Topics

Commander Won't Launch

John AC4CA

The Win10 PC DXLab Suite was running on died. Had to replace. Due to the partitions available on the new Win10 PC I had to load DXLab on the F-drive. Commander fails to load with a "SComm32.ocx failed to registered [sic] after 51 retires; click the OK button to terminate CI-V Commander." SC will not open, but no error codes. DXK opens okay.

The Win10 PC DXLab Suite was running on died. Had to replace. Due to the partitions available on the new Win10 PC I had to load DXLab on the F-drive. Commander fails to load with a "SComm32.ocx failed to registered [sic] after 51 retires; click the OK button to terminate CI-V Commander." SC will not open, but no error codes. DXK opens okay.

+ Being installed on an F-drive isn’t a problem.

+ Failure to register Scomm32.ocx likely means that Windows is broken or misconfigured in a way that prevents Commander from registering a component.

+ Try rebooting Windows into "Safe mode with networking", and see if Commander starts without the "SComm32.ocx failed to register" error message. If so, then reboot Windows into normal mode, and see if Commander can now run without error.

John AC4CA

That got it, Dave. Thanks.

That got it, Dave. Thanks.

+ Check to make sure your firewall and anti-malware apps are configured to consider your DXLab apps to be safe.

+ Is SpotCollector working correctly now?

John AC4CA

+ Yes, SC is working correctly now. Thanks.

+ Will do, regarding checking firewall and anti-malware apps. Don't think there's a problem there, but will double check.

+ Sudden demise of old PC motherboard spared the HD, but didn't afford me the chance to make a SafeStorage folder. Am populating such a folder from the old HD now, using the excellent document "MovingBetweenPCs." Thank you for putting that document together. It's a long process, but not as long as the time if took over the years to fine-tune the DXLab suite to become the finely-honed tool it's become for me. You continue to amaze me. My hat goes off to you.,

John AC4CA

Dave, after going through the SafetyStorage procedures, the only thing I can't find/bring back is the SpotCollector Spot Database Display definition. There didn't seem to be any file to bring over and it evidently wasn't defined within the .mdb since I brought over the old Spot database that had the desired items and layout. What am I missing? Thanks. -John.

Dave, after going through the SafetyStorage procedures, the only thing I can't find/bring back is the SpotCollector Spot Database Display definition. There didn't seem to be any file to bring over and it evidently wasn't defined within the .mdb since I brought over the old Spot database that had the desired items and layout. What am I missing?

+ Like most DXLab application settings, SpotCollector’s Spot Database Display configuration is stored in the Windows Registry. The Launcher can be directed to create and populate a Workspace – a folder containing a file for each DXLab application that contains that application’s settings. If you directed the Launcher to create and populate a Workspace on your old machine, then copy that Workspace folder to your new machine, close all DXLab apps except the Launcher, and direct the Launcher to restore that Workspace. When you start your DXLab applications, they’ll be using the recovered settings.

John AC4CA

With this in mind, on the old (bad) PC, I was able to create and save a Workspace that I ported to the new PC. Since the DXLab Suite resides on an F-disk on the new PC, but was on the C-disk on the old machine, I edited all the paths in the Workspace file for SpotCollector to the correct new path. I then loaded the SpotCollector settings from the edited Workspace file. Worked fine. SpotCollector now looks and behaves like it did on the defunct PC. When things settle down and I'm sure everything is as I want it, you can bet the first thing I'll do is "Save Settings to Workspace" for "All DXLab Applications." Thanks for your patience, Dave.

With this in mind, on the old (bad) PC, I was able to create and save a Workspace that I ported to the new PC. Since the DXLab Suite resides on an F-disk on the new PC, but was on the C-disk on the old machine, I edited all the paths in the Workspace file for SpotCollector to the correct new path. I then loaded the SpotCollector settings from the edited Workspace file. Worked fine. SpotCollector now looks and behaves like it did on the defunct PC. When things settle down and I'm sure everything is as I want it, you can bet the first thing I'll do is "Save Settings to Workspace" for "All DXLab Applications."

+ I'm glad to hear that you have things working to your satisfaction.