Command-Generating Slider questions

Norm - KC1BMD

This is a iCOM command-generating slider from the Files section for RF Power control:

<LowerBound>0
<UpperBound>255
<SmallStep>1
<BigStep>16
<Caption>RF Pwr <value 100> w
<Function>Adjust RF Power
<Command>FEFE<CIV>E0140A<D4>FD
<Value>255
<InitializeRadio>1

In the Commander documentation under <Function> it says:
• the string <value> will be replace by the slider's current numeric value

1. I don't see any string <value> used with <Function> above. Is there just no value used?

2. The slider command shows <Value>255. Where is this described in the doc? What is the purpose (e.g. initial value setting)? It seems the last setting is saved from the last Commander session and when I launch Commander again, that saved setting returns. I was thinking maybe when Commander was launched this would be the initial/starting value of the slider.

3. Initialize Radio says: "... command is sent to the radio on startup". Is that startup of Commander or startup of the radio (with commander running)?

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

This is a iCOM command-generating slider from the Files section for RF Power control:

<LowerBound>0
<UpperBound>255
<SmallStep>1
<BigStep>16
<Caption>RF Pwr <value 100> w
<Function>Adjust RF Power
<Command>FEFE<CIV>E0140A<D4>FD
<Value>255
<InitializeRadio>1

In the Commander documentation under <Function> it says:

• the string <value> will be replace by the slider's current numeric value

1. I don't see any string <value> used with <Function> above. Is there just no value used?

+ In your example above, <value> is used in the Caption. It is not used in the Function.

2. The slider command shows <Value>255.

+ In your example above, the Command is FEFE<CIV>E0140A<D4>FD

+ You must mean something else; please explain.

Where is this described in the doc?

+ I'll do so after you explain what it is you're asking about. To my knowledge, there is nothing involved with user-defined sliders that isn't described in the "Command-generating Sliders" section in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/Help/CommandSequences.htm#Command-generating%20Sliders

What is the purpose (e.g. initial value setting)?

+ What is the purpose of what?

+ The purpose of the <value> substitution command is to include the (optionally scaled) value of the slider in the slider's label, or in its explanatory popup.

It seems the last setting is saved from the last Commander session and when I launch Commander again, that saved setting returns. I was thinking maybe when Commander was launched this would be the initial/starting value of the slider.

+ If a slider's "Initialize Radio" box is checked, then when Commander starts up, or when you switch from one primary transceiver to another, the slider's generated Command will be sent to the radio.

3. Initialize Radio says: "... command is sent to the radio on startup". Is that startup of Commander or startup of the radio (with commander running)?

+ Startup of Commander. If the primary radio isn't running, when Commander starts, then the slider-generated command will not be executed by the radio. If you expect Commander to initialize your radio when Commander starts up, your radio should be running when Commander starts up.

Norm - KC1BMD

No doubt I am confused. Maybe this will help clarify things for me.

P. 45 of the Commander PDF documentation describes the slider configuration.
Every <parameter> in the slider configuration above is explained in the doc, except this: <Value>255

Q:
What is the purpose of <Value> on this line? (ref: 2nd to last line in the slider sequence I copied above).

Minor point: I see that <Caption> in the actual slider config and <Label> in the doc appear to be referring to the same parameter. It might be more clear if only one is used (if they are indeed the same).

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

No doubt I am confused. Maybe this will help clarify things for me.

P. 45 of the Commander PDF documentation describes the slider configuration.
Every <parameter> in the slider configuration above is explained in the doc, except this: <Value>255

Q: What is the purpose of <Value> on this line? (ref: 2nd to last line in the slider sequence I copied above).

+ When you click the Save button on a "User Slider Configuration" window, the slider's parameters are saved to a text file that can later be restored by clicking the window's Load button. The line

<Value>255

+ means "at the time this text file was created, the slider's value was 255".

Minor point: I see that <Caption> in the actual slider config and <Label> in the doc appear to be referring to the same parameter. It might be more clear if only one is used (if they are indeed the same).

+ The contents of the "slider definition file" created when you click the above-mentioned Save button are not documented because such files are not meant to be read or edited by users. The purpose of these files is to facilitate moving functionality from one slider to another, and to enable sharing among users. Sliders should be constructed and edited using the "User Slider Configuration" window and the documentation provided on page 45 of current Commander.PDF file and here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/Help/CommandSequences.htm#Command-generating%20Sliders

Norm - KC1BMD

Dave, thanks for setting me straight on this. I recently requested help about a "sequence". Your suggestion to pattern it using an existing sequence in the Files section worked great. I copied an existing sequence .txt file, edited it in Notepad and then copied it to the Commander appropriate folder and loaded it. It worked just as expected.

So I thought I would do the same thing with the command-generating slider. I wasn't quite sure how it was working when I saw the <Value> parameter until I changed it and loaded it and noticed that it set the slider to that value upon launching the slider. Now I notice the line near the bottom of your documentation that says: "When clicked, the Save button saves the slider definition to a file you specify; the slider definition includes the slider's current value. The Load button loads the slider definition from a file you specify and sets the slider to the value saved in the file.". So that explains what <Value> does.

My takeaway from this: When creating Command-Generating Sliders one should use the "User Slider Configuration" window and not edit the generated .txt file directly.

Q: Is there a way to pre-set a slider to the same specific position each time Commander is launched (as an alternative to loading the saved value from the previous Commander session)?

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Dave, thanks for setting me straight on this. I recently requested help about a "sequence". Your suggestion to pattern it using an existing sequence in the Files section worked great. I copied an existing sequence .txt file, edited it in Notepad and then copied it to the Commander appropriate folder and loaded it. It worked just as expected.

+ I recommend editing Command Sequences in Commander's "User-defined Command Sequence" window, not in a text editor.

So I thought I would do the same thing with the command-generating slider. I wasn't quite sure how it was working when I saw the <Value> parameter until I changed it and loaded it and noticed that it set the slider to that value upon launching the slider. Now I notice the line near the bottom of your documentation that says: "When clicked, the Save button saves the slider definition to a file you specify; the slider definition includes the slider's current value. The Load button loads the slider definition from a file you specify and sets the slider to the value saved in the file.". So that explains what <Value> does.

+ I explained this in my previous response:

https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/199706

My takeaway from this: When creating Command-Generating Sliders one should use the "User Slider Configuration" window and not edit the generated .txt file directly.

+ Exactly.

Q: Is there a way to pre-set a slider to the same specific position each time Commander is launched (as an alternative to loading the saved value from the previous Commander session)?

+ There isn't.