Topics

Capture Window question

w3qt_mike

Hi Dave,

I worked a station today for the second time in three years.  Three years ago his QTH was in IL.  Today his QTH is in NC.  When I entered his call into the Capture Window his old logged QTH information filled in instead of his current location information from QRZ.  I wouldn’t have noticed the discrepancy except when he sent me his QTH I noticed that it didn’t match the Capture Window.  Am I missing a config setting to allow for the latest QTH information from QRZ to populate the Capture Window, or should I expect DXK to use the last logged QSO information under these circumstances?  Thanks.

73,

Mike, W3QT

David Bunte

Mike -

If I am wrong, I am sure someone else will give a better answer, but I believe that in the case you described, you need to enter NC as his QTH for your most recent QSO... then it will come up the next time you work him. Otherwise DXK has no way to know that he changed QTHs.

73 de Dave - K9FN

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 6:36 PM w3qt_mike <w3qt@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,

I worked a station today for the second time in three years.  Three years ago his QTH was in IL.  Today his QTH is in NC.  When I entered his call into the Capture Window his old logged QTH information filled in instead of his current location information from QRZ.  I wouldn’t have noticed the discrepancy except when he sent me his QTH I noticed that it didn’t match the Capture Window.  Am I missing a config setting to allow for the latest QTH information from QRZ to populate the Capture Window, or should I expect DXK to use the last logged QSO information under these circumstances?  Thanks.

73,

Mike, W3QT

w3qt_mike

Dave,

Thanks for your thoughts.  If DXK via Capture Window queries QRZ (XML subscription) for information on each QSO, as it does to fill in the initial QSO information, wouldn’t DXK then automatically retrieve updated info for subsequent QSOs?  It sounds like you’re suggesting that DXK queries its existing log and if it finds the call previously logged it doesn’t query QRZ for the possibility of updated information.  That would assume a QTH is fixed and never changes or calls aren’t reassigned for whatever reason.  That’s where I’m seeking clarification.  Either I missed a setting or this is the way the system works.  I did make the manual changes and am wondering if that’s what’s needed under similar circumstances in the future – just want to keep things as accurate as possible.

73,

Mike, W3QT

[...]

+ As described in this article, DXKeeper gives priority to location information from a previously logged QSO over location information from a callbook lookup:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/DetermineStationLocation>

w3qt_mike

Dave, thanks for the reply.  I guess some of my confusion/questions arose from some of the information presented in DXLabwiki.  Here’s where I was confused:

From “Determining a Station’s Location”:

“DXKeeper can be configured to query a local or online callbook to obtain the location information last posted there by whoever manages the entry for a callsign, typically, its owner.”

In this case the information on QRZ was updated with the new QTH information, so when I typed the callsign into the Capture window I had expected a new lookup.

From “Using Callbooks”:

“Automatically use callbook data to initialize new QSOs: if you enable this option, DXKeeper will automatically perform a Callbook lookup when you type a callsign into the Capture window or the Main window's Log QSOs tab and strike the Enter or Tab keys; information from the Callbook will be used to fill in missing items, but will not replace items you've already specified.”

I expected a new lookup because this was a new QSO, even though it was with a previously worked station.  I’ll be more aware in the future and check before logging.  Thanks again.

73,

Mike, W3QT

[...]

g4wjs

Hi Mike,

I think the intent of the documentation is to say that empty fields are initialized. Perhaps it should say prior QSO information is first carried forward before any empty fields are populated from an automatic callbook lookup.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 23/11/2020 14:45, w3qt_mike wrote:

Dave, thanks for the reply.  I guess some of my confusion/questions arose from some of the information presented in DXLabwiki.  Here’s where I was confused:

From “Determining a Station’s Location”:

“DXKeeper can be configured to query a local or online callbook to obtain the location information last posted there by whoever manages the entry for a callsign, typically, its owner.”

In this case the information on QRZ was updated with the new QTH information, so when I typed the callsign into the Capture window I had expected a new lookup.

From “Using Callbooks”:

[...]

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the response.  It’s not a big deal.  In the past I hadn’t really paid much attention to some of the information in the Capture window.  I copy code in my head without many notes so it was easy just to relax and not pay much attention to the monitor except for entering the signal report.  I’ll remember to check the window and catch any discrepancies from now on.

73,

Mike, W3QT