Topics

Commander Interrogation

Fred Coelho
 

I can't seem to turn Interrogation off permanently in Commanders General Tab. I turn it off, Interrogation stops but if I close Commander and then re-open it the Interrogation check box is back on.

Setup: Verify CI-V command acceptance is off, Primary CAT active, no secondary CAT. Interrogation is not on in the capture window.

Any thoughts?

fred WX1S

Joe Subich, W4TV
 

Do you have "Interrogate" checked on the "MultiRadio" tab?


73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2019-10-30 9:27 AM, Fred Coelho wrote:
I can't seem to turn Interrogation off permanently in Commanders General Tab. I turn it off, Interrogation stops but if I close Commander and then re-open it the Interrogation check box is back on.
Setup: Verify CI-V command acceptance is off, Primary CAT active, no secondary CAT. Interrogation is not on in the capture window.
Any thoughts?
fred WX1S

Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

I can't seem to turn Interrogation off permanently in Commanders General Tab. I turn it off, Interrogation stops but if I close Commander and then re-open it the Interrogation check box is back on.

Setup: Verify CI-V command acceptance is off, Primary CAT active, no secondary CAT. Interrogation is not on in the capture window.

Any thoughts?

+ That's correct behavior. For transceivers (like your Icom) that require interrogation, Commander automatically enables it.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Fred Coelho
 

But I have CI-V Transceive on to support my amp. According to the balloon text shouldn't I turn it off?
73
fred WX1S

Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 11:47 AM, Fred Coelho wrote:

But I have CI-V Transceive on to support my amp. According to the balloon text shouldn't I turn it off?
+ No.

     73,

           Dave, AA6YQ

g4wjs
 

On 30/10/2019 18:47, Fred Coelho wrote:
But I have CI-V Transceive on to support my amp.
Hi Fred,

what amp is that?



--
73

Bill

G4WJS.

Fred Coelho
 

Thanks Dave!

Bill I have an Elecraft. It uses the CI-V to line up the ATU.

73 fred WX1S

g4wjs
 

On 30/10/2019 20:36, Fred Coelho wrote:
Thanks Dave!

Bill I have an Elecraft. It uses the CI-V to line up the ATU.

73 fred WX1S
Hi Fred,

a well behaved CI-V monitoring device should be just as happy with obtaining frequency information from a PC application polling the rig as it would be from reading CI-V Transceive Mode generated updates from the rig.

The obvious exception to this is the Icom PW-1 which is defective and can be damaged by sharing a CI-V bus with a PC CAT control application.

I would be surprised if your PA does not track your rig from Commander's polling (interrogation), although that does require that you always have Commander or some other PC CAT application polling the rig. Note that some, maybe all, microHAM interfaces also satisfy this requirement by polling the rig if no CAT application is doing so.

The question you should be asking Dave is whether it is OK to have CI-V Transceive Mode enabled when using Commander, if not then you need to ensure that your PA gets frequency information while Commander is not running.

73
Bill
G4WJS.



--
73

Bill

G4WJS.

Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

Thanks Dave!

Bill I have an Elecraft. It uses the CI-V to line up the ATU.

+ Is your ATU connected to a CI-V port on your Elecraft amplifier, or to a CI-V interface connected to Commander's Secondary CAT port?

+ What make and model transceiver are you using?

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Joe Subich, W4TV
 

Bill I have an Elecraft. It uses the CI-V to line up the ATU.
Elecraft transceivers do not generate or use Icom CI-V protocol.

Elecraft KPA-500 uses the Icom "band voltage" *not CI-V*

Elecraft KAT-500 emulates the Icom AH-4 tuner (key, start, +12V
and ground) *not CI-V*.

How are you generating/using CI-V?

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2019-10-30 5:43 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
Thanks Dave!
Bill I have an Elecraft. It uses the CI-V to line up the ATU.
+ Is your ATU connected to a CI-V port on your Elecraft amplifier, or to a CI-V interface connected to Commander's Secondary CAT port?
+ What make and model transceiver are you using?
73,
Dave, AA6YQ

Fred Coelho
 

OK, let me try to sort this all out. Lots of information.

My rig is an Icom 7610
My amp is a Elecraft which uses uses CI-V to line up the ATU There's a jack on the back of the amp for that.
I have intermittent comm on my 7610 remote jack (I suspect I have a cold or cracked solder joint) It works for hours but when I turn off the rig off and let it cool it stops working (till it starts working again)
The only reason I asked about turning off Interrogation was because when I placed my mouse over Interrogation on Commanders General Tab the balloon text message popped up and said turn off Interrogation if using CI-V transceive. "Dave said to leave it on."
According to Elecraft I need to have CI-V Transceive = ON (Icom Default Setting), and Output for Antenna = ON. It's in their tech note.

Given the fact that my rig may have a faulty remote port, I wonder if anyone has knowledge of an application that I can use to mirror my primary port comm and send it out a different port. Some sort of comm port re-director. Not sure if this would work but it's worth a try. I only need to send frequency and band information to the amp in CI-V format. I really don't want to send my rig in for repair.

Thanks, your responses they are very informative. If I've missed anything please let me know.

73 fred

Fred Coelho
 

Oops I missed one. Sorry Bill (G4WJS) The amp does not poll it only listens. I guess that's why Transceive/Output for Antennas needs to be on.

73 fred WX1S

g4wjs
 

On 31/10/2019 13:22, Fred Coelho wrote:
Oops I missed one. Sorry Bill (G4WJS) The amp does not poll it only listens. I guess that's why Transceive/Output for Antennas needs to be on.

73 fred WX1S
Hi Fred,

yes, that's what I implied. The amp should be able to get the required frequency information from the rig's replies to Commander's polls. Having said that, since you say your rig's REMOTE jack is intermittent, you can set Commander's secondary CAT device to track the primary and have it send Icom CAT commands to the secondary device. You would need to have a PC to CI-V interface between your PC and rig, then connect Commander's secondary CAT device to that COM port. You would still have the problem that your PA would not track the rig's frequency unless Commander is running.

By far your best solution is to get your intermittent REMOTE jack sorted out and then set the rig to UNLINK the REMOTE jack from the USB CI-V. That way the PA will always track the rig using CI-V Transceive Mode on the REMOTE jack and Commander can control the rig via the USB CI-V port.



--
73

Bill

G4WJS.

g4wjs
 

On 31/10/2019 14:07, g4wjs wrote:
You would need to have a PC to CI-V interface between your PC and rig, then connect Commander's secondary CAT device to that COM port.

Hi again Fred,

apologies, that should have stated:

You would need to have a PC to CI-V interface between your PC and rig *PA*, then connect Commander's secondary CAT device to that COM port.


--
73

Bill

G4WJS.

Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

OK, let me try to sort this all out. Lots of information.

My rig is an Icom 7610
My amp is a Elecraft which uses uses CI-V to line up the ATU There's a jack on the back of the amp for that.
I have intermittent comm on my 7610 remote jack (I suspect I have a cold or cracked solder joint) It works for hours but when I turn off the rig off and let it cool it stops working (till it starts working again) The only reason I asked about turning off Interrogation was because when I placed my mouse over Interrogation on Commanders General Tab the balloon text message popped up and said turn off Interrogation if using CI-V transceive. "Dave said to leave it on."

+ That "explanatory popup" contains an obsolete recommendation; I have corrected it in the next version.

+ As Bill G4WJS has pointed out, enabling "CI-V transceive" is likely unnecessary; your amplifier should be able to track your transceiver's frequency by monitoring its response to Commander's frequent "report your frequency" commands.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Joe Subich, W4TV
 

I have intermittent comm on my 7610 remote jack (I suspect I have a
cold or cracked solder joint) It works for hours but when I turn
off the rig off and let it cool it stops working (till it starts
working again)
Are you sure the port is bad and not an issue with your transceiver's
configuration? In particular, make sure that "CI-V Baud Rate = 4800"
and *NOT* "CI-V Baud Rate = Auto"

Also, assuming you are using the USB port for Commander, make sure
"CI-V USB Port = UNLINK" so that you can set the USB port to 115,000
baud for Commander/Panadapter without causing problems for the CI-V
port.

Finally, set "CI-V USB Echo Back: OFF" so that the CI-V port is not
overrun by data from the USB port.

All of these settings are documented in the IC-610 Instruction Manual
(although not explained very well).

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2019-10-31 7:26 AM, Fred Coelho wrote:
OK, let me try to sort this all out. Lots of information.
My rig is an Icom 7610
My amp is a Elecraft which uses uses CI-V to line up the ATU There's a jack on the back of the amp for that.
I have intermittent comm on my 7610 remote jack (I suspect I have a cold or cracked solder joint) It works for hours but when I turn off the rig off and let it cool it stops working (till it starts working again)
The only reason I asked about turning off Interrogation was because when I placed my mouse over Interrogation on Commanders General Tab the balloon text message popped up and said turn off Interrogation if using CI-V transceive. "Dave said to leave it on."
According to Elecraft I need to have CI-V Transceive = ON (Icom Default Setting), and Output for Antenna = ON. It's in their tech note.
Given the fact that my rig may have a faulty remote port, I wonder if anyone has knowledge of an application that I can use to mirror my primary port comm and send it out a different port. Some sort of comm port re-director. Not sure if this would work but it's worth a try. I only need to send frequency and band information to the amp in CI-V format. I really don't want to send my rig in for repair.
Thanks, your responses they are very informative. If I've missed anything please let me know.
73 fred

Fred Coelho
 

Hi Joe,

All of my settings are set as you described except I now have the CI-V bus set to 9600. I have tried 4800, 9600 and 19200 all with the same results. My CI-V baud rate is not set to auto. I have CI-V set to unlink, echo is off and yes I use commander on the USB. It's now set to 115.200.

I'm fairly certain I have a hardware issue. If I leave my rig on for a couple of hours my amp tracks. Although sometimes it only tracks band changes, mostly it works fine. Next I may try wiring Commanders secondary port to the amp and following the primary port. Before I do that I'll have to pick up an interface. My old K1NU seems to be acting up. You know what they say, when it rains it pours.

This is kind of funny, I had one simple question about enabling Interrogation and it ends up being a long discussion. Oh well, I guess that's what hams do.

Thanks again Joe es 73,
fred WX1S

Joe Subich, W4TV
 

All of my settings are set as you described except I now have the CI-V bus set to 9600. I have tried 4800, 9600 and 19200 all with the same results.
What is the KPA-1500 "SERIAL SPEED XCVR" menu item set to?

Per the KPA1500 Owner's Manual:

The transceiver’s CI-V speed (typically 4800 bits/second) must
match the SERIAL SPEED XCVR menu item.
To set up an Icom CI-V system follow these steps:
1. Connect a 1/8” (3.5mm) cable from the Icom Remote jack to the
KPA1500 XCVR SERIAL jack.
2. On the KPA1500, enter the MENU and select:
a. RADIO = SERIAL
b. SERIAL SPEED XCVR = 4800
3. On the Icom radio, set it for:
a. CI-V baud rate = 4800
b. CI-V Transceive = ON
c. CI-V Output = ON
d. Note: No CI-V address is required for use with the KPA1500.
Make sure the Icom CI-V baud rate and the KPA-1500 SERIAL SPEED XCVR
match. I've never encountered a serial port that is intermittent the
way you describe.

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2019-10-31 5:25 PM, Fred Coelho wrote:
Hi Joe,
All of my settings are set as you described except I now have the CI-V bus set to 9600. I have tried 4800, 9600 and 19200 all with the same results. My CI-V baud rate is not set to auto. I have CI-V set to unlink, echo is off and yes I use commander on the USB. It's now set to 115.200.
I'm fairly certain I have a hardware issue. If I leave my rig on for a couple of hours my amp tracks. Although sometimes it only tracks band changes, mostly it works fine. Next I may try wiring Commanders secondary port to the amp and following the primary port. Before I do that I'll have to pick up an interface. My old K1NU seems to be acting up. You know what they say, when it rains it pours.
This is kind of funny, I had one simple question about enabling Interrogation and it ends up being a long discussion. Oh well, I guess that's what hams do.
Thanks again Joe es 73,
fred WX1S