Commander Ptt Options

Dave, I see in Commander that ptt options seem to be confined to CAT control, however I do see a cat suppress option.

+ The "Suppress CAT" option is necessary because some transceivers can't tolerate receiving CAT instructions to switch between RX and TX while also receiving signals from a PTT input (cough K3 cough).

On a FTDX101 using standard comport RTS for Ptt , I do not see an option to support that there, I may be going blind ?

+ On Commander's Configuration window's Port tab, there are DTR and RTS selectors in the "Primary CAT Serial Port" tab. Either can be set to "TX", meaning "assert when transmitting".

+ The Reference documentation is here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/Help/Configuration.htm#Com%20Tab

Dave, Ok on that so as you know the enhanced and standard comports are separate comports id's etc.

I use enhanced for CAT with CAT RTS option off at radio, and Standard for Ptt/FSK/Key etc.

So in this case there is no provision to nominate a comport for ptt. I am not using RTS on the CAT comport.

+ If you look at page 3 of the FTDX101 CAT Operation Reference Manual, you will see that an RS-232 cable connecting your computer to your FTDX101 will provide CAT, RTS, and DTR signals. Thus you can in fact specify a comport for both CAT and "hardware PTT" using RTS or DTR.

+ Yes, the FTDX101's virtual serial ports place CAT and RTS/DTR on different virtual ports. Yaesu evidently assumes that FTDX101 users who want their computer connected to their transceiver with a USB cable and employ CAT will use CAT for RX/TX. The fact that 3 years after the radio's introduction, you are the first FTDX101 user to inquire about separate CAT and RX/TX control via virtual serial ports validates that assumption.

* more AA6YQ comments below

I use the USB interface providing enhanced and Standard comports. CAT rts off is beneficial when sharing the CAT port.

* Sharing a CAT port is unreliable. Doing that violates your DXLab warranty.

I do use Commander as my wsjtx interface in radio select, and have the SPE amp on secondary port (SPE direct connect to PC) following primary and its sub vfo in split/tx option.

+ Yes, the FTDX101's virtual serial ports place CAT and RTS/DTR on different virtual ports. Yaesu evidently assumes that FTDX101 users who want their computer connected to their transceiver with a USB cable and employ CAT will use CAT for RX/TX. The fact that 3 years after the radio's introduction, you are the first FTDX101 user to inquire about separate CAT and RX/TX control via virtual serial ports validates that assumption.

Haha ok on that, Yes well the standard comport is made for the job, and very useful in RTTY/KEY applications.

* The FTDX101's physcial COM port works well in all usage scenarios, but is only necessary if you insist on using RTS or DTR for RX/TX switching rather than using CAT for RX/TX switching. Otherwise, the virtual COM port for CAT is fully functional.

CAT applications assume that they are the only application sending CAT commands to the radio. Sharing the CAT port violates those assumptions. The fact that you don't notice failures doesn't mean that they don't occur.

WinWarbler includes the MMTTY engine, and supports EXTFSK and ExtFSK64 for FSK RTTY operation.

Ops with CAT-supported amps can use Commander's Secondary CAT port - as you report doing - leaving the FTDX-101's RS-232 port available.

"User demand" for supporting a separate PTT port is demonstrably low. While conceptually trivial, the development and testing effort would be significant. Low value, significant cost => low priority. Adding another Secondary CAT port, for example, would help far more users.

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2022-11-19 11:46 PM, Adrian Fewster wrote:

I do not share the CAT port anymore than I have to. I have not had any issues running rigctld (for node red support) and HSDR for the rsp1 on RF out, with omnirig use. All this works wonderfully well (last 2 years), together with already mentioned, once RTS/DTR modem options were taken out of the CAT sharing software, and radio CAT option. The SPE node red flow sets the FTDX101 (flow) drive on pwr profile and band, in the same way SPE supports Flex drive.
There is no need to share the CAT port for PTT when using WSJTX and
Commander. WSJTX allows specifying a separate serial port for PTT
- even when using Commander (or Omni-Rig) and will not send PTT
instructions via CAT but will route them to the "PTT port." You
can easily use that port for the "Standard serial port" in the
Yaesu rigs (just as I do with WSJTX/Commander with my microHAM
microKEYER II and microKEYER III interfaces).

Commander's CAT port uses the Yaesu "Enhanced Serial port" without
RTS/DTR while WSJTX uses the "Standard Serial port" RTS for PTT.

On 2022-11-19 11:46 PM, Adrian Fewster wrote:
Inline ;
On 20/11/22 14:22, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
* more AA6YQ comments below

I use the USB interface providing enhanced and Standard comports. CAT rts off is beneficial when sharing the CAT port.

* Sharing a CAT port is unreliable. Doing that violates your DXLab warranty.
I do not share the CAT port anymore than I have to. I have not had any issues running rigctld (for node red support) and HSDR for the rsp1 on RF out,
with omnirig use. All this works wonderfully well (last 2 years), together with already mentioned, once RTS/DTR modem options were taken out of the
 CAT sharing software, and radio CAT option. The SPE node red flow sets the FTDX101 (flow) drive on pwr profile and band, in the same way SPE supports Flex drive.
It is very useful and safe.

[...]

The virtual standard comport works very well and is designed for that re;
"insist on using RTS or DTR for RX/TX switching"
, so not sure why you do not acknowledge it beside the rs-232. When using MMTTY it is fabulous for ExtFSK64
Others with CAT supported amps usually have the rs-232 tied up for that. So they would appreciate standard comport support too.
My direct PC connect setup for Commander is a seldom used method. I like being able to track the Sub vfo in split..
I feel if you added a ptt comport select it would get used. However I know you have other priorities.
73
Adrian Fewster