From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris - N0CC
Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2020 11:56 AM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] Commander Spectrum Waterfall

I'm sure I'm going to be embarrassed when I get this worked out, but at the moment I'm at a loss.  The Commander's spectrum waterfall display has quit working.  The window opens but it is blank, nothing showing except a wite area at the top and black at the bottom.  The frequency window is blank as well but the band change buttons work.  I've been using Win4Icom but I think Commander was working normally before.  Their waterfall display works fine as does WSJT-X.  Everything else seems to be working.  Commander displays the Main and Sub VFOs and sends commands to the radio.  I'm sure there is something in the interplay of programs that I'm missing  but it's not apparent.  Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris NØCC

I'm sure I'm going to be embarrassed when I get this worked out, but at the moment I'm at a loss. The Commander's spectrum waterfall display has quit working. The window opens but it is blank, nothing showing except a wite area at the top and black at the bottom. The frequency window is blank as well but the band change buttons work. I've been using Win4Icom but I think Commander was working normally before. Their waterfall display works fine as does WSJT-X. Everything else seems to be working. Commander displays the Main and Sub VFOs and sends commands to the radio. I'm sure there is something in the interplay of programs that I'm missing but it's not apparent. Any hints would be appreciated.

+ Please connect Commander directly to the COM port associated with your transceiver's USB CI-V port. Can you change your transceiver's frequency and mode from Commander's Main window? Does Commander's Main window track frequency and mode changes made from you transceiver's front panel?

Chris - N0CC

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response.  When I connect directly to the 7160's port (COM4) all works normally.  When I'm connecting through Win4Icom (COM21), I can track frequency, change frequency and change mode via the Commander Main window.  The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the spectrum waterfall.  The window stays blank when it's connected to the emulated port.

Chris NØCC

Chris - N0CC

John,
I tried as you suggested but it had no effect on the spectrum waterfall display.  It stays blank.  As I told Dave, things go back to normal when I don't load Win4Icom and reset the port to Com4.  It's really not a deal buster, one waterfall is really all that's needed but I'm curious.  I think once I've dealt with this I may try the Icom IQ output addition.
Thanks for the suggestion.
73,
Chris NØCC

Thanks for the response. When I connect directly to the 7160's port (COM4) all works normally. When I'm connecting through Win4Icom (COM21), I can track frequency, change frequency and change mode via the Commander Main window. The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the spectrum waterfall. The window stays blank when it's connected to the emulated port.

+ That's because when Win4Icom is "in the connection path", Commander does not receive Spectrum-Waterfall data from your transceiver.

+ Win4Icom does not fully emulate the connected Icom transceiver. Besides the Spectrum-Waterfall CI-V commands, it also fails to convey the CI-V commands that query and report CW keying speed; there are likely other gaps.

+ If Commander is not directly connected to your transceiver, the first step in debugging any transceiver control problem is to directly connect Commander to your transceiver.

Chris - N0CC

Dave,

Thanks for that info.  It makes perfect sense and it’s not something I noticed in the docs.  I’ll have to be careful when using Win4Icom.  My main purpose was to be able to run Commander, N1MM, and SKCCLogger at the ssame time since they (and others) need the COM port.  I just got lazy and the ability to have the simultaneous connections is nice and most of the time it does what I need.  I’ll just have to weigh the pros and cons and operate accordingly.  One minus I’ve noticed is that the Win4Icom response is a bit sluggish, something that doesn’t happen with Commander’s waterfall.

73.

Chris NØCC