Commander comport error

k6xt

Howdy group
On every startup Commander is twice displaying an error window saying the comport for my xcvr is invalid.

Device manager shows the comport, an Edgeport-4 four port device, all 4 ports are listed. Other devices connected to different Edgeport ports act normally.

Pressing Commander - Config - Reset Radios immediately connects Commander to the radio via the correct port 4 that it could not find a moment ago.

This failure is relatively recent, maybe the past year and I've just ignored it til now. Hoping someone can help.

I can email an error log file showing the failures and also the Reset Radios result.

Thanks Art K6XT

On every startup Commander is twice displaying an error window saying the comport for my xcvr is invalid.

+ That error report comes from Windows; Commander is just relaying it.

Device manager shows the comport, an Edgeport-4 four port device, all 4 ports are listed. Other devices connected to different Edgeport ports act normally.

Pressing Commander - Config - Reset Radios immediately connects Commander to the radio via the correct port 4 that it could not find a moment ago.

This failure is relatively recent, maybe the past year and I've just ignored it til now. Hoping someone can help.

+ Edgeport Technical Support is the most likely source of help. At minimum, be sure you're running the most recent Edgeport device driver.

I can email an error log file showing the failures and also the Reset Radios result.

+ The errorlog would contain no more information than what you've reported above: Commander asks to open the serial port, and Windows refuses to do so.

k6xt

Couldn't say if I 'fixed' anything however this problem has been resolved. Hope it stays that way.

I uninstalled Commander and deleted its subdirectory. I did not clean Commander out of the registry.

After a fresh installation Commander now recognizes the rig like it should. No error messages. I did not do anything else to achieve this beyond yet another restart. Restarts had not helped prior to Commander's reinstall.

73 Art

Couldn't say if I 'fixed' anything however this problem has been resolved. Hope it stays that way.

I uninstalled Commander and deleted its subdirectory. I did not clean Commander out of the registry.

After a fresh installation Commander now recognizes the rig like it should. No error messages. I did not do anything else to achieve this beyond yet another restart. Restarts had not helped prior to Commander's reinstall.

+ The only technical explanation I can offer is that Windows secretly maintains a "users I'd like to torture" list that evidently gets cleared when you uninstall the application it's using to torture you.

+ A less invasive experiment that you could have performed would have been to connect your transceiver directly to a USB port, rather than to the Edgeport USB bridge. I suspect that it would have worked correctly.