Topics

Computer lockup when I click on Upload to LotW

Steve K8JQ

For about half of the occasions when I click on Upload to LotW, my desktop computer locks up until the upload process is completed. The mouse still moves the cursor around the screen, but the computer is otherwise unresponsive. On the other hand, for the other occasions when I click on Upload to LotW I can use the computer for other things while the upload process is in progress -- email, web browser, spreadsheet, etc.

I began using LotW in the spring of this year. No computer lock-up's until last month (July). While not the end of the world, the lock-up's are inconvenient and I'd like to avoid them.

Anyone have insight as to why the lock-up's happen sometimes and sometimes not? Are there configuration settings in DXLabs or Windows 10 that might help?

DXKeeper 15.7.2, Windows 10 Home 1909.

Thanks.

Steve, K8JQ

For about half of the occasions when I click on Upload to LotW, my desktop computer locks up until the upload process is completed. The mouse still moves the cursor around the screen, but the computer is otherwise unresponsive.

+ That's not a "lockup". That sounds like your system sometimes doesn't have sufficient resources to execute additional applications while the upload is underway.

+ How frequently do you reboot Windows?

+ How much RAM is installed in your system?

+ The next time your system slows when uploading to LoTW, start the Windows Task Manager and check to see which applications are consuming memory, and how much is being consumed.

Steve K8JQ

Reboot at least every morning, usually more than that. RAM 32GB. I will look at Windows Task Manager next time -- if it will let me  :-)

Thanks.

Steve, K8JQ

On 8/26/2020 12:57 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

For about half of the occasions when I click on Upload to LotW, my desktop computer locks up until the upload process is completed. The mouse still moves the cursor around the screen, but the computer is otherwise unresponsive.

+ That's not a "lockup". That sounds like your system sometimes doesn't have sufficient resources to execute additional applications while the upload is underway.

+ How frequently do you reboot Windows?

+ How much RAM is installed in your system?

+ The next time your system slows when uploading to LoTW, start the Windows Task Manager and check to see which applications are consuming memory, and how much is being consumed.

Reboot at least every morning, usually more than that. RAM 32GB. I will look at Windows Task Manager next time -- if it will let me :-)

+ Your reboot frequency and available RAM should be more than sufficient, unless you are running multiple protein folding or Bitcoin mining applications in the background.

+ Two other possibilities:

1. interference from a firewall or anti-malware application not configured to consider DXKeeper to be "safe"

2. misconfigured Windows Virtual Memory

+ The typical way to test for anti-malware interference is to reboot Windows into "safe mode with networking", as this does not start your firewall and anti-malware. I know it'll be a pain, but each time you have QSOs to upload, reboot Windows into "safe mode with networking", start the Launcher, direct the Launcher to start DXKeeper, and then direct DXKeeper to upload your QSOs to LoTW. If you do this 5 times in succession without the "can't run other applications while uploading" symptom appearing, then we'll have gained an important clue.

Steve K8JQ

Nothing like Bitcoin mining going on -- at least not that I know of  :-)

Anti-malware is Windows Defender. It is configured to consider the DXLab folder as safe.

I will post results of uploads in safe-mode-with-networking in a week or two.

Thanks.

Steve, K8JQ

On 8/26/2020 7:53 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Dave,

Following up.

My computer "lock up" problem (which you advised is a lack of resources) occurred frequently in July and August. I posted here on August 26, 2020, seeking advice. The "lock up" has not occurred since that posting. I have uploaded to LotW about fifteen times from August 27 through today without issue. I am not aware of having done anything to resolve the problem.

So, at least for the moment, the DXKeeper upload-to-LotW issue is not an issue.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve, K8JQ

On 8/28/2020 11:58 PM, Steve K8JQ wrote:
[...]

+ Have any "Windows Updates" been installed since late August?

+ Are you rebooting Windows any more frequently than you had been when the problematic behavior occurred?

Steve K8JQ

Still Windows 10 Home Version 1909. Although within the last few days I recall Windows keeping my computer on after I did the shutdown, don't know what it did, but it did not change the Windows version.

No change in rebooting. At least daily, usually a couple times a day.

I had intended to mention this in my last posting, probably has nothing to do with my "lock up" problem: I am not able to boot to safe mode with networking. I can boot in safe mode but neither email nor browser are able to reach the internet. Neither will my Dell laptop boot to safe mode with networking. Probably my error.

Steve, K8JQ

+ AA6YQ comments below