Topics

CQ 160 SSB contest submit problem

Phil W9IXX

Hi,
Basic user here and setup for contest and went ok as logged thru the capture
window and could log and change exchanges as necessary.

Went to print the Cabrillo report and it did not include the state/prov but did include
the 59 part of the exchange. Noticed in the DXKeeper window and Log QSOs tab
all the info is there except not in the area where all the qsos are shown. I only have
a few of the columns I normally want there. I assume (hate that Hi.) that I need the exchange
for state/prov there also which I do not have in there.

What do I need to add or check-mark to get the report to add them. Also agn assume need to
do a manual scoring of results or other items like times off.  Most all else seems ok.

Thanks for reading this and really like the program. Wish I had more time to go thru all of its features.
73 Phil W9IXX

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below:

Basic user here and setup for contest and went ok as logged thru the capture
window and could log and change exchanges as necessary.

Went to print the Cabrillo report and it did not include the state/prov but did include
the 59 part of the exchange. Noticed in the DXKeeper window and Log QSOs tab
all the info is there except not in the area where all the qsos are shown. I only have
a few of the columns I normally want there. I assume (hate that Hi.) that I need the exchange
for state/prov there also which I do not have in there.

What do I need to add or check-mark to get the report to add them. Also agn assume need to
do a manual scoring of results or other items like times off.  Most all else seems ok.

+ Instructions for recording exchange information are provided in the large table in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Contesting.htm

+ The third paragraph of this section of the reference documentation is importantant:

"Making a few test QSOs before the contest and verifying that a proper Cabrillo log can be generated is strongly recommended."

+ DXLab's support for contesting is limited supporting DXers who participate in contests in search of "new ones", and do their part by providing accurate exchanges and by submitting checklogs.

+ Serious contesters in search of rate and scoring information should use a contesting application. Many serious contesters employ N1MM, and then import their contest QSOs into DXKeeper after the contest is over. Some contests use the N1MM-DXKeeper bridge to convey each contest QSO to DXKeeper as it is logged in N1MM.

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/N1MM-DXKeeper/index.htm

Phil W9IXX

Thanks for the reply and appreciate the hints and references.
Tried a few contacts as test but couldn't get the partner exchange for the
state to show up.  Was just before the contest and figured to go ahead
anyway with the program and figure out later. Missed the note about the
gateway.

After contest tried N1MM and imported my log as ADIF from DXKeeper and
when checked the Cabrillo file still didn't show the state/prov correctly.
Also sent my log as ADIF to CQ and used their converter and all ok
except for the exchange state/prov info. They will then probably use
my entry as a log check.

Your correct that my DXing section works great and will not mess with
it. Will use a contesting program from now on as mentioned. Will try the
bridge next time.

Thanks again for what you do.  No need to respond.
73,
Phil W9IXX

Thanks for the reply and appreciate the hints and references.
Tried a few contacts as test but couldn't get the partner exchange for the
state to show up.  Was just before the contest and figured to go ahead
anyway with the program and figure out later. Missed the note about the
gateway.

+ Did you record your QSO partner's state in the RX# item?

After contest tried N1MM and imported my log as ADIF from DXKeeper and
when checked the Cabrillo file still didn't show the state/prov correctly.
+ If you log with N1MM, you should generate youe Cabrillo file from N1MM.

Phil W9IXX

Hi,

Tnx Dave and I used the Capture window in DXKeeper. Did not see anything in
the window that said "RX#". From memory it would show the state in the area
that said "pri sub". I think in the contest mode it that area said "state or prov".

When I imported my ADIF file into N1MM after the test, I did a Cabrillo generation
but the state never showed up. Sounds like there should be a header called "Exch" or
something like that in the ADIF file. My ADIF file shows the state in header called "state"

Sorry for such a minor item.
Tnx agn.
Phil W9IXX

Tnx Dave and I used the Capture window in DXKeeper. Did not see anything in the window that said "RX#". From memory it would show the state in the area that said "pri sub". I think in the contest mode it that area said "state or prov".

+ The Capture window's rx# box is the right-most box in the 11th row of boxes in the Capture window. Take a look at this screenshot:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/FullCapture.jpg

+ You may have to drag the Capture window's lower border downward to make the 11th row of boxes visible; see the 2nd and 3rd screen shots in "Getting Started with Logging" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/Logging

+ The rx# box is always present, whether "Contest Mode" is enabled or not.

When I imported my ADIF file into N1MM after the test, I did a Cabrillo generation but the state never showed up. Sounds like there should be a header called "Exch" or something like that in the ADIF file. My ADIF file shows the state in header called "state"

+ QSOs imported from N1MM do not comply with the rules specified in the large table in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Contesting.htm

+ If you use N1MM in a contest and want to submit a Cabrillo file for the QSOs logged in that contest, generate that Cabrillo file from N1MM.

Phil W9IXX

Tnx for the capture window info. Didn't know the window would enlarge downward
and mine was at only the comment row.  Have expanded now.

I brought up one of my contest contacts and in the capture window the row below
the QTH space (4th row) which normally shows "pri sub" shows "state" and the one
to the right shows "county". Where it shows "state" is where I saw the exchange that
I used. Thought that was the place. I was able to change a couple of the states as necessary.
Nothing shows in the rx# window.

I submitted my log to CQ using their ADIF to Cabrillo converter.

Sorry to take up your time with this and guess missed a setup checkmark or
something in  the setup.  Sure am more of a DXer than a Tester...   Hi..
Thanks to you and sure am learning a lot. Thanks.
73 Phil W9IXX

Tnx for the capture window info. Didn't know the window would enlarge downward and mine was at only the comment row.

+ That's described and illustrated here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/Logging

I brought up one of my contest contacts and in the capture window the row below the QTH space (4th row) which normally shows "pri sub" shows "state" and the one to the right shows "county". Where it shows "state" is where I saw the exchange that I used.

+ The "pri sub" (for "primary administrative subdivision") and "sec sub" (for "secondary administrative subdivision") items are provided for every logged QSO, but the captions change as a function of the QSO's DXCC entity. If the entity is "continental US" or "Alaska" or "Hawaii", the "pri sub" is replaced with "state" and "sec sub" is replaced with "county. If the entity if "Japan" or "Ogasawara" or "Minami Torishima", then "pri sub" is replaced with "prefecture" and "sec sub" is replaced with "city/gun".

Thought that was the place. I was able to change a couple of the states as necessary.

+ It is not "the place" if you want DXKeeper to generate Cabrillo for the CQ 160 SSB contest. The CQ 160 SSB row in the large table in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Contesting.htm

+ specifies that the exchange must be recorded in the RX# item. You should still record the state in the state item (e.g. for pursuing the WAS award) but you must record the exchange (including the state) in the RX# item.

Nothing shows in the rx# window.

+ That's why DXKeeper cannot generate a Cabrillo file from your log.

I submitted my log to CQ using their ADIF to Cabrillo converter.

Sorry to take up your time with this and guess missed a setup checkmark or
something in the setup.

+ The problem is not "incorrect setup"; the problem is "information not recorded in correct item".

+ This level of "usability" is far below DXLab standards. The problem is that achieving the desired level of usability would require extending DXKeeper to understand the rules of every contest - not rocket science, but a large diversion of development cycles from far more useful objectives. The root cause of this nasty tradeoff is that Cabrillo is an abomination. The more contest sponsors that accept ADIF, the better.