Topics

Creating a List of QSO's with DXCC Entities for which Confirmation is Needed

Russ Ravella

Hi Dave,

When I run RAT>Summary in DXK, a table results which includes my "Mixed Worked" total and "Mixed Confirmed" total.  I'm trying to figure out how to obtain a list of the QSO's that constitute the difference (worked but unconfirmed DXCC entities).  Since a DXCC confirmation can be either via LOTW or QSL card what is need is a list covering both cases.  I asked about this once before but I still don't understand how to do it. Your response to a similar request I was able to find on the forum was:

+ Yes: DXKeeper's "Add Needed" function will populate the QSL Queue with unconfirmed QSOs with needed DXCC entities, after which you
can export a tab-delimited file from the QSL Queue.

+ To learn about the "Add Needed" function, start here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLing>

After describing some initial setup steps, the "Getting Started with QSL'ing" page to which the link points says:

When you click the Add Needed button, DXKeeper scans all QSOs in the Log Page Display for unconfirmed QSOs whose confirmation would advance your progress towards these awards on the bands and modes specified on the Configuration window's Awards tab, creating an entry in the QSL Queue for each such QSO.

Reading the instructions I can't see how to include both cases at all.  If I select "LOTW" in DXK>QSL>QSL Via, the "Add Needed" button in QSL Queue is greyed out.  So it can't create any entries as stated above.

I've tried to create an SQL Filter to do this but can't find expressions for items like "DXCC Entities Worked" or "DXCC Entities not Confirmed" I seem to need.  Since DXK can create the table, it obviously knows which are the worked but not confirmed entities.  How do I just list them ?

Thank You,
Russ KR6W

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

When I run RAT>Summary in DXK, a table results which includes my "Mixed Worked" total and "Mixed Confirmed" total.  I'm trying to figure out how to obtain a list of the QSO's that constitute the difference (worked but unconfirmed DXCC entities).  Since a DXCC confirmation can be either via LOTW or QSL card what is need is a list covering both cases.  I asked about this once before but I still don't understand how to do it. Your response to a similar request I was able to find on the forum was:

+ Yes: DXKeeper's "Add Needed" function will populate the QSL Queue with unconfirmed QSOs with needed DXCC entities, after which you

After describing some initial setup steps, the "Getting Started with QSL'ing" page to which the link points says:

When you click the Add Needed button, DXKeeper scans all QSOs in the Log Page Display for unconfirmed QSOs whose confirmation would advance your progress towards these awards on the bands and modes specified on the Configuration window's Awards tab, creating an entry in the QSL Queue for each such QSO.

Reading the instructions I can't see how to include both cases at all.  If I select "LOTW" in DXK>QSL>QSL Via, the "Add Needed" button in QSL Queue is greyed out.  So it can't create any entries as stated above.

I've tried to create an SQL Filter to do this but can't find expressions for items like "DXCC Entities Worked" or "DXCC Entities not Confirmed" I seem to need.  Since DXK can create the table, it obviously knows which are the worked but not confirmed entities.  How do I just list them ?

+ In the "Realtime Award Tracking" window's DXCC tab's "Award Progress Filter" panel,

1. click the All button

2. uncheck the Unworked, Confirmed, Verified, and "Include deleted DXCC entities" boxes (leaving the Worked and Requested boxes checked)

+ The "Award Progress" panel above the "Award Progress Filter" panel will list all DXCC entities that have been worked, but not confirmed. To obtain a printable list, click the  "Award Progress Filter" panel's Report button.

Dave, AA6YQ

Russ Ravella

Thanks for the response Dave.

But I’m trying to figure out how to obtain a list of the QSO’s for worked but unconfirmed DXCC entities.  Is that possible ?

Thanks,
Russ KR6W

On Oct 12, 2020, at 1:33 AM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ In the "Realtime Award Tracking" window's DXCC tab's "Award Progress Filter" panel,

1. click the All button

2. uncheck the Unworked, Confirmed, Verified, and "Include deleted DXCC entities" boxes (leaving the Worked and Requested boxes checked)

+ The "Award Progress" panel above the "Award Progress Filter" panel will list all DXCC entities that have been worked, but not confirmed. To obtain a printable list, click the  "Award Progress Filter" panel's Report button.

Dave, AA6YQ

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 12:51 AM Russ Ravella via groups.io
<rus5=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Dave,

When I run RAT>Summary in DXK, a table results which includes my "Mixed Worked" total and "Mixed Confirmed" total. I'm trying to figure out how to obtain a list of the QSO's that constitute the difference (worked but unconfirmed DXCC entities). Since a DXCC confirmation can be either via LOTW or QSL card what is need is a list covering both cases. I asked about this once before but I still don't understand how to do it. Your response to a similar request I was able to find on the forum was:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLing>;

When you click the Add Needed button, DXKeeper scans all QSOs in the Log Page Display for unconfirmed QSOs whose confirmation would advance your progress towards these awards on the bands and modes specified on the Configuration window's Awards tab, creating an entry in the QSL Queue for each such QSO.

Reading the instructions I can't see how to include both cases at all. If I select "LOTW" in DXK>QSL>QSL Via, the "Add Needed" button in QSL Queue is greyed out. So it can't create any entries as stated above.
"QSL via" selects the method by which a QSL request would be sent, not
the method used to determine "neededness". Select "Tab-delimited
file", then click "Add Needed". That should generate a QSL queue
including any QSOs for which confirmation would advance your award
progress.

I've tried to create an SQL Filter to do this but can't find expressions for items like "DXCC Entities Worked" or "DXCC Entities not Confirmed" I seem to need. Since DXK can create the table, it obviously knows which are the worked but not confirmed entities. How do I just list them ?
The following filter should match QSOs with entities that are not
confirmed (or verified) for DXCC:

EXISTS (SELECT Progress.CountryStatus FROM Progress WHERE
(Progress.CountryCode = DXCCID and Progress.CountryStatus not in
('F','V')))

(assuming you have Realtime Award Tracking for DXCC enabled)

~iain / N6ML

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

"QSL via" selects the method by which a QSL request would be sent, not the method used to determine "neededness". Select "Tab-delimited file", then click "Add Needed". That should generate a QSL queue including any QSOs for which confirmation would advance your award progress.

+ You can then generate a tab-delimited file with one entry per QSO, load this file into a spreadsheet, and manipulate it as desired.

I've tried to create an SQL Filter to do this but can't find expressions for items like "DXCC Entities Worked" or "DXCC Entities not Confirmed" I seem to need. Since DXK can create the table, it obviously knows which are the worked but not confirmed entities. How do I just list them ?
The following filter should match QSOs with entities that are not confirmed (or verified) for DXCC:

EXISTS (SELECT Progress.CountryStatus FROM Progress WHERE (Progress.CountryCode = DXCCID and Progress.CountryStatus not in
('F','V')))

+ Realtime Award Tracking for DXCC cannot be disabled; it's "table stakes" for DXLab.

+ Iain's SQL expression above selects entries in your log's QSOs table based on information in your log's PROGRESS table, which tracks your DXCC Award Progress. The DXCC tab of DXKeeper's "Realtime Award Tracking" window provides interactive access to your log's PROGRESS table. Similar tables will be present in your log for Iota, Marathon, VUCC, WAS, WAZ, and WPX if you have real-time award tracking enable for each such award.

+ The multi-table query technique that Iain employed in the SQL expression above is powerful, but difficult to describe in a manner accessible to a user who isn't familiar with relational database technology. You could, for example, use this technique to identify all QSOs with a confirmed DXCC entity whose IOTA tag is unconfirmed or whose CQ Zone is unconfirmed. Thus I've sought to minimize the need for multi-table queries by providing appropriate automation. For example, the primary reason to identify QSOs with DXCC entities that are worked but not confirmed is to send out QSL cards requesting their confirmation. That's what the "Add Needed" function does: it populates the QSL Queue with each QSOs with DXCC entities that are worked but not confirmed (taking into account band and mode objectives specified in the "DXCC Bands & Modes" panel on the Configuration window's Awards tab). The "Add Needed" function can also be configured to do this for worked-but-unconfirmed IOTA tags, worked-but-unconfirmed VUCC grids, worked-but-unconfirmed WAS states, worked-but-unconfirmed WAZ CQ zones, and worked-but-unconfirmed WPX prefixes.

+ If there's another reason to identify QSOs with DXCC entities that are worked but not confirmed besides sending out QSL cards requesting their confirmation, please let me know so I can consider providing automation for it.

Dave, AA6YQ

w6de

Dave, on occasion I do searches for QSOs worked but not QSL'd. However, because, this function is readily available in ClubLog I don't use DXKeeper to do this.
To perform this function, Log into ClubLog then select QSL Charts. Then select: All bands, Show all QSL States, No Date filter. Provided you have uploaded your logbook(s) to ClubLog and have uploaded all new QSOs to ClubLog; you get an excellent color coded chart showing all the Entities you have had a QSO with along with the QSL situations for each Entity. For Each Entity the display shows the QSL state by Mode (Phone, CW, Data), along with QSL suggestions for some contacts that also use ClubLog. A lot, but not all, of those suggestions show the opportunity to do an OQRS QSL request.

Dave, w6de

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2020 18:17
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Creating a List of QSO's with DXCC Entities for which Confirmation is Needed

+ AA6YQ comments below

"QSL via" selects the method by which a QSL request would be sent, not the method used to determine "neededness". Select "Tab-delimited file", then click "Add Needed". That should generate a QSL queue including any QSOs for which confirmation would advance your award progress.

+ You can then generate a tab-delimited file with one entry per QSO, load this file into a spreadsheet, and manipulate it as desired.

The following filter should match QSOs with entities that are not confirmed (or verified) for DXCC:

EXISTS (SELECT Progress.CountryStatus FROM Progress WHERE (Progress.CountryCode = DXCCID and Progress.CountryStatus not in
('F','V')))

+ Realtime Award Tracking for DXCC cannot be disabled; it's "table stakes" for DXLab.

+ Iain's SQL expression above selects entries in your log's QSOs table based on information in your log's PROGRESS table, which tracks your DXCC Award Progress. The DXCC tab of DXKeeper's "Realtime Award Tracking" window provides interactive access to your log's PROGRESS table. Similar tables will be present in your log for Iota, Marathon, VUCC, WAS, WAZ, and WPX if you have real-time award tracking enable for each such award.

+ The multi-table query technique that Iain employed in the SQL expression above is powerful, but difficult to describe in a manner accessible to a user who isn't familiar with relational database technology. You could, for example, use this technique to identify all QSOs with a confirmed DXCC entity whose IOTA tag is unconfirmed or whose CQ Zone is unconfirmed. Thus I've sought to minimize the need for multi-table queries by providing appropriate automation. For example, the primary reason to identify QSOs with DXCC entities that are worked but not confirmed is to send out QSL cards requesting their confirmation. That's what the "Add Needed" function does: it populates the QSL Queue with each QSOs with DXCC entities that are worked but not confirmed (taking into account band and mode objectives specified in the "DXCC Bands & Modes" panel on the Configuration window's Awards tab). The "Add Needed" function can also be configured to do this for worked-but-unconfirmed IOTA tags, worked-but-unconfirmed VUCC grids, worked-but-unconfirmed WAS states, worked-but-unconfirmed WAZ CQ zones, and worked-but-unconfirmed WPX prefixes.

+ If there's another reason to identify QSOs with DXCC entities that are worked but not confirmed besides sending out QSL cards requesting their confirmation, please let me know so I can consider providing automation for it.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave, on occasion I do searches for QSOs worked but not QSL'd. However, because, this function is readily available in ClubLog I don't use DXKeeper to do this.

+ This SQL expression will filter the Log Page Display to contain QSOs worked but not confirmed via QSL card or via LoTW:

(not QSL_Rcvd in ('Y','S','V','E','B','M')) and (not APP_DXKeeper_LoTW_QSL_Rcvd in ('Y','S','V','E','B','M'))

+ Copy it to one of the 16 "SQL Query Filters" in the "Advanced Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window with a caption like

not cfmd

+ and it will never be more than a few mouse clicks away.

To perform this function, Log into ClubLog then select QSL Charts. Then select: All bands, Show all QSL States, No Date filter. Provided you have uploaded your logbook(s) to ClubLog and have uploaded all new QSOs to ClubLog; you get an excellent color coded chart showing all the Entities you have had a QSO with along with the QSL situations for each Entity. For Each Entity the display shows the QSL state by Mode (Phone, CW, Data), along with QSL suggestions for some contacts that also use ClubLog. A lot, but not all, of those suggestions show the opportunity to do an OQRS QSL request.

+ What you describe in Club Log displays one entry per DXCC entity, not one entry per worked-but-unconfirmed QSO. DXKeeper provides DXCC status for each DXCC entity on the DXCC tab of DXKeeper's "Realtime Award tracking" window, accessible by clicking the RAT button on the "Log QSOs" tab of DXKeeper's Main window. Besides displayin mixed, by-mode, and by-band status for each entity, you can filter the display by band, by mode, by status (unworked, worked, requested, confirmed, verified), and by whether the DXCC entity is current or deleted.

+ Club Log does display some very nice analytics when you click on a DXCC entity in its display, and clicking on the status icon for an entity-mode displays all QSOs made with that entity in that mode with their confirmation status.

Dave, AA6YQ

David Reed

Dave,

I have been following this thread with interest, and I have a question; I cannot find the window or filters for SQL expressions mentioned below. I assume it is in DXKeeper somewhere, but I am lost. What is the path to that?

Thanks & 73 de Dave, W5SV

On 10/12/2020 22:13, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ This SQL expression will filter the Log Page Display to contain QSOs worked but not confirmed via QSL card or via LoTW:

(not QSL_Rcvd in ('Y','S','V','E','B','M')) and (not APP_DXKeeper_LoTW_QSL_Rcvd in ('Y','S','V','E','B','M'))

+ Copy it to one of the 16 "SQL Query Filters" in the "Advanced Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window with a caption like

not cfmd

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 3:23 PM David Reed <w5sv.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
I have been following this thread with interest, and I have a question;
I cannot find the window or filters for SQL expressions mentioned below.
I assume it is in DXKeeper somewhere, but I am lost. What is the path to
that?
See https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/SQL.htm

~iain / N6ML

not cfmd

David Reed

thanks Ian!

On 10/12/2020 22:41, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 3:23 PM David Reed <w5sv.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
I have been following this thread with interest, and I have a question;
I cannot find the window or filters for SQL expressions mentioned below.
I assume it is in DXKeeper somewhere, but I am lost. What is the path to
that?
See https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/SQL.htm

~iain / N6ML

not cfmd

David Reed

I have tried this, and I get my whole log, many of which I know to be confirmed and/or verified.

I need some help figuring out what I am doing wrong...

Thanks and 73 de Dave, W5sv

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I have tried this, and I get my whole log, many of which I know to be confirmed and/or verified.

I need some help figuring out what I am doing wrong...

(not QSL_Rcvd in ('Y','S','V','E','B','M')) and (not
APP_DXKeeper_LoTW_QSL_Rcvd in ('Y','S','V','E','B','M'))
+ After filtering the Log Page Display with the SQL expression above,

1. make the "QSL" and "Online QSL" panels visible above the Log Page Display

2. locate a QSO in the Log Page Display that is confirmed via QSL card or LoTW, and click on its Log Page Display entry

3. make a screen shot showing DXKeeper's Main window's "Log QSOs" tab, attach the screen shot to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Dave, AA6YQ

w6de

I did put this filter in as you suggest

This filter in my logbook gives me 3,735 entries. This does not provide me a snap shot view of the needed BAND and MODE QSOs I need to advance my DXCC Award. Progress.
Each year I enter the Marathon and a few contests almost none of those contacts will advance my Award progress and so I QSL very few of those QSOs. I have absolutely no interest in QSLing all 10,000 QSOs in my logbook.

You comment below: "What you describe in Club Log displays one entry per DXCC entity, not one entry per worked-but-unconfirmed QSO." Is correct as stated. However, for a given single Entity, Club log will list all the QSOs that might advance progress for that entity. ClubLog does not list QSOs for an Entity that do not advance Award Progress. If your goal is to QSL all your unconfirmed QSOs ClubLog is not the answer.

What is the intended use, for an unconfirmed QSO list, the original poster (KR6W) asks for? ?

Dave, w6de
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2020 22:14
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Creating a List of QSO's with DXCC Entities for which Confirmation is Needed

+ AA6YQ comments below

not cfmd

+ What you describe in Club Log displays one entry per DXCC entity, not one entry per worked-but-unconfirmed QSO. DXKeeper provides DXCC status for each DXCC entity on the DXCC tab of DXKeeper's "Realtime Award tracking" window, accessible by clicking the RAT button on the "Log QSOs" tab of DXKeeper's Main window. Besides displayin mixed, by-mode, and by-band status for each entity, you can filter the display by band, by mode, by status (unworked, worked, requested, confirmed, verified), and by whether the DXCC entity is current or deleted.

+ Club Log does display some very nice analytics when you click on a DXCC entity in its display, and clicking on the status icon for an entity-mode displays all QSOs made with that entity in that mode with their confirmation status.

Dave, AA6YQ

Russ Ravella

Hi Dave and Lain,

Thanks very much for the responses.

Lain - your filter works perfectly, thanks !  Regarding choosing QSL Via = Tab Delineated File THEN hitting "Add Needed", the resulting list does indeed include the desired QSOs and many others.  What criteria is being used when I do that ?

Dave, I'm sorry but your response totally confused me again.   I said:

"If I select "LOTW" in DXK>QSL>QSL Via, the "Add Needed" button in QSL Queue is greyed out.  So it can't create any entries as stated above."

Included in your reply was:

"That's what the "Add Needed" function does: it populates the QSL Queue with each QSOs with DXCC entities that are worked but not confirmed (taking into account band and mode objectives specified in the "DXCC Bands & Modes" panel on the Configuration window's Awards tab)."

As I mentioned in my post, that is also what the documentation says.  But my question was that I'm not seeing the "Add Needed" button even being available - it's greyed out - let alone doing what you and the documentation says it does.  It seems to actually do what Lain said:

" "QSL via" selects the method by which a QSL request would be sent, not the method used to determine "neededness". "

If what the documentation says and what Lain said above (and what I'm seeing) are the same thing somehow, I am totally missing it.  So having obtained the requested filter now, my remaining question is: what am I missing about how the "Add Needed" button works relative to the description in the documentation ?

Lastly, to answer your question at the end of your post:

"+ If there's another reason to identify QSOs with DXCC entities that are worked but not confirmed besides sending out QSL cards requesting their confirmation, please let me know so I can consider providing automation for it.:

there is no other reason that I can think of.  This is the reason I'm trying to use it.

Thanks,
Russ KR6W

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I did put this filter in as you suggest (not QSL_Rcvd in ('Y','S','V','E','B','M')) and (not APP_DXKeeper_LoTW_QSL_Rcvd in ('Y','S','V','E','B','M'))

This filter in my logbook gives me 3,735 entries. This does not provide me a snap shot view of the needed BAND and MODE QSOs I need to advance my DXCC Award. Progress.

+ In your earlier post, that's not what you described as your objective.

Each year I enter the Marathon and a few contests almost none of those contacts will advance my Award progress and so I QSL very few of those QSOs. I have absolutely no interest in QSLing all 10,000 QSOs in my logbook.

+ DXKeeper provides the "Add Needed" function to populate the QSL Queue with all unconfirmed QSOs whose confirmation would advance progress towards your award objectives, as specified on the Awards tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window. Note that when there are multiple candidate QSOs for a particular objective (e.g. P5 on 160m), DXKeeper chooses the most recent QSO.

You comment below: "What you describe in Club Log displays one entry per DXCC entity, not one entry per worked-but-unconfirmed QSO." Is correct as stated. However, for a given single Entity, Club log will list all the QSOs that might advance progress for that entity. ClubLog does not list QSOs for an Entity that do not advance Award Progress. If your goal is to QSL all your unconfirmed QSOs ClubLog is not the answer.

What is the intended use, for an unconfirmed QSO list, the original poster (KR6W) asks for? ?

+ As a DXer, the only reason I know of to identify worked-but-unconfirmed QSOs is to send them QSL cards requesting a confirmation; that's why DXKeeper provides the "Add Needed" function. I asked Russ KR6W if he had another reason to do this, but he has not yet responded.

Dave, AA6YQ

dxradio33

****(e.g. P5 on 160m)**** Good example Dave. 😊

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2020 20:30

+ DXKeeper provides the "Add Needed" function to populate the QSL Queue with all unconfirmed QSOs whose confirmation would advance progress towards your award objectives, as specified on the Awards tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window. Note that when there are multiple candidate QSOs for a particular objective (e.g. P5 on 160m), DXKeeper chooses the most recent QSO.

Stan Gammons

Perhaps this process that Dave sent me off list some time ago is what the OP is trying to accomplish?

+ Assuming you have the Configuration window's Awards tab configured to reflect your DXCC Challenge objective,

1. At the bottom of the Main window's "Check Progress" tab, click the "Clear Select" button

2. In the Filter panel at the bottom of the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab, click the X button to remove any Log Page Display filtering

3. in the "Add Needed" panel on the "QSL Configuration" window's General tab, uncheck all boxes except the DXCC box in the Awards sub-panel, which you should check

3. On the Main window's QSL tab,

3a. set the "QSL Via" panel to "QSL Cards"

3b. click the "Add Needed" button

+ DXKeeper will identify a minimum set of QSOs that, if confirmed, would result in maximal progress towards DXCC Challenge. Each of these QSOs will be added to the QSL Queue (so you can generate outgoing cards or labels requesting confirmation); each of these QSOs will also have its Select item set to 'Y'

+ If you want to print QSL cards or labels, load the appropriate media into your printer and proceed as described in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/HardcopyQSLing>;

+ Otherwise, clear the QSL Queue.

+ In the Filter panel at the bottom of the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab, click the Sel button, and that minimum set of QSOs that, if confirmed, would result in maximal progress towards DXCC Challenge will appear in the Log Page Display.

Stan

KM4HQE

On 10/12/20 7:54 PM, dxradio33 wrote:
****(e.g. P5 on 160m)**** Good example Dave. 😊

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Thanks very much for the responses.

Lain - your filter works perfectly, thanks ! Regarding choosing QSL Via = Tab Delineated File THEN hitting "Add Needed", the resulting list does indeed include the desired QSOs and many others. What criteria is being used when I do that ?

+ As described in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/QSL.htm#Add%20Needed>;

+ "The Add Needed function scans all QSOs in the Log Page Display for QSOs whose confirmations are required for the awards you've selected, considering the DXing objectives you have specified - but ignoring any QSO whose QSL sent item is set to N or I; for each such QSO, the Add Needed function

- sets the QSO's QSL outgoing status and confirmation status to R

- sets the QSO's Select item to Y

creates an entry in the QSL Queue for each such QSO it locates"

+ If more than one unconfirmed QSO would advance your award progress if confirmed, DXKeeper adds the most recent QSO to the QSL Queue.

+ The behavior of the Add Needed function can be modified by settings in the "Add Needed" panel on the "QSL Configuration" window's General tab:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/QSLConfiguration.htm#Add%20Needed%20panel>;

+ For example, enabling "Add Needed requests all with same mgr" will populate the QSL Queue with QSOs whose confirmation is not needed for award progress, but free to request since you're be sending an envelope to the same QSL manager.

Dave, I'm sorry but your response totally confused me again. I said:

"If I select "LOTW" in DXK>QSL>QSL Via, the "Add Needed" button in QSL Queue is greyed out. So it can't create any entries as stated above."

Included in your reply was:

"That's what the "Add Needed" function does: it populates the QSL Queue with each QSOs with DXCC entities that are worked but not confirmed (taking into account band and mode objectives specified in the "DXCC Bands & Modes" panel on the Configuration window's Awards tab)."

As I mentioned in my post, that is also what the documentation says. But my question was that I'm not seeing the "Add Needed" button even being available - it's greyed out - let alone doing what you and the documentation says it does.

+ The "Add Needed" function is not made available when the "QSL Via" panel is set to "LoTW" or "eQSL" because it is expected. that users will submit all logged QSOs to those services, not just those that are "needed" for award progress. Thus when I refer to the "Add Needed" function, I am assuming that you have the "QSL Via" panel set to cards, labels, or files -- not LoTW or eQSL.

It seems to actually do what Lain said:

" "QSL via" selects the method by which a QSL request would be sent, not the method used to determine "neededness". "

If what the documentation says and what Lain said above (and what I'm seeing) are the same thing somehow, I am totally missing it. So having obtained the requested filter now, my remaining question is: what am I missing about how the "Add Needed" button works relative to the description in the documentation ?

+ Best as I can tell, the only point you're missing is that depending upon how you have the "Add Needed" panel configured on the "QSL Configuration" window's General tab, "Add Needed" may populate the QSL Queue with unconfirmed QSOs that aren't actually needed for award progress. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/QSLConfiguration.htm#Add%20Needed%20panel>;

Lastly, to answer your question at the end of your post:

"+ If there's another reason to identify QSOs with DXCC entities that are worked but not confirmed besides sending out QSL cards requesting their confirmation, please let me know so I can consider providing automation for it.:

there is no other reason that I can think of.

+ Me neither!

This is the reason I'm trying to use it.

+ Then you don't need a list of QSOs with worked-but-unconfirmed DXCC entities. You can directly exploit the automation provided by DXKeeper's "Add Needed" function as described in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/QSL.htm#Add%20Needed>;

+ and the "Requesting Needed Confirmations" section of

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLing>;

Dave AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

* more AA6YQ comments below

****(e.g. P5 on 160m)**** Good example Dave. ??

* Doesn’t everyone have multiple candidate QSOs for P5 on 160m?

Dave, AA6YQ

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 6:10 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:
Maybe you covered this in the conversation already, and I missed it,
but one application for the filter might be to send cards only for
QSOs which would confirm a new entity (i.e. an entity that's not yet
confirmed on any band/mode), whilst still retaining award objectives
for more specific awards (individual bands, modes, WAS, WAZ, etc.).
AFAIK the only (other) way to employ "Add Needed" for that would
involve unconfiguring those more specific award objectives, then
having to put them all back afterwards... ?

~iain / N6ML