China QSO Plot Issue

Craig

I worked BG5IQX in China this afternoon and the Google Earth and DX Atlas latitude / longitude plotting of this station was inaccurate, showing about 300 miles from my SC QTH.  I am forwarding the QRZ info on this station so that you can assess in relationship to the DXCC database.  Thank you Dave.

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I worked BG5IQX in China this afternoon and the Google Earth and DX Atlas latitude / longitude plotting of this station was inaccurate, showing about 300 miles from my SC QTH. I am forwarding the QRZ info on this station so that you can assess in relationship to the DXCC database.

+ Entering BG5IQX in DXView's Main window and striking the Enter key does not populate the Main window's Latitude and Longitude boxes, and thus does not depict a location on whichever world map is selected. That's because the current DXCC Database does not specify a location for Jiangxi province.

+ The coordinates of its capital Nanchang look reasonable for adding to the next version of the DXCC database:

28 N, 116 E

+ You can immediately update your DXCC database if you wish; instructions are here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/Help/DXCC.htm

+ If DXKeeper or SpotCollector are running, terminate them.

+ There are two entries to update:

1. the entry whose "Prefix List" is

B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5I,B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5J,B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5K,B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5L

and

2. the entry whose "Prefix List" is

B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5M,B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5N,B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5O,B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5P

+ The "Sort" fields of these two entries are 25 and 26 respectively

+ In each of the above two entries, specify a latitude of 28 and a longitude of 116 (do not include the N and E symbols for North and East), and then click the Save button

+ Then check the "Database Version" panel's "Flag new as modified" box, and click the reTable button.

Dave, AA6YQ

Craig

Thank you Dave for your prompt response, explanation and options.  For now, I look forward to the next database release.

73, Craig

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 1:58 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I worked BG5IQX in China this afternoon and the Google Earth and DX Atlas latitude / longitude plotting of this station was inaccurate, showing about 300 miles from my SC QTH.  I am forwarding the QRZ info on this station so that you can assess in relationship to the DXCC database. 

+ Entering BG5IQX in DXView's Main window and striking the Enter key does not populate the Main window's Latitude and Longitude boxes, and thus does not depict a location on whichever world map is selected. That's because the current DXCC Database does not specify a location for Jiangxi province.

+ The coordinates of its capital Nanchang look reasonable for adding to the next version of the DXCC database:

28 N, 116 E

+ You can immediately update your DXCC database if you wish; instructions are here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/Help/DXCC.htm

+ If DXKeeper or SpotCollector are running, terminate them.

+ There are two entries to update:

1. the entry whose "Prefix List" is

B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5I,B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5J,B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5K,B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5L

and

2. the entry whose "Prefix List" is

B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5M,B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5N,B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5O,B[A-L;R-T;Y-Z]5P

+ The "Sort" fields of these two entries are 25 and 26 respectively

+ In each of the above two entries, specify a latitude of 28 and a longitude of 116 (do not include the N and E symbols for North and East), and then click the Save button

+ Then check the "Database Version" panel's "Flag new as modified" box, and click the reTable button.

Dave, AA6YQ

Bob KM4RL

I worked them yesterday on 40m FT8 and they were sending grid EM73 in their CQ message.
Grid EM73 is in nw Georgia, USA.

Here is an excerpt from my ALL.TXT file.

220122_130645     7.074 Rx FT8    -18  0.3 2650 CQ BG5IQX EM73

I checked their home grid in QRZ and it's OL78wq
I believe the signal was from NA because I watched them spotted on hamspots.net for a few hours and all spots were from NA.
Very strange,

Bob KM4RL

Craig

Hey Bob - thanks for posting... that has to be one of the strangest things... the grid recorded in my log shows EM73 as you noted, but quite different from the QRZ reference.  I sent a LOTW confirmation but have nothing in return as yet...  that might very well be another key to proving your point.  Thanks Bob.

73, Craig

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 12:57 PM Bob KM4RL <km4rl@...> wrote:
I worked them yesterday on 40m FT8 and they were sending grid EM73 in their CQ message.

I believe the signal was from NA because I watched them spotted on hamspots.net for a few hours and all spots were from NA.
Very strange,

Bob KM4RL

ve3ki

If all the spots were from NA and they were sending grid EM73, that suggests that they may have been remotely operating a station actually located in the US. Of course, that would not count as China for DXCC. Furthermore, if this was indeed the case, using a Chinese callsign to identify the station would be a violation of FCC rules, which require all stations transmitting from a location in the US or its dependencies to use a callsign authorized under FCC rules (part 97.119, and if the operator is licensed outside the US, part 97.107 applies as well).

Rich VE3KI / AC1FE

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 12:57 PM, Bob KM4RL wrote:

Very strange,

Bob KM4RL