Commander CW Skimmer NaP3

wb6bee

I have been running DXL Commander, CW Skimmer and Nap3 simultaneously using a third party virtual port facility like LPBridge or Win4K3.     Each of those facilities are CPU consumers.    Commander has the facility to connect to the K3s using the Primary Port and CW Skimmer using the Secondary Port.   I have not found a mechanism to bypass the third party facility and connect the K3s, CW skimmer and NaP3 to Commander.

Anyone done something similar to this.     I am reading about the CWSL-TEE to see if that might work, but it is complicated reading

Don
WB6BEE

I have been running DXL Commander, CW Skimmer and Nap3 simultaneously using a third party virtual port facility like LPBridge or Win4K3.     Each of those facilities are CPU consumers.    Commander has the facility to connect to the K3s using the Primary Port and CW Skimmer using the Secondary Port.   I have not found a mechanism to bypass the third party facility and connect the K3s, CW skimmer and NaP3 to Commander.

+ Commander provides a single Secondary CAT port, enabling your primary transceiver to track and be tracked by one panadaptor or skimmer. Extending Commander to provide a second Secondary CAT port is "on the list", but not imminent.

Joe Subich, W4TV

I have not found a mechanism to bypass the third party facility and connect the K3s, CW skimmer and NaP3 to Commander.
Start here:
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SDRTopics>

Unless NaP3 will use Omni-Rig you are probably out of luck. Commander's
Secondary CAT Serial Port can connect to one application. It is the use
of Omni-Rig by SDR applications like HDSDR or SDR Console that permits
running CW Skimmer at the same time as an SDR/Panadapter as shown here:
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/HDSDRCWSkimmerConfiguration>
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SDRConsoleCWSkimmerConfiguration>

You could possibly replace NaP3 with either HDSDR or SDR Console (SDR
Radio).

On 2021-02-16 8:00 AM, wb6bee wrote:
I have been running DXL Commander, CW Skimmer and Nap3 simultaneously using a third party virtual port facility like LPBridge or Win4K3.     Each of those facilities are CPU consumers.    Commander has the facility to connect to the K3s using the Primary Port and CW Skimmer using the Secondary Port.   I have not found a mechanism to bypass the third party facility and connect the K3s, CW skimmer and NaP3 to Commander.
Anyone done something similar to this.     I am reading about the CWSL-TEE to see if that might work, but it is complicated reading
Don
WB6BEE

wb6bee

So far this works.

I downloaded VSPE trial version.   Eterlogic - VSPE: tool for serial ports emulation

The K3 was set for Port 4 at 38400 Baud Rate

In VSPE, I set up a Splitter.    The input was Port 4.  The Output was Port 15.  Baud Rate 38400

I set the Primary Port for Commander to Port 15 38400 BR

I set secondary Port in Commander to Port 11 (Virtual Port connected to Port 12) at 9600 BR.

I connected CW Skimmer to Port 12 at 9600 BR

I connected NaP3 to Port 15 at 38400 BR.

So far, seems to work

Don
WB6BEE

Todd Benson

Another vote for VSPE -
I use it for adding a RTTY FSK connection to N1MM+ -
has worked flawlessly, when needed.

73 and keep on hamming,

Todd, W9YK
Elmhurst, Illinois USA

On Feb 16, 2021, at 10:17 AM, wb6bee <wb6bee@...> wrote:

So far this works.

I downloaded VSPE trial version.   Eterlogic - VSPE: tool for serial ports emulation

The K3 was set for Port 4 at 38400 Baud Rate

In VSPE, I set up a Splitter.    The input was Port 4.  The Output was Port 15.  Baud Rate 38400

I set the Primary Port for Commander to Port 15 38400 BR

I set secondary Port in Commander to Port 11 (Virtual Port connected to Port 12) at 9600 BR.

I connected CW Skimmer to Port 12 at 9600 BR

I connected NaP3 to Port 15 at 38400 BR.

So far, seems to work

Don
WB6BEE
_._,_._,_

I downloaded VSPE trial version. Eterlogic - VSPE: tool for serial ports emulation <http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html>

The K3 was set for Port 4 at 38400 Baud Rate

In VSPE, I set up a Splitter. The input was Port 4. The Output was Port 15. Baud Rate 38400

I set the Primary Port for Commander to Port 15 38400 BR

I set secondary Port in Commander to Port 11 (Virtual Port connected to Port 12) at 9600 BR.

I connected CW Skimmer to Port 12 at 9600 BR

I connected NaP3 to Port 15 at 38400 BR.

+ The use of an unintelligent port splitter like VSPE to enable both Commander and another transceiver control application to simultaneously issue commands to a transceiver is not supported because it is unreliable. For example:

1. transceiver control app #1: select VFO A

2. transceiver control app #2: select VFO B

3. transceiver control app #1: report current VFO frequency

4. transceiver: reports VFO B's frequency, which transceiver control app#1 misinterprets as VFO A's frequency.

+ Please do not submit problem reports here unless you have first verified that the problem exists with the port splitter removed.

+ Using an unintelligent port splitter to that one transceiver control app can send commands to a transceiver and another transceiver control (or digital mode) application can manipulate the DTR or RTS signals is not problematic, nor is allowing two different transceiver control applications to monitor the same transceiver's responses. It is the simultaneous sending of commands that is fundamentally unreliable.

+ An intelligent port splitter, such as Commander's Secondary CAT port and the products developed by Tom VA2FSQ, provides each transceiver control application with a virtual transceiver that is kept in sync with the physical transceiver.

wb6bee

Win4K3 and LPBridge both consume approaching 5% of the CPU capacity.      That is a significant amount if their only function is to provide an intelligent splitter.  VSPE's consumption is below 0.5%.  CW skimmer and NaP3 are heavy consumers, as is Spot Collector (at times).  Whether this experimental configuration becomes permanent will depend on functionality (and problems) in use.   However, the reduced CPU consumption allows me to run all the various apps, including spot collector and stay at or below 20% most of the time.

When the Second "Secondary Port" climbs to the top of the implementation ladder, I will certainly revert to it.  My goal is to eliminate as many third party programs as I can.

Win4K3 and LPBridge both consume approaching 5% of the CPU capacity.

+ LPBridge isn't reliable. My first response to any problem report in which LPBridge is present is to suggest removing it and then verifying that the problematic behavior remains.

That is a significant amount if their only function is to provide an intelligent splitter. VSPE's consumption is below 0.5%. CW skimmer and NaP3 are heavy consumers, as is Spot Collector (at times). Whether this experimental configuration becomes permanent will depend on functionality (and problems) in use. However, the reduced CPU consumption allows me to run all the various apps, including spot collector and stay at or below 20% most of the time.

+ Reducing CPU consumption by taking action that reduces reliability and risks equipment damage is a poor tradeoff, in my opinion. Some amplifiers react poorly when directed to transmit on an unexpected frequency.