Commander to SatPC32 integration - will not connect

Dave Fugleberg

I'm trying to configure the integration shown in https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SatelliteTracking to convey satellite information from SatPC32 to Commander and on to DxKeeper. I'm using SatPC32 v 12.9 and a IC-9700 with latest firmware.

Here's what works so far:
1) Commander configured for multi-radio - Radio 1 is my HF rig (K3), Radio 2 is direct control for the 9700, and radio 3 is SatPC32. All three are Enabled. the port for Radio 3 is set to - (the dash after port 64 in the pulldown).
2) Commander can control Radio 1 or Radio 2 when selected from Commander. CAT control behaves as expected for either radio.
3) With Radio 3 (SatPC32) selected in Commander, I go and start SatPC32.  SatPC32 controls the radio and works as expected.  At this point, the box in the upper right corner of Commander says Disconnected and Satellite name and mode are blank, as expected.

However -
When I click Connect, nothing happens. Commander still says Disconnected.

Is there something in the configuration of SatPC32 I may have missed ?

Thanks es 73 de W0ZF

[...]

+ Two possibilities:

1. Commander and SatPC32 are not running at the same level of Windows Administrator privilege, and thus are being prohibited from communicating

2. Your anti-malware is preventing Commander and SatPC32 from communicating (boot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking"; do they now communicate?)

Bill Pence

Could this be the issue?
Did you make this change from the dxlab setup info?

Continuous Tracking

By default, SatPC32 only conveys information to Commander when the selected satellite is above the horizon. You can change this to "always conveys information to Commander":

  1. In the ? menu, place your mouse over the Auxilliary Files entry; in the menu that appears to the right, select DivOptions.SQF

  2. The file DivOptions.SQF should appear in your default text file editor. Change the second line of this file from - (2) to + (2)

  3. Save the change you made to DivOptions.SQF

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021, 11:04 AM Dave Fugleberg <davefugleberg@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bill - I did read that. However, the problem is that Commander will not even connect to SatPC32, which must happen before SatPC32 tries to convey any data to Commander.  Just to be sure, I tried connecting while a sat was overhead and actively being tracked, but it made no difference.
I suspect the real problem is related to what Dave mentioned about administrator privilege. None of the DxLab programs require admin privs to run, and none are configured to do so.  SatPC32, on the other hand, will not even complete its installation unless you use the 'run as administrator' function on the installer. Once you do, you are forced to run the application as administrator every time you start it.

Dave, this integration obviously works for someone...do those users routinely run DxLab as administrator? or is there some other trick involved?

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 2:50 PM Bill Pence <pence.bill@...> wrote:
[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

Once you do, you are forced to run the application as administrator
every time you start it.
Not the case unless you have installed an application that writes
user files to its own directories in a "protected" directory. I
know of many applications that recommend running the installer
(only) as administrator to assure the proper keys are written
to the Registry.

.

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021, 11:04 AM Dave Fugleberg <davefugleberg@gmail.com>
wrote:

[...]

+ That's my next question, Dave: in what folder is SatPC32 installed?

Dave Fugleberg

Dave,
SatPC32 is installed to the default location where its installer puts it - C:\Program Files (x86)\SatPC32\

Joe, if I try to run the application as a regular user, it errors with "runtime error 217 at 00673791".

By the way, this is Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 OS Build 19043.1110

73 de W0ZF

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 5:40 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

> Once you do, you are forced to run the application as administrator
> every time you start it.

Not the case unless you have installed an application that writes user files to its own directories in a "protected" directory.  I know of many applications that recommend running the installer
(only) as administrator to assure the proper keys are written to the Registry.

+ That's my next question, Dave: in what folder is SatPC32 installed?

Joe Subich, W4TV

Joe, if I try to run the application as a regular user, it errors with
"runtime error 217 at 00673791".
Looks to meas if SatPC32 is putting its config files in the program
directory and you have installed it in a protected location. Simply
put, it is bad programming to make the default installation location
C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) if you write configuration
files to the program directory (or a sub directory of the program
directory).

On 2021-07-30 7:37 PM, Dave Fugleberg wrote:
Dave,
SatPC32 is installed to the default location where its installer puts it -
C:\Program Files (x86)\SatPC32\
Joe, if I try to run the application as a regular user, it errors with
"runtime error 217 at 00673791".
By the way, this is Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 OS Build 19043.1110
73 de W0ZF
On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 5:40 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Once you do, you are forced to run the application as administrator
every time you start it.
Not the case unless you have installed an application that writes user
files to its own directories in a "protected" directory. I know of many
applications that recommend running the installer
(only) as administrator to assure the proper keys are written to the
Registry.

+ That's my next question, Dave: in what folder is SatPC32 installed?

SatPC32 is installed to the default location where its installer puts it - C:\Program Files (x86)\SatPC32\

Joe, if I try to run the application as a regular user, it errors with "runtime error 217 at 00673791".

By the way, this is Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 OS Build 19043.1110

+ You have SatPC32 installed in a file system location that Windows considers "protected", which means it requires Administrator privileges to run.

+ I suggest that you uninstall it, and install it in an unprotected location, like C:\SatPC32

Bill Pence

I do not run satpc32 in elevated admin mode...
Unsure why your system requires it.

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021, 5:50 PM Dave Fugleberg <davefugleberg@...> wrote:
[...]

+ In what folder do you have SatPC32 installed, Bill?

Bill Pence

Satpc32.exe is in
C:Program Files (x86)/SatPC32

Data files are in
C:Users/KI4US/AppData/Rosming/SatPC32

As I recall, I made no changes in the install away from defaults...

I know I am an admin on the pc but I think all my apps are in normal user mode...

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021, 9:11 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I do not run satpc32 in elevated admin mode...
Unsure why your system requires it.

+ In what folder do you have SatPC32 installed, Bill?

Dave Fugleberg

OK, so I uninstalled SatPC32 using the standard Windows 10 'Apps and Features' panel, and reinstalled. This time, I ran the installer using 'Run as Administrator', but when prompted for a location I instructed it to install to a new folder c:\SatPC32\.  The installation completed successfully.

I tried to run it normally (NOT as Administrator), and it immediately pops an error dialog with the title Error and the text "runtime error 217 at 00673791".

I closed that dialog and ran it using the 'Run as Administrator' right click context menu, and it runs fine.

So, it still appears to want to touch some protected area of Windows, which is bad form indeed.

I wonder what's different between my Windows system and Bill's ?
73 de W0ZF

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 7:36 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
SatPC32 is installed to the default location where its installer puts it - C:\Program Files (x86)\SatPC32\

Joe, if I try to run the application as a regular user, it errors with "runtime error 217 at 00673791".

By the way, this is Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 OS Build 19043.1110

+ You have SatPC32 installed in a file system location that Windows considers "protected", which means it requires Administrator privileges to run.

+ I suggest that you uninstall it, and install it in an unprotected location, like C:\SatPC32

Satpc32.exe is in

C:Program Files (x86)/SatPC32

+ That's a folder that Windows considers "protected".

Data files are in
C:Users/KI4US/AppData/Rosming/SatPC32

As I recall, I made no changes in the install away from defaults...

I know I am an admin on the pc but I think all my apps are in normal user mode...

+ If your Windows user has admin privileges, so do all of the apps you start.

Bill Pence

Well crap. I thought i still had to "run as administrator "

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021, 9:27 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Satpc32.exe is in

C:Program Files (x86)/SatPC32

+ That's a folder that Windows considers "protected".

Data files are in
C:Users/KI4US/AppData/Rosming/SatPC32

As I recall, I made no changes in the install away from defaults...

I know I am an admin on the pc but I think all my apps are in normal user mode...

+ If your Windows user has admin privileges, so do all of the apps you start.

Joe Subich, W4TV

Data files are in
C:Users/KI4US/AppData/Rosming/SatPC32
If the data files are in C:\User\<user_name>/AppData/Roaming
you are fine. The program files can be in C:\Programs without
any issue (that is Microsoft's recommended configuration)
even as a "normal" user.

It sounds like Dave has another problem and should probably
seek support from the Developer of SatPC32.

On 2021-07-30 9:20 PM, Bill Pence wrote:
Satpc32.exe is in
C:Program Files (x86)/SatPC32
Data files are in
C:Users/KI4US/AppData/Rosming/SatPC32
As I recall, I made no changes in the install away from defaults...
I know I am an admin on the pc but I think all my apps are in normal user
mode...
On Fri, Jul 30, 2021, 9:11 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

I do not run satpc32 in elevated admin mode...
Unsure why your system requires it.

+ In what folder do you have SatPC32 installed, Bill?

Dave Fugleberg

Thanks guys.
Some additional info.
My shack PC has local accounts only - one administrator account, and one regular user. I normally use that PC as the regular user.

I also have a laptop. On this laptop, I have only a single Microsoft account, which is an administrator. I just installed SatPC32 on that laptop. I used the right-click context menu on installer, and chose Run as Administrator, because the instructions say to do so even if you are an administrator.

After the installer completed, I ran the application normally (double click the shortcut on the desktop), and it started fine.

So, it seems to be related to the way my shack PC is set up.  Maybe it's time to give in and switch to Microsoft accounts on the shack PC.
73 de W0ZF

On 2021-07-30 9:20 PM, Bill Pence wrote:
> Satpc32.exe is in
> C:Program Files (x86)/SatPC32
>
> Data files are in
> C:Users/KI4US/AppData/Rosming/SatPC32
>

> As I recall, I made no changes in the install away from defaults...
>

> I know I am an admin on the pc but I think all my apps are in normal user
> mode...
>
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2021, 9:11 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
>
>> + AA6YQ comments below
>>
>> I do not run satpc32 in elevated admin mode...
>> Unsure why your system requires it.
>>
>> + In what folder do you have SatPC32 installed, Bill?
>>
>>      73,
>>
>>            Dave, AA6YQ

g4wjs

Dave,

why are you running the SatPC32 installer using "Run as Administrator"? Most Windows installers will request elevated rights for just the parts of the installation that need it, like writing to the system registry. The installer should cause the system to prompt for credentials of an account with Administrator rights if it needs it, and automatically drop the elelvated rights when they are no longer needed.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 31/07/2021 02:25, Dave Fugleberg wrote:
[...]

Bill (G4WJS),
You're correct - that's how a well-behaved Windows application works. However, SatPC32 does not. I have a Win10 laptop where I log in with my Microsoft account. Settings..Accounts..Your Info shows that this account is Administrator. If I simply run the installer, it goes through the first few screens, but then errors out with "Error 1925. You do not have sufficient privileges to complete this installation for all users of the machine. Log on as an administrator and then retry this installation".
If instead I run the installer using the "run as Administrator" context menu, the installation completes successfully.

The documentation for the program (including the article that's linked to in the DxLab Wiki) insists that one must run the installer using 'Run as Administrator' menu, even if they are an administrator, which matches my experience.

But frankly, getting the program installed is not the problem.  The problem I experienced is that on my shack desktop, the program itself (having already been installed) will not RUN unless I 'run as administrator'. That's where I ran into issues. This seems to be related to the way I have my accounts set up on the shack PC, and has nothing to do with either SatPC32, DxLab, or the interface between the two.  So, I am going to go investigate that, and perhaps rethink how I manage accounts on that machine, and see if I can get past this.  Thanks to all who have chimed in to help.  Once I get everything working, I'll post an update.

73 de W0ZF