Commander 15.4.4 is available

Dave AA6YQ

If you are using Window Defender Antivirus (Windows 10), update it to its latest malware definition in

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions

before installing or upgrading to Commander 15.4.4

This release

- while controlling a K4 with "Communicate via TCP" enabled, if the TCP link state is "peer is closing", closes the TCP connection
to the radio (tnx to Kevin K6TD and Gordon N1MGO)

- supports the undocumented FT-757GXII meter reading CAT command (tnx to Hans PA3AZA)

- When controlling a Flex Signature radio, provides "Slice X => VFO A" and "Restore VFO A" buttons beneath the Main window's Mode
panel (Tnx to Mike W0MU and Joe K8FC)

--- clicking the "Slice X => VFO A" button saves the state of VFO A, and copies the state of the active (in SmartSDR) slice to VFO

--- clicking the "Restore VFO A" button restores the last saved state of VFO A

- provides a "New Xcvr Delay" setting in the "UDP Network Service" panel on Commander's "Network Service window (tnx to Larry K8UT
and Ron KK1L)

- support the THETIS panadaptor as a radio model, with interconnection via serial port or TCP (tnx to Scott WU2O)

- updates the ChangingFrequency.htm, CommandSequences.htm, Configuration.htm, index.htm, NetworkServe.htm, and UsingMemories.htm
documentation files

Notes

1. Thanks to Scott WU2O for the loan of an Apache Anan 100D so that I could test Thetis support

2. Update your firewall and anti-malware applications to consider this new version of Commander to be "safe"

- 0 of 65 antivirus scanners accessible via Virus Total detected malware <https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload>

- 0 of 15 antivirus scanners accessible via Jotti detected malware <https://virusscan.jotti.org/>

- submitted for online analysis by Microsoft Windows Defender: no malware detected

3. If this upgrade doesn't work correctly, see the "After an Upgrade" section of
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationStoppedWorking

Commander 15.4.4 is available via the DXLab Launcher and via

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/download.htm

w-u-2-o

Thanks, Dave! Really looking forward to the new TCP/IP connectivity option for Thetis!

73,

Scott/w-u-2-o

Joe

Dave:

Thanks for taking a stab at the change for Flex users, but...

Regarding the new button for Flex users, maybe I am missing your intent regarding how this feature can be used.

Scenario 1: I have three panadapters open, with slices A, B, and C active, respectively.  I want to work split in the first panadapter.  Either I hit Split or I just add a receiver (+RX) which opens slice D 1 Khz above slice A.  If I hit the Slice D => VFO A button, Commander changes the frequency of slice A to that of slice D.  That is clearly not what I want.

Scenario 2: I have multiple panadapter open each with a slice receiver.  Say I am using slice C for cw while the rest are monitoring FT8/4 bands.  If I make C active in anticipation of making a simplex cw contact, I get the option of using the Slice x => VFO A button.  If I click that, Commander changes the frequency of slice A!  Not what I want.

In both cases all I want is for Commander to track the slice selected, not change any slice frequency.  This is because I want Commander and the Capture pane to report the proper xmit/rec frequencies when I log the contact.

Maybe I am missing something??

Joe/WQ6Q

[...]

+ Commander utilizes a Flex Signature radio's slices A and B to implement VFOs A and B. As with all radios that support split frequency operation, Commander uses VFO A for listening to a split frequency DX station, and VFO B for transmitting in that station's listening range.

+ During discussions in this forum, it was pointed out that Flex users employ slices other than A and B to monitor or hunt for DX. To facilitate that practice, I added functions that make it easy to log a QSO with a station being copied by a slice other than A or B by copying that slice's state to VFO A. Commander 15.4.4 does not make it possible to directly log QSOs from slices other than A and B; given the new capabilities added, this is not necessary.

+ In your "scenario 1" above, if slice A is active in a panadapter, then to work split, click one of the buttons above Commander's "Alt VFO" panel to set configure VFO B for split operation an the desired offset.

+ In your "scenario 2" above, clicking the "Slice C => VFO A" button made it possible for you to make the CW QSOs and log it using VFO A.

+ Re "In both cases all I want is for Commander to track the slice selected, not change any slice frequency", given that you can now copy any slice's state (frequency, mode, passband, antenna selection)  to VFO A with one mouse click and then log the QSO, I am not planning to make the relatively large effort that would be required to extend Commander as you wish; there are many enhancements that would generate more value for a larger fraction of the DXLab user community.

Joe

The new button is useful in that it saves manually having to change band/freq/mode in the A slice.  I was just hoping for a more general solution.  Maybe someday that change will rise to the top of the list!

thanks,

Joe/WQ6Q

The new button is useful in that it saves manually having to change band/freq/mode in the A slice.  I was just hoping for a more general solution.  Maybe someday that change will rise to the top of the list!

+ A developmentally expensive "general solution" that would only benefit the users of one radio family - when users of that family are jumping ship due to long uncorrected defects in SmartSDR?