Topics

Can SpotCollector lock up Windows 10?

Steve Masticola

I'm getting intermittent lockups of Windows 10, and I haven't been able to track down the cause. One possible cause is that SpotCollector might be getting huge numbers of spots, especially during contests, and locking up Windows while it's doing things with its database. Could this be happening?

I've added some filters to my spot sources and I'll see if that helps.

73, -Steve WX2S

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments
I'm getting intermittent lockups of Windows 10, and I haven't been able to track down the cause. One possible cause is that SpotCollector might be getting huge numbers of spots, especially during contests, and locking up Windows while it's doing things with its database. Could this be happening?

+ One of an operating systems most fundamental responsibilities is to protect the running applications from each other. A defect in an application, or large resource consumption by one application should not adversely impact other applications. SO if WIndows is locking up under any circumstances, that's by definition the result of a defect in Windows.

+ With the remote beacon network, CW skimmers, RTTY skimmers, and WSJT-X, it is certainly possible to configure SpotCollector in a manner that creates more of a load than your system can handle. If you do that, SpotCollector will not be able to keep up with the rate of incoming spots, which will accumulate in its processing queue. Over the past 20 years, I have never seen a case where SpotCollector's resource consumption crashed or locked up Windows.

+ See the WIki article on managing SpotCollector's performance.