Can DX Labs run on Windows 11 on ARM

Joy Rabins

I have a new M1 Mac Air laptop and would like to run DX Labs on it. Another ham has successfully run all his windows programs  with Parallels 17 with Windows for ARM on his M1 machine.  He doesn't use DX Labs. My question is will DX Labs run on Windows 11 for ARM? Thanks for any comments.
--
Joy
N6GO

I have a new M1 Mac Air laptop and would like to run DX Labs on it. Another ham has successfully run all his windows programs with Parallels 17 with Windows for ARM on his M1 machine. He doesn't use DX Labs. My question is will DX Labs run on Windows 11 for ARM?

+ I don't know. DXLab applications are compiled to the X86 instruction set, but Microsoft claims that ARM processors can interpret X86 applications. That sounds slow to this CPU design engineer, but until someone gives it a try and reports the results, performance remains unknown. Parallels adds yet another significant variable to the equation.

Joy Rabins

Thanks Dave. I would prefer to stay on my Mac even emulating Windows but you are right about Parallels being another failure point. I don't think I'm too worried about any slow downs. The M1 is blazing fast according to many people. Even if it is a little slower translating the X86 instructions I'm not playing games so my thought is I probably wouldn't notice it. Hopefully  someone has taken this step and will report.

Thanks,
--
Joy
N6GO

g4wjs

On 15/11/2021 18:09, Joy Rabins wrote:
Thanks Dave. I would prefer to stay on my Mac even emulating Windows but you are right about Parallels being another failure point. I don't think I'm too worried about any slow downs. The M1 is blazing fast according to many people. Even if it is a little slower translating the X86 instructions I'm not playing games so my thought is I probably wouldn't notice it. Hopefully  someone has taken this step and will report.

Thanks,
--
Joy
N6GO
Hi Joy,

another data point I can provide is that users of WSJT-X on macOS have reported excellent performance on M1 Macs, we still only ship WSJT-X built for Intel x64 CPUs so it is running under the Apple Rosetta 2 emulator. As WSJT-X is extremely CPU intensive while decoding, and decoding elapsed time is critical to good performance, it seems the Rosetta 2 emulator is dong a very good job.

Bill

G4WJS.

Fredric T. Serota

I am running DXLab on an new HP desktop minitower with I7 processor and solid state drive with Win 11 Home without any issues so far. Am controlling 2 transceivers with each following the other. What a fantastic feature.

Fred

alan.m.hyde@...

Joy
I'm a few days into my journey with a new M1 Mac Mini. So far I have successfully installed DX Labs suite and have it communicating with SDR-Console (which is the front end for my Hermes Lite 2 SDR). DX Labs software and SDR-Console are running on Windows 11 Arm edition which is provided by Parallels 17. I have also tested WSJT-X and Gridtracker running natively on MACOS and communicating via DX Commander under Win11. This also works. The biggest difficulty I had was finding virtual com port software that was supported on Windows 11 Arm. Virtual Serial Port from Eltima (Eltima.com) was the best (and only solution) that worked. It seems a very well supported and full featured offering.

I'm satisfied so far with how everything is working. The computer is very fast and I'm seeing much better performance from the SDR software than I was getting on my older windows laptop.

Hope this helps.
73
Alan - VK2ATW

[...]

+ Thanks for confirming that DXLab applications will run on ARM processors, Alan!

+ You don't say how you're using the Virtual Serial Port application; be aware an unintelligent port splitter like Eltima's cannot be used to enable Commander and another transceiver control application to simultaneously interact with the same transceiver. Only intelligent multiplexors like those developed by Tom VA2FSQ (Win4IcomSuite, Win4YaesuSuite, etc.) can be reliably used for this purpose. Commander's Secondary CAT port can provide another transceiver control application with limited access to your transceiver (frequency/mode tracking and reporting).

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-11-19 8:36 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ You don't say how you're using the Virtual Serial Port application;
Probably as the software null modem between Commander's Secondary CAT
Serial Port and SDR-Console (Omni-Rig) as OmniRig and Commander's Secondary CAT port both want to talk to a rig rather than another
application.

On 2021-11-19 8:36 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
[...]

Dave
Just using the virtual com port for communication between DX Commander and SDR Console. I’m using DX Commander UDP and TCP ports for other software interfacing.

Thanks for your great suite.

73
Alan - VK2ATW

Just using the virtual com port for communication between DX Commander and SDR Console.

+ That's not reliable. Commander is not designed to tolerate another transceiver control application sending CAT commands to your transceiver behind its back.

+ You should connect "SDR Console" to Commander's Secondary CAT Port, as shown in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SDRConsoleCWSkimmerConfiguration

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-11-19 4:16 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ You should connect "SDR Console" to Commander's Secondary CAT
Port, as shown in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SDRConsoleCWSkimmerConfiguration
Dave, what he's saying is that he is using Eltima's virtual ports where
the diagram you reference shows "com0com".

I also use Eltima ports (just a simple port pair) in that application
(in my case that are created by my microHAM software).

On 2021-11-19 4:16 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
Just using the virtual com port for communication between DX Commander and SDR Console.
+ That's not reliable. Commander is not designed to tolerate another transceiver control application sending CAT commands to your transceiver behind its back.
+ You should connect "SDR Console" to Commander's Secondary CAT Port, as shown in
https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SDRConsoleCWSkimmerConfiguration

# more AA6YQ comments below

+ You should connect "SDR Console" to Commander's Secondary CAT
Port, as shown in

> https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SDRConsoleCWSkimmerConfiguration

Dave, what he's saying is that he is using Eltima's virtual ports where
the diagram you reference shows "com0com".

# If that's the case, there is no problem.