Topics

Commander Connection Problem on 40Meters

Robyn Walters

Forgive me if this is an old, already solved problem, but this 82 yo YL needs some help..

Commander works fine on 30 meters and above, but when I shift to 40 meters, it loses CAT synch with my Yaesu FT3000's sound card no matter the mode: FT8 gives a sound card error message and other modes don't respond to frequency changes. I am running the latest update.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 40 meters is increasingly important.

Mahalo nui

Robyn
NH7U

Forgive me if this is an old, already solved problem, but this 82 yo YL needs some help..

Commander works fine on 30 meters and above, but when I shift to 40 meters, it loses CAT synch with my Yaesu FT3000's sound card no matter the mode: FT8 gives a sound card error message and other modes don't respond to frequency changes. I am running the latest update.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 40 meters is increasingly important.

+ That sounds like an RFI problem, Robyn. If you reduce the RF power output to 0, do the errors still occur?

Robyn Walters

I can reduce power to 5 watts, and the problem remains on 40M. Within a few dididahs, the radio would no longer follow Commander. Commander would follow any FT8 frequency change and vice versa, but the radio was no longer responded to the computer.

Robyn
NH7U

I can reduce power to 5 watts, and the problem remains on 40M. Within a few dididahs, the radio would no longer follow Commander. Commander would follow any FT8 frequency change and vice versa, but the radio was no longer responded to the computer.

+ What transceiver are you using?

+ What happens if you reduce the power output to 0?

Robyn Walters

Yaesu FT3000 only lets you reduce the power to 5 watts.

Robyn
NH7U

Dave AA6YQ

Yaesu FT3000 only lets you reduce the power to 5 watts.

+ OK. Do you have a "dummy load" to which you can connect your FT-3000?

Robyn Walters

There was no 40M problem on the dummy load at any power.

I have a rats nest of RG8 under the cabinet in my 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 foot shack because I misjudged the distance to the antennas on the condo roof. I'll shorten those runs and hopefully get rid of the rfi problem that is otherwise unseen.

Many thanks for the tip.

Robyn  NH7U