Commander and Flex not working

WA8Y Steven

I had this problem last month but it started working.

Its not working again.  Commander is not reading Slice A frequency, however DX Commander Memory Banks do send control Slice A frequency.

General Tab Radio SDR-6000.  Radio Selection is filled in with S.N. , IP address of Flex 6600, IP Port is 5002 and I have a SmartCAT module for a TCP: Port 5002 for Slice A and a UDP SmartCAT module for Port: 12060 (for Spots).

Port Tab reverts to a COM Port above any that I have made (12).  Secondary CAT Serial Port does nothing.

I don't understand how it works?  How should Net Serv button be set up?  Currently, UDP Network Service is Enabled; New Xcvr Delay is 5, UDP #1 active and IP Address is My PC that is running DX Commander, Port 12060.

Steven WA8Y

Dave AA6YQ

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 08:05 AM, WA8Y Steven wrote:
I had this problem last month but it started working.

Its not working again.
+ Exactly when did "it" stop working again? What changes did you make to your hardware or software at that time?

Commander is not reading Slice A frequency, however DX Commander Memory Banks do send control Slice A frequency.

General Tab Radio SDR-6000.  Radio Selection is filled in with S.N. , IP address of Flex 6600, IP Port is 5002 and I have a SmartCAT module for a TCP: Port 5002 for Slice A and a UDP SmartCAT module for Port: 12060 (for Spots).

+ Commander only utilizes SmartSDRCat with a serial port.l
Port Tab reverts to a COM Port above any that I have made (12).  Secondary CAT Serial Port does nothing.

I don't understand how it works?  How should Net Serv button be set up?  Currently, UDP Network Service is Enabled; New Xcvr Delay is 5, UDP #1 active and IP Address is My PC that is running DX Commander, Port 12060.

+ The NetServ functionality is not used for communication with Flex Signature radios.

dxradio33

Stephen, this is very confusing.  Is your radio (6600) on the same network as your pc running Commander?  If so, on the General tab you should only have SDR-6600 selected with 100ms Command interval and 1 in your scan dwell.  Under radio selection only the serial number of the Flex and the IP address.   You need nothing in the IP port window.  Leave it blank

Now if you are using Commander to access a remote 6600 then in the Multi-Radio tab you need to have FlexCat set up to access the remote 6600 with interrogate checked and the interval set to 100 and enable checked.

I had this problem last month but it started working.

Its not working again.  Commander is not reading Slice A frequency, however DX Commander Memory Banks do send control Slice A frequency.

General Tab Radio SDR-6000.  Radio Selection is filled in with S.N. , IP address of Flex 6600, IP Port is 5002 and I have a SmartCAT module for a TCP: Port 5002 for Slice A and a UDP SmartCAT module for Port: 12060 (for Spots).

Port Tab reverts to a COM Port above any that I have made (12).  Secondary CAT Serial Port does nothing.

I don't understand how it works?  How should Net Serv button be set up?  Currently, UDP Network Service is Enabled; New Xcvr Delay is 5, UDP #1 active and IP Address is My PC that is running DX Commander, Port 12060.

Steven WA8Y

WA8Y Steven

I'm really not sure when or why it started, I just need to fix it.  I have been experiencing a loss of "Network Connection" with the Flex 6600 since January.  It is caused by something in the shack, but I don't know if its the Flex 6600 or something else. When using N1MM+ logger all features work but the Flex crashes intermittently while in RX or TX.

But that is not the reason DX Commander is broken.

I checked Multi-Radio, The IP address was not the Flex ip address so I changed it to the Flex but no joy.  General tab/Radio Selection is correct and Reset did not fix it?

Steven WA8Y

WA8Y Steven

Yes, I have SDR-6600 as Model, Command interval 50, Scan dwell 1, S.N. and IP address of Flex 6600 on my LAN.

There must be something different about how DX Commander sends frequency commands to the Flex versus how DX Commander receives Frequency info from the Flex?  The Memory Banks work. but moving Slice A in SmartSDR does not register in DX Commander.  Oh, that doesn't work either, it did earlier.  Oh, Commander can send Frequency commands over Secondary CAT Serial Port.  I just Enabled it and radio button "Follow & Lead primary" is checked.  It also works with radio button "Follow primary" checked.

Again, Memory Banks frequency control is one-way.  Moving Slice A frequency/mode is not read by Commander.
Steven WA8Y

WA8Y Steven

When DX Commander is opened, SmartCAT module for VFO A (slice A and VFO B slice B modules ) indicate, Process: CI-V Commander versus Process: (None) when DX Commander is closed.

Steven WA8Y

I'm really not sure when or why it started, I just need to fix it.  I have been experiencing a loss of "Network Connection" with the Flex 6600 since January.  It is caused by something in the shack, but I don't know if its the Flex 6600 or something else. When using N1MM+ logger all features work but the Flex crashes intermittently while in RX or TX.
+ If the network connection is unreliable, all bets are off; that's how Commander interoperates with SmartSDR. Let me know if your transceiver control issues persist after the network unreliability has been corrected.

+ AA6YQ commnents below
Yes, I have SDR-6600 as Model, Command interval 50, Scan dwell 1, S.N. and IP address of Flex 6600 on my LAN.

There must be something different about how DX Commander sends frequency commands to the Flex versus how DX Commander receives Frequency info from the Flex?  The Memory Banks work. but moving Slice A in SmartSDR does not register in DX Commander.  Oh, that doesn't work either, it did earlier.  Oh, Commander can send Frequency commands over Secondary CAT Serial Port.  I just Enabled it and radio button "Follow & Lead primary" is checked.  It also works with radio button "Follow primary" checked.

Again, Memory Banks frequency control is one-way.  Moving Slice A frequency/mode is not read by Commander.

+ Let me know after you've found and fixed the network reliability problem reported in your last post.

WA8Y Steven

Does it look like I have DX Commander configured correctly?

I haven't had a network issue in a couple days, but I think it might be related to a network overload because as I make Qs in the CWops mini test (CWT) I've noticed bandwidth bars goes from 5 green to 3 yellow to 1 dot, Blink! CRASH!) when my Q rate exceed 100/per hour.  Well it actually happens when the system is at idle (Flex in RX mode), I come into the shack to find 4 to 10 messages about a "Network Connection lost".

I don't think my DX Commander trouble is common to my Flex Network Connection troubles because I can connection to N1MM+ and it uses the same Flex SmartCAT modules to read and control Freq./mode (TCP), Winkeyer, Spots (UDP).

Steven WA8Y

dxradio33

Why are you using SmartCat?

[...]

+ Until you have identified and corrected your networking problem, investigating the other misbehavior you have reported would be a wild goose chase. The fact that another application does not exhibit this misbehavior is irrelevant.

I had this problem last month but it started working.

Its not working again.  Commander is not reading Slice A frequency, however DX Commander Memory Banks do send control Slice A frequency.

General Tab Radio SDR-6000.  Radio Selection is filled in with S.N. , IP address of Flex 6600, IP Port is 5002 and I have a SmartCAT module for a TCP: Port 5002 for Slice A and a UDP SmartCAT module for Port: 12060 (for Spots).

Port Tab reverts to a COM Port above any that I have made (12).  Secondary CAT Serial Port does nothing.

I don't understand how it works?  How should Net Serv button be set up?  Currently, UDP Network Service is Enabled; New Xcvr Delay is 5, UDP #1 active and IP Address is My PC that is running DX Commander, Port 12060.

+ I just noticed the mention of SmartCAT above, which I assume is a reference to "SmartSDR CAT".

+ There are two ways for Commander to interact with a Flex Signature radio:

1. (preferred) via a network connection, as described in step 3 of

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FlexSignature

2. via a serial port and SmartSDR CAT, as described in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FlexSignatureFlexCAT

The settings in Commander's "Network Service" window are not relevant to interoperation between Commander and a Flex Signature radio.

WA8Y Steven

DX Lab Suite does not have an API like N3FJP loggers.  SmartCAT modules are used to send data out UDP, TCP and even WinKeyer.

Steven WA8Y

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments
DX Lab Suite does not have an API like N3FJP loggers.  SmartCAT modules are used to send data out UDP, TCP and even WinKeyer.

+ That's false. DXLab has for many years supported interaction with Flex Signature radios via their ethernet API:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FlexSignature

+ Support for "SmartSDR CAT" was only added a few months ago to enable remote operation, since Flex is unable to send me documentation for SmartLink.

WA8Y Steven

Thanks Dave,
Some where along the line Commander Configuration/General Tab/Radio panel/Radio Selection panel/ IP Port was 5002 (my Flex SmartSDR CAT TCP module port 5002 for Slice A.

Your dxlabwiki/FlexSignature link (preferred) says to use port 4992.  I entered 4992 for the IP Port, click the Reset button and it is working.

Steve WA8Y

dxradio33

That is incorrect.  DXL communicates with Flex radios via the Flex API.  As far as I know it always has.  In addition, you keep referring to using SmartCAT.  This is totally unnecessary as your Flex radio resides on your local area network.  SmartCAT was designed to be used controlling REMOTE Flex radios on distant networks  with a limited set of functionality and not meant to replace the native API.