Topics

Callsign too long to store in DXKeeper?

Bill Eggers

Some of the recent "STAYHOME" callsigns can get pretty long.  One of the longest ones I saw at 14 characters (VI2020STAYHOME, confirmed at https://www.qrz.com/lookup/vi2020stayhome) seems to be beyond the maximum size that can be recorded in DXKeeper.  I see in MS Access that the maximum size you can store for the "Call" field in the "QSOs" table is 13 characters.

Are there any plans to change the maximum size of the field in the table to 14 or beyond?  I realize that there may be more involved than just changing the table in Access (you might need to change report layouts to support the larger callsign, change field size in other MS Access tables, etc.)

73,
Bill
WB2RIS

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Some of the recent "STAYHOME" callsigns can get pretty long. One of the longest ones I saw at 14 characters (VI2020STAYHOME, confirmed at https://www.qrz.com/lookup/vi2020stayhome) seems to be beyond the maximum size that can be recorded in DXKeeper. I see in MS Access that the maximum size you can store for the "Call" field in the "QSOs" table is 13 characters.

Are there any plans to change the maximum size of the field in the table to 14 or beyond? I realize that there may be more involved than just changing the table in Access (you might need to change report layouts to support the larger callsign, change field size in other MS Access tables, etc.)

+ The procedure is straightforward, but I don't think it's worth making everyone's log bigger to handle the callsign of one op whose gotten carried away.

Bill Eggers

According to

https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/developer-submit-qsos/

A callsign in TQSL or LoTW can be up to 20 characters.  The N3FJP logger can apparently store callsigns even larger than 20 characters.  There are also other COVID calligns w/ indicators that are 14 characters total (A60STAYHOME/10 thru A60STAYHOME/12), so this should also be considered.  It seems that a precedent has been set for bigger callsigns (or callsigns with indicators).

I took a look at other MDB's in the DXLab suite.  The main "Spots" MDB used by SpotCollector has a table that supports callsigns up to 13 characters, but a "SpecialCallsigns" MDB has a table that supports callsigns up to 16 characters.  Perhaps you would consider having the LoTW MDB database for DXView support the maximum size callsign allowed in LoTW (currently set to 16)?   I would recommend at least setting the maximum callsign size in all MDB's in the suite to a consistent value.

Your concern about increased diskspace usage is valid.  I tried an experiment to increase the size of the field in the table, from 13 to 20, compacting it before and after the change, and the size of the database did increase by about 7 times the number of records in my QSOs table.  One thing to remember: these older style MDB's blow up if they grow beyond 2 GB (I found this out the hard way in another project...)  Compact early and often.

By the way, I've used this suite for at least 10 years, and I have been very pleased with it for the most part.  DXlabs is not popular with the clubs I belong to, but I started using it before I moved to GA.  It is my main long term log, and  I can easily import ADIF's from other loggers that I prefer to use for contests.  I don't use Pathfinder or WinWarbler; I use other apps to send and decode digital modes.  Not bad for a free program!

73,
Bill
WB2RIS

On 7/11/2020 1:26 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Some of the recent "STAYHOME" callsigns can get pretty long. One of the longest ones I saw at 14 characters (VI2020STAYHOME, confirmed at https://www.qrz.com/lookup/vi2020stayhome) seems to be beyond the maximum size that can be recorded in DXKeeper. I see in MS Access that the maximum size you can store for the "Call" field in the "QSOs" table is 13 characters.

Are there any plans to change the maximum size of the field in the table to 14 or beyond? I realize that there may be more involved than just changing the table in Access (you might need to change report layouts to support the larger callsign, change field size in other MS Access tables, etc.)

+ The procedure is straightforward, but I don't think it's worth making everyone's log bigger to handle the callsign of one op whose gotten carried away.

---
https://www.avg.com

[...]

+ AA6LETSNOTENCOURAGETHEUSEOFCALLSIGNSTOCONVEYMESSAGES

Carl - WC4H

LOL Dave.

73.
Carl - WC4H