Topics

Commander secondary CAT serial port question

Rick Boswell

I have recently set up my station in the configuration shown here: HDSDRCWSkimmerConfiguration - DX Lab Suite Wiki with the exception of substituting an SDRPlay RSPdx for the SDR Hardware  and SDRuno for HDSDR, as well as eliminating the antenna switch/splitter as this function is done in the radio (FTDX-101MP). Everything working as expected except for one minor detail: SDRuno provides an RF Mute function which is normally invoked on xmit and cancelled when the xcvr returns to receive. This is not functioning as expected in my setup. I have spent considerable time investigating and potentially ruling out various causes, but dont seem any closer to a solution. One possibility yet to be explored is the way Commander and OmniRig interoperate in this config. I notice in the Commander Configuration panel, for the Secondary CAT port, that the CAT Protocol selector has only one setting for Kenwood radios, which is "Kenwood." OmniRig has settings for various models of Kenwood radios (TS-480, TS-2000, etc). I have looked at the command set for several Kenwood radio models and there are differences. SDRuno is said to respond to the TS-480 CAT protocol and this is what I have set in the OmniRig configuration panel. I have some but limited knowledge of CAT protocols but it appears in looking at the TS-480 command set that the RF Mute function is turned on by a transmit command and turned off via a receive command.  So, a long route to my question!  Wondering if the "Kenwood" protocol selection in Commander Secondary CAT port configuration differs from the TS-480 command set in a way which might cause the problem I am seeing?

Any guidance appreciated.

Rick
K8EZB

Joe Subich, W4TV

So, a long route to my question! Wondering if the "Kenwood"
protocol selection in Commander Secondary CAT port configuration
differs from the TS-480 command set in a way which might cause the
problem I am seeing?
No. What you see is simply due to the fact that Commander's Secondary
CAT Serial port is expected to drive a receiver, tuner, or amplifier
with frequency/mode data. It does not provide full transceiver control
- e.g., there are no TX/RX switching commands.

On 2021-01-11 1:57 PM, Rick Boswell wrote:
I have recently set up my station in the configuration shown here: HDSDRCWSkimmerConfiguration - DX Lab Suite Wiki ( http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/HDSDRCWSkimmerConfiguration ) with the exception of substituting an SDRPlay RSPdx for the SDR Hardware  and SDRuno for HDSDR, as well as eliminating the antenna switch/splitter as this function is done in the radio (FTDX-101MP). Everything working as expected except for one minor detail: SDRuno provides an RF Mute function which is normally invoked on xmit and cancelled when the xcvr returns to receive. This is not functioning as expected in my setup. I have spent considerable time investigating and potentially ruling out various causes, but dont seem any closer to a solution. One possibility yet to be explored is the way Commander and OmniRig interoperate in this config. I notice in the Commander Configuration panel, for the Secondary CAT port, that the CAT Protocol selector has only one setting for Kenwood radios, which is "Kenwood." OmniRig has settings for various models of Kenwood radios (TS-480, TS-2000, etc). I have looked at the command set for several Kenwood radio models and there are differences. SDRuno is said to respond to the TS-480 CAT protocol and this is what I have set in the OmniRig configuration panel. I have some but limited knowledge of CAT protocols but it appears in looking at the TS-480 command set that the RF Mute function is turned on by a transmit command and turned off via a receive command.  So, a long route to my question!  Wondering if the "Kenwood" protocol selection in Commander Secondary CAT port configuration differs from the TS-480 command set in a way which might cause the problem I am seeing?
Any guidance appreciated.
Rick
K8EZB

Rick Boswell

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 12:00 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
- e.g., there are no TX/RX switching commands.
Any thoughts re a workaround? SDRuno/RSPdx cant transmit but as far as I can tell does need to receive TX/RX commands to turn the AF and RF mute functions on/off.

RB

[...]

+ That's because Kenwood transceivers respond to an ID; command by reporting their model number. Thus any model-specific variances can be handled without relying on the user to select the correct model number.

OmniRig has settings for various models of Kenwood radios (TS-480, TS-2000, etc).

+ That's unnecessary, as explained above.

I have looked at the command set for several Kenwood radio models and there are differences. SDRuno is said to respond to the TS-480 CAT protocol and this is what I have set in the OmniRig configuration panel. I have some but limited knowledge of CAT protocols but it appears in looking at the TS-480 command set that the RF Mute function is turned on by a transmit command and turned off via a receive command. So, a long route to my question! Wondering if the "Kenwood" protocol selection in Commander Secondary CAT port configuration differs from the TS-480 command set in a way which might cause the problem I am seeing?

+ As Joe W4TV has pointed out, Commander does not direct a device connected to its Secondary CAT Port to transmit.

- e.g., there are no TX/RX switching commands.

Any thoughts re a workaround? SDRuno/RSPdx cant transmit but as far as I can tell does need to receive TX/RX commands to turn the AF and RF mute functions on/off.

+ The next significant project on my agenda is support for a panadaptor that can display the color-coded callsigns of active stations using a low-cost SDRPlay device. Whether this project will cause me to reconsider my prohibition on directing a secondary device to transmit is to-be-determined. The problem with "options" is that they can be inadvertently changed, or changed by corruption of the Windows Registry in which they are stored. Having such events result in equipment damage is unacceptable.

+ The alternative for muting your SDRPlay is to use a relay to interrupt its antenna input when your transceiver is transmitting.

Rick Boswell

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 02:08 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ The next significant project on my agenda is support for a panadaptor that can display the color-coded callsigns of active stations using a low-cost SDRPlay device. Whether this project will cause me to reconsider my prohibition on directing a secondary device to transmit is to-be-determined. The problem with "options" is that they can be inadvertently changed, or changed by corruption of the Windows Registry in which they are stored.
Dave,

If you look carefully at SDRuno, the essence of what you describe is already there with optional plugins (DXCluster etc). Have been using SDRuno for only a couple of weeks, but very much impressed with the overall capability despite a few rough spots which are likely to be resolved in upcoming updates. Perhaps some kind of collaboration with SDRPlay?

+ The alternative for muting your SDRPlay is to use a relay to interrupt its antenna input when your transceiver is transmitting.
A relay? So yesterday considering all the MIPS and gigabytes available!

RB

Dave AA6YQ

@ more AA6YQ comments below

@ I have been in contact with SDRPlay developers since before their plug-in system was introduced, and am thus aware of its capabilities. I will also consider Steve N2IC's Waterall-Bandspread application. My "problem" is not awareness, it's time. Multi-week enhancements like this are last on my priority queue, behind answering questions here, correcting defects, and implementing high-value low-cost enhancements.

@ Feel free to use those MIPS and gigabytes to develop your own software that does exactly what you want, when you want it.