP-2 --http://www.wxqa.com
Original ARECC contributor

Bill Pence

Did you click the option in config to use multiple monitors?
Each app has it's own setting...

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020, 10:34 PM James Fuller N7VR via groups.io <n7vr=n7vr.org@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

+ Every DXLab application has a "Use multiple monitors" checkbox on its Configuration window's General tab. Have you checked these boxes? If not, check them, and then terminate and restart the applications.