Topics

CW speed out of control

Knut Meland

Using Winwarbler for keyboard CW keying I experience that my 20WPM speed suddenly changes to more than 100WPM.
Ii usually happens when i have some words in the type adhead buffer.
It happens when I work with 100W output as well as with 5W.
Is this a common problem?
How can I fix it?
All ideas welcome..
73 de LA9RY Knut

Using Winwarbler for keyboard CW keying I experience that my 20WPM speed suddenly changes to more than 100WPM.
Ii usually happens when i have some words in the type adhead buffer.
It happens when I work with 100W output as well as with 5W.

+ On the Configuration window's CW tab, what option is selected in the Keying panel?

+ What make and model transceiver are you using?

Is this a common problem?

+ You are the first to report it in the last ~18 years.

Knut Meland

Den 22.10.2020 20.55, skrev Dave AA6YQ:
+ AA6YQ comments below
Using Winwarbler for keyboard CW keying I experience that my 20WPM speed suddenly changes to more than 100WPM.
Ii usually happens when i have some words in the type adhead buffer.
It happens when I work with 100W output as well as with 5W.

+ On the Configuration window's CW tab, what option is selected in the Keying panel?

Serial port RTS port 4

+ What make and model transceiver are you using?

IC-7300 with one USB cable connection to the PC, using VSPE port splitting.
Is this a common problem?

+ You are the first to report it in the last ~18 years.

* more AA6YQ comments below

+ On the Configuration window's CW tab, what option is selected in the Keying panel?

Serial port RTS port 4

* What's connected to COM4' s RTS signal?

Knut Meland

Den 22.10.2020 23.08, skrev Dave AA6YQ:
* more AA6YQ comments below

+ On the Configuration window's CW tab, what option is selected in the Keying panel?

Serial port RTS port 4

* What's connected to COM4' s RTS signal?

USB Keying (CW) and

USB Keying (RTTY)

USB Send is connected to DTR

according to the setup in my IC-7300

# more AA6YQ comments below

+ On the Configuration window's CW tab, what option is selected in the Keying panel?

Serial port RTS port 4

* What's connected to COM4' s RTS signal?

USB Keying (CW) and

USB Keying (RTTY)

USB Send is connected to DTR

according to the setup in my IC-7300

# Thanks. That configuration produces the least reliable CW timing, as it relies on Windows, which is not a realtime operating system.

# Assuming you have Commander running, set WinWarbler's CW Keying panel to "Xcvr Ctrl App". Then WinWarbler will send CW by directing Commander to send CI-V commands to your IC-7300, which will generate CW with rock-solid timing.

Knut Meland

Great Dave. I will try that.

73 es tnx de LA9RY Knut

# more AA6YQ comments below