Topics

Card submission and digital modes

Jim Miller, AB3CV

Just spoke to DXCC desk about a mode mismatch issue. I submitted a cards for 40m FT8 and 160m FT8 and they were entered as RTTY (DATA) rather than FT8 (DATA). I asked if this could be changed and was told that the entry is the result of the drop downs presented of only CW, RTTY and PHONE on their entry system.

The result is that I got a mismatch when downloading credits and my tallies for Verified on those two bands were each short one QSL. Took a while to find it.

Since ARRL can't make the mode changes I can just edit the entry in DXK to a status of V.

Are there any other side effects from doing so? I don't chase specific digital modes. I do pursue (leisurely) CW modes. Otherwise Mixed is fine for me.

Thanks

Jim ab3cv

Jim Miller, AB3CV

A quick review of 6M credits shows a proper mode when submitted by LOTW. Curious inconsistency....

Jim ab3cv

Joe Subich, W4TV

The DXCC program only recognizes a single "digital" mode which includes
RTTY, PSKnn, JTnn, FTn, etc. Therefor, the DXCC software (which was
developed before LotW) shows only CW, Phone, DIGITAL.

The WAS program provides endorsements for nearly every digital mode so
LotW, which was designed to support *both* DXCC and WAS, provides a way
to enter those digital modes.

It is not so much an inconsistency as a difference in the needs and
purpose of each program. Perhaps it can be considered a "technical
deficit" in that ARRL do not use a common database for all award
programs but if one looks at "Online DXCC" - that program will only
accept CW, Digital, Phone, Satellite for (manual) mode entry.

On 2019-11-15 8:26 AM, Jim Miller, AB3CV wrote:
A quick review of 6M credits shows a proper mode when submitted by LOTW. Curious inconsistency....
Jim ab3cv

Jim Miller, AB3CV

I found other QSOs submitted and confirmed by card for FT8 that did properly set the V in DXK even though the mode mismatched. Not sure why it didn't happen for these two however.

I guess I'll just edit these in my log and make sure to watch for inconsistencies in the future.

jim ab3cv

Jim Miller, AB3CV

Edited

Hi Joe

I do my entry via the ADIF produced by DXK so that's why FT8 gets set in my card submission.

EDIT: Just looked at the one I'm doing now and FT8 isn't mentioned. So DIGITAL is the mode produced even with an ADI import. I was wrong. Still not sure why DXK didn't pick these up as V on a page scrape download.

Thanks

Jim ab3cv

Joe Subich, W4TV

Still not sure why DXK didn't pick these up as V on a page scrape download.
DXKeeper, to the best of my recollection, will not promote a *CARD*
S to V on the basis of "page scraping" (Check Progress -> DXCC Compare).
The only time DXKeeper will promote card S to V is Submission -> Verify
Submission and there is no comparison done - it is simply change all
QSL_RCVD='S' to QSL_RCVD='V'.

On 2019-11-15 8:58 AM, Jim Miller, AB3CV wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]
Hi Joe
I do my entry via the ADIF produced by DXK so that's why FT8 gets set in my card submission.
EDIT: Just looked at the one I'm doing now and FT8 isn't mentioned. So DIGITAL is the mode produced even with an ADI import. I was wrong. Still not sure why DXK didn't pick these up as V on a page scrape download.
Thanks
Jim ab3cv

DXKeeper, to the best of my recollection, will not promote a *CARD*
S to V on the basis of "page scraping" (Check Progress -> DXCC Compare).

+ DXKeeper's "DXCC Compare" function performs no updating of logged QSOs; it only reports discrepancies between logged QSOs and your ARRL DXCC record.

The only time DXKeeper will promote card S to V is Submission -> Verify Submission and there is no comparison done - it is simply change all QSL_RCVD='S' to QSL_RCVD='V'.

+ That's not correct: DXKeeper's "DXCC Credit Manager" will update logged QSOs to reflect DXCC credit granted to both QSL cards and LoTW confirmations.