Topics

Commander + CW Skimmer to Commander - strange behaviour

Wolf, DK1FW

Dave,

For pile-up situations I have been using CW-Skimmer together W3OA's CW-Skimmer-to-Commander. For years this combination has worked flawlessly.

Since adding WSJT support to my DXLab configuration I observe a stange behaviour.
This only occurs, when I have previously switched to FT8 (through WW) prior to CW, even if JTDX and JTAlert have not yet been started.

When switching modes (generally through WW) I use WW startup macros, which control some mode specific settings of my FT-5000.
For WSJT modes the PSK startup macro puts VFO-A (RX) into SSB while VFO-B (TX) is switched to PSK.

When switching to CW (e. g. after FT8)  the corresponding CW startup macro sets both VFOs to CW identically and de-activates Split.
After then  bringing  up CW-Skimmer and CW-Skimmer-to-Commander the stuation is as follows:
With Split de-activated clicking into the Skimmer waterfall moves VFO-A to that frequency in CW-mode (as it should).
When in Split cklicking into the CW Skimmer waterfall moves VFO-B to that frequency but puts VFO-B into PSK Mode.

I can get out of this situation by (only) terminating Commander. After starting Commander again and switching the radio to CW behaviour is normal again. Clicking into the Skimmer waterfall moves VFO-B to that frequency in CW as it should.

So it looks like Commander somehow remembers the association of VFO-B and PSK even if VFO-B has been switched to CW.

I can live with that situation by my technical mind is puzzled.

73 de Wolf, DK1FW

[...]

+ It sounds like CW-Skimmer-to-Commander is not setting VFO B's mode to CW. To test this theory, create a Commander user-defined command sequence that sets both VFOs to CW. Then invoke this sequence before starting CW-Skimmer-to-Commander.

Wolf, DK1FW

Dave,

All my Startup Macros invole Commander user-defined sequences.
The CW Startup-Macro invokes a sequence in, which all settings for VFO-A are copied to VFO-B.
So after I switch from FT8 to CW in WW both VFOs are in CW. Only Split has to be set manually.

With both VFOs in CW when I click in the Skimmer waterfall VFO-B is set to the click frequeny but mode for that VFO changes from CW to PKT, which is the mode in which it was for FT8.

Only when I terminate and restart Commander VFO-B remains in CW when clicking into the CW Skimmer waterfall.

Am 22.10.2020 um 18:26 schrieb Dave AA6YQ:

+ AA6YQ comments below
[...]

With both VFOs in CW when I click in the Skimmer waterfall VFO-B is set to the click frequency but mode for that VFO changes from CW to PKT, which is the mode in which it was for FT8.

+ How are the settings for VFO-A "copied" to VFO-B?

Wolf, DK1FW

The FT-5000 CAT command 'AB; which I use in the command sequence, copies all VFO-A settings to VFO-B

Am 22.10.2020 um 21:00 schrieb Dave AA6YQ:

+ AA6YQ comments below
All my Startup Macros invole Commander user-defined sequences.
The CW Startup-Macro invokes a sequence in, which all settings for VFO-A are copied to VFO-B.
So after I switch from FT8 to CW in WW both VFOs are in CW. Only Split has to be set manually.

With both VFOs in CW when I click in the Skimmer waterfall VFO-B is set to the click frequency but mode for that VFO changes from CW to PKT, which is the mode in which it was for FT8.

+ How are the settings for VFO-A "copied" to VFO-B?

The FT-5000 CAT command 'AB; which I use in the command sequence, copies all VFO-A settings to VFO-B

+ Are you certain that the AB; command updates VFO B's mode?

Wolf, DK1FW

Definitely! After executing the macro/command sequence I can verify on the Ft5000 display that VFO-B is in CW mode.
Ging to bead now.

Am 22.10.2020 um 23:07 schrieb Dave AA6YQ:

+ AA6YQ comments below
The FT-5000 CAT command 'AB; which I use in the command sequence, copies all VFO-A settings to VFO-B

+ Are you certain that the AB; command updates VFO B's mode?

Definitely! After executing the macro/command sequence I can verify on the Ft5000 display that VFO-B is in CW mode.

+ OK, then use Commander's Messages window to capture the flow of CAT commands to your radio. Locate the AB; command in this flow, and then look for the subsequent CAT command that sets VFO B to the wrong mode.

Wolf, DK1FW

Dave,

I did as you suggested and recorded the Commander Message flow in a step-by-step scenario.

1. Step: only Commander, CW Skimmer to Commander and CW Skimmer are started
Commander's initial command sequence sets both VFOs to CW and same frequency (AB command). No split.
After the AB command only the normal status polling/reporting occurs.
When I set the radio to Split and click into CW Skimmer
-VFO-A is commanded to its previous frequency
-VFO-B is commanded to the click-frequency
-VFO-B is commanded to CW mode
So everything works as it should

2. Step: same configuration as in 1. Step
I invoke my FT8 command sequence, which puts VFO-A(RX) into USB with 4kHz bandwidth and VFO-B(TX) to PKT-U.
After that I invoke my CW command sequence, which is the same as Commander's initial command sequence.
When I then set Split and click into CW Skimmer
- message flow shows the commands as in 1.Step
So still everything is OK

3. Step: Winwarbler ( with no mode-control from Commander) added to the configuration of 1. Step
When the FT8 command sequence and subsequently the CW command sequence are invoked from Commander
- message flow shows the commands as in 1.Step
So still everything is OK

4. Step: same configuration as 3.Step
Now the FT8 sequence and subsequently the CW sequence are invoked from Winwarbler (PSK31 / CW)
These Commander command sequences are part of my PSK and CW start-up makros.
This has set again both VFOs to CW and same frequency (AB command). No split.
After the AB command only the normal status polling/reporting occurs.
When I set the radio to Split and click into CW Skimmer
-VFO-A is commanded to its previous frequency
-VFO-B is commanded to the click-frequency
-VFO-B is commanded to PKT-U mode
So the problem has come up and seems to have someting to do with Winwarbler

5. Step: Winwarbler terminated
FT8 command sequence and subsequently the CW command sequence are invoked from Commander
When I set the radio to Split and click into CW Skimmer
-VFO-A is commanded to its previous frequency
-VFO-B is commanded to the click-frequency
-VFO-B is commanded to PKT-U mode
So the problem persists in spite of WW having been terminated

The only way out now is to teminate and restart Commander.

Puzzled !

Am 23.10.2020 um 00:10 schrieb Dave AA6YQ:

+ AA6YQ comments below
[...]

When I set the radio to Split and click into CW Skimmer -VFO-A is commanded to its previous frequency -VFO-B is commanded to the click-frequency -VFO-B is commanded to PKT-U mode So the problem has come up and seems to have someting to do with Winwarbler

5. Step: Winwarbler terminated
FT8 command sequence and subsequently the CW command sequence are invoked from Commander When I set the radio to Split and click into CW Skimmer -VFO-A is commanded to its previous frequency -VFO-B is commanded to the click-frequency -VFO-B is commanded to PKT-U mode So the problem persists in spite of WW having been terminated

The only way out now is to teminate and restart Commander.

+ Thanks, Wolf!

+ It's clear from your description above that incorrect commands are being sent to the radio while "CW Skimmer to Commander" is running. I do not have the source code to this application. Thus I suggest that you report the above behavior to its author Dick W3OA; I will be happy to assist Dick if he needs help.

<http://dickwilliams.byethost17.com/SkimmerToCommander.html?i=1>

Wolf, DK1FW

Thanks Dave,

I will first try to invoke my command sequences in a different way.
If that does not solve it i will check with Dick.

73 de Wolf