Can not locate exported file to be sent to LOTW

Dick Bingham

Greetings everyone
I am using DXKeeper v15.7.2 and tried to export a log to LOTW.
After the process to generate the file, the displayed location where the
file was stored is c:\Program Files\TrustedQSL\QSOs-thru-24june2022

When I start Trusted QSL and select "Sign a log and upload it automatically to LOTW"
I can not find the saved log at the location specified during the DXKeeper "Export QSOs"
process

I have been able to perform this task easily in the past.

Dick/w7wkr

Rick Murphy

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 11:57 AM Dick Bingham <dick.bingham@...> wrote:
Greetings everyone
I am using DXKeeper v15.7.2 and tried to export a log to LOTW.
After the process to generate the file, the displayed location where the
file was stored is c:\Program Files\TrustedQSL\QSOs-thru-24june2022

Did you look in "C:\Program Files (x86)\TrustedQSL" ?

Windows most likely redirected the file to a "Shadow" directory, which is visible only to an administrative account.
I suggest saving to a safer place where Windows won't interfere.
73,
    -Rick
--
Rick Murphy, D. Sc., CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 11:57 AM Dick Bingham <dick.bingham@...> wrote:
Greetings everyone
I am using DXKeeper v15.7.2 and tried to export a log to LOTW.
After the process to generate the file, the displayed location where the
file was stored is c:\Program Files\TrustedQSL\QSOs-thru-24june2022

Did you look in "C:\Program Files (x86)\TrustedQSL" ?

Windows most likely redirected the file to a "Shadow" directory, which is visible only to an administrative account.
I suggest saving to a safer place where Windows won't interfere.

+ Rather then manually export an ADIF file and then manually direct TQSL to process it, you can use DXKeeper's automation to submit QSOs to LoTW, either automatically as you log each QSO, or with a few mouse clicks at the end of each operating session. See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLingLotW

+ If you have questions or concerns, don't hesitate to post them here.

Dick Bingham

Hello Dave, Rick and others who responded.

I am running THETIS SW to control an ANAN-7000dle plus WSJT-X and JTAlert
on a DELL E6510 laptop running W-7 64-bit OS

Some times this combination of software hangs-up - stalls for up to several minutes
during a logging process - and finally sorts-out whatever caused the hang-up, and
everything begins working again.

I have had to manually log several FT8 contacts that would have been lost. I DO have
things setup to automatically log to DXKeeper and LOTW.

The inability to find the ADIF file DXKeeper generated, so I could manually send to
LOTW those Q's I manually entered into DXKeeper, is the problem - I can not find it
where it was supposedly saved.

I did look in ===> "C:\Program Files (x86)\TrustedQSL"  and it was not visibly there either.

I have looked at DXKeeper's CONFIG and other popup pages and did not find a way to
change where an ADIF file, created by DXKeeper to send to LOTW, can be stored.

As an aside, does anyone know how to modify an already logged to LOTW QSO. I have
several contacts with mis-labeled Grid Squares that 50MHz FFMA award chasers need
'fixed' (CN97 needs to be changed to CN98).

73 to all

Dick/w7wkr presently at CN97uj

I am running THETIS SW to control an ANAN-7000dle plus WSJT-X and JTAlert
on a DELL E6510 laptop running W-7 64-bit OS

Some times this combination of software hangs-up - stalls for up to several minutes
during a logging process - and finally sorts-out whatever caused the hang-up, and
everything begins working again.

+ Many DXLab users log QSOs via JTAlert and WSJT-X to DXKeeper without reporting that behavior. Interference from another application -- most likely your anti-malware -- is the likely cause.

I have had to manually log several FT8 contacts that would have been lost. I DO have
things setup to automatically log to DXKeeper and LOTW.

The inability to find the ADIF file DXKeeper generated, so I could manually send to
LOTW those Q's I manually entered into DXKeeper, is the problem - I can not find it
where it was supposedly saved.

+ Either you remembered the pathname incorreectly, or, as Rick K1MU explained in his response here, you directed DXKeeper to save the file in Windows-virtualized folder. Next time, avoid

 c:\Program Files

+ and

C:\Program Files (x86)

I did look in ===> "C:\Program Files (x86)\TrustedQSL"  and it was not visibly there either.

I have looked at DXKeeper's CONFIG and other popup pages and did not find a way to
change where an ADIF file, created by DXKeeper to send to LOTW, can be stored.
+ When you direct DXKeeper to export a file, it provides you with a navigation window with which to choose the destination folder. I repeat my earlier suggestion to learn and utilize DXKeeper's automation for submitting logged QSOs to LoTW, rather than doing so by manually exporting an ADIF file and then manually invoking TQL. See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLingLotW

As an aside, does anyone know how to modify an already logged to LOTW QSO. I have
several contacts with mis-labeled Grid Squares that 50MHz FFMA award chasers need
'fixed' (CN97 needs to be changed to CN98).

+ The location information in the QSOs you submitted is irrelevant. What matters is the location information in the "Station Location" you employed to submit the QSOs. If the "Station Location" specified the wrong grid square, then define a new "Station Location" that specifies the correct grid square, and then use the new "Station Location" to resubmit the QSOs that were erroneously submitted.

Rick Murphy

You can't write files to "C:\Program Files" (or Program Files (x86) unless you're running as an administrator.  Ergo, you were running with elevated permissions and Windows likely redirected that file, and only an Administrator account can see it.

What I would try is to run a Command prompt "As Adminstrator" - press the "Windows" key, type the letters "cmd" then you should see a "Run as Administrator" option. Select that. (Or, right click the icon and choose "Run as Administrator")
Then "cd c:\Program Files" - that changes your current directory to the Program Files folder.
Then type "dir" at that command prompt.  That will display a director listing. Is there a file or a folder called "QSOs-Thru-24June2022" ? If that's a file, copy it somewhere you can access. Or, "cd QSOs-Thru-24June2022" and use a DIR command again.

To copy the file, "copy whatever-the-filename-is c:\" which will put it in the top level folder on the C drive.

This is why you you shouldn't ever run programs "As Adminstrator".
73,
    -Rick

On Sun, Jun 26, 2022 at 1:19 PM Dick Bingham <dick.bingham@...> wrote:
[...]

Hello Rick

Where you say ===> "What I would try is to run a Command prompt "As Adminstrator" - press the "Windows" key, type the letters "cmd" then you should see a "Run as Administrator" option. Select that. (Or, right click the icon and choose "Run as Administrator") "

I get the following response ===>

 and nowhere find the run as administrator after right-clicking the 'mouse' on everything in or on the popup screen.
The remainder of your suggestions I have not tried because I can't get past the first step described above !

I am also puzzled by the "header" in the above screen capture where in says "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe"
System info says ===>

I have a 64-bit OS

NOW, I have been informed the wrong Grid Square (CN98pi) is associated with every QSO sent to LOTW
even though I have specified the East Wenatchee (CN97uj)  site from which I am presently operating.

How does one ensure they are NOT running as Administrator ? Now, with the added new issue, I am stumped.

Dick/w7wkr presently at CN97uj

NOW, I have been informed the wrong Grid Square (CN98pi) is associated with every QSO sent to LOTW
even though I have specified the East Wenatchee (CN97uj)  site from which I am presently operating.
+ That means you submitted those QSOs with a "Station Location" that specified CN98pl instead on CN97uj. Correct your "Station Location" to specify CN97uj, and then resubmit your QSOs.

Rick Murphy

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 12:31 PM Dick Bingham <dick.bingham@...> wrote:
Hello Rick

Where you say ===> "What I would try is to run a Command prompt "As Adminstrator" - press the "Windows" key, type the letters "cmd" then you should see a "Run as Administrator" option. Select that. (Or, right click the icon and choose "Run as Administrator") "

That depends on what Windows version you're running.

Look for an article explaining how to do that for your version of Windows.  (I don't know if Windows 11 has a similar way to get admin credentials.)

I get the following response ===>

 and nowhere find the run as administrator after right-clicking the 'mouse' on everything in or on the popup screen.
The remainder of your suggestions I have not tried because I can't get past the first step described above !

I am also puzzled by the "header" in the above screen capture where in says "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe"
System info says ===>

I have a 64-bit OS

That's fine. 64-bit windows does run things that are 32-bit applications. And some programs are in System32 because that's where they first appeared.

Dave, should we take this off list?

73,
    -Rick
--
[...]

+ Not necessary, Rick. While not everyone here may be anxiously awaiting the next episode, what you're describing is certainly of interest to some members, perhaps reinforcing what they already understood. Also, the thread will be accessible her to future queries.

Dick Bingham

Greeting to everyone who assisted me with suggestions.

I finally shut the computed down, restarted it. and started everything as Administrator.

I exported a DXKeeper file to be submitted to LOTW and found it using TQSL to send
the file to LOTW.

Everything seems to be working fine _except_ for very infrequent "hangs" in the WSJT-X
logging process that may take several minutes for 'something' to return to it's senses and
the popup logging screen closes. During the 'hang'  the QSO was sent to LOTW.

In any event, I now know how to correct errors in submitted material to LOTW. At least
four FFMA chasers are now very pleased to have their CN98 QSO with me corrected (from the
CN97 status that got set during a hard-disc failure and ME rebuilding my DXKeeper
resident log).

Again, thank you to all who assisted.

73   Dick/w7wkr

Everything seems to be working fine _except_ for very infrequent "hangs" in the WSJT-X
logging process that may take several minutes for 'something' to return to it's senses and
the popup logging screen closes. During the 'hang'  the QSO was sent to LOTW.

+ Sounds like something -- probably your anti-malware -- is interfering with either DXKeeper's or TQSL's ability to access the internet.

Dick Bingham

Hello Dave

How do you have your system protected (recommend any particular SW?) so there is not
a fight between logger access to LOTW and anti-malware SW.

The "hangs" are so infrequent I do not want to mess around and screw-up something by
turning-off any anti-malware SW.

Dick/w7wkr presently at CN97uj

Gilbert Baron W0MN

I think Dave has said I the past that Defender is all you need. All DXLabs applications are submitted to Microsoft so if Defender is up to date you will be assured it is not the cause of trouble. I hope I have not mislead here. I am sure Dave will make comments. There are also some like the garbage of Norton that you do not want I your state. It is also bad to run more than one antimalware application at a time.;

Outlook LT Gil W0MN

Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

44.08226 N 92.51265 W EN34rb

How do you have your system protected (recommend any particular SW?) so there is not
a fight between logger access to LOTW and anti-malware SW.

The "hangs" are so infrequent I do not want to mess around and screw-up something by
turning-off any anti-malware SW.

Dick/w7wkr presently at CN97uj

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

How do you have your system protected (recommend any particular SW?) so there is not
a fight between logger access to LOTW and anti-malware SW.

+ I do not make recommendations for anti-malware; however, I can recite some facts:

1. I use the free version of AVG; periodically, I install Malwarebytes, conduct a scan, and then uninstall Malwarebytes.

2. Before being publicly released, a new version of a DXLab applications is sent to Microsoft Security Essentials; it is not released unless it receives a clean bill of health. If you're using Windows Defender, you must download the latest "definitions", as described at the beginning of every DXLab release note.

3. Anti-malware reported to be problematic is listed here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference

The "hangs" are so infrequent I do not want to mess around and screw-up something by
turning-off any anti-malware SW.
If anti-malware or other applications are interfering with your DXLab applications, then your system does not meet the requirements for hosting DXLab.

I think Dave has said I the past that Defender is all you need.
+ I have never said that! I do not have the testing facilities required to make such a claim.

All DXLabs applications are submitted to Microsoft so if Defender is up to date you will be assured it is not the cause of trouble.
+ The rate of trouble reports by users of Windows Defender has decreased substantially since I began sending DXLab applications to Microsoft Security Essentials.