Commander Set Up: Identifying Serial Port in Use by Transceiver

Brian Deuby

I have been using the DX Labs Suite for many years with my Elecraft K3. I now have a K4 (and the K3) and am attempting to configure Commander  to add the K4 as an additional transceiver.

The K4 is connected to my Windows 10 HP PC via a USB B port and cable.

I have always found port identification to be a baffling subject. Is there an easy way to find out which port the K4 is assigned to on my PC so I can tell that to Commander ? I would prefer to lengthy trial and error.

Thanks,

Brian, K8GRR

Gilbert Baron W0MN

Outlook LT Gil W0MN

Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

44.08226 N 92.51265 W EN34rb

The Windows button THE ONE WITH 4 Squares usually at bpttpm next to FN and then select Device Manager and then Ports. It will show all that you need to identify.

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

I have been using the DX Labs Suite for many years with my Elecraft K3. I now have a K4 (and the K3) and am attempting to configure Commander  to add the K4 as an additional transceiver.

The K4 is connected to my Windows 10 HP PC via a USB B port and cable.

I have always found port identification to be a baffling subject. Is there an easy way to find out which port the K4 is assigned to on my PC so I can tell that to Commander ? I would prefer to lengthy trial and error

+ Try this procedure

1. disconnect your K4 from your computer

2. in the Windows Device Manager, open the Ports section, and jot down the names of each existing COM port

3. connect your K4 to your computer

4. in the Windows Device Manager, invoke the Action menu's "Scan for hardware changes" command

5. a new COM port should appear in the Device Manager's Ports section

6. compare the list of COM ports being displayed with the list you created in step 2 to identify the new one, which is your K4

RICH NU6T

K1EL has a nice tool for free dl to ID ports.  You may need more than just port ID.

Rich
NU6T

+ AA6YQ comments below