Call lookup in DXKeeper

Dick Grote

There are a few items in this post.

I've been spending a few days getting caught up on QSLing.  I generated a needed list for cards in DXKeeper based on DX and WAS only.  Bands only, not modes.

I was surprised that all of the W1AW/x QSO's that were made in 2014 for the ARRL Centennial showed up as candidates.  I pretty much have WAS on all my bands and certainly these QSO's were contributing to anything.  Any idea what this is?

As I focused on my DX's of interest, I realized that that the QSO's for the last couple of years (I haven't done this for a while) hadn't been automatically updated with the name and address information of the contact.  I use QRZ.com XML and in the box "Automatically use cookbook data to initialize new QSO" is check in DXKeeper Configuration Callbook tab.  QRZ.com is working just fine because the QSO information shows up when I click CBA.  Am I missing something?

Finally, since I was missing a lot of QSO information, I clicked ALT-CBA to update the entire log.  I admit freely that this wasn't probably the best way to do the job, but after several hours, the log is up to date.  However, there were a lot QSO problems--obviously call sign mistakes and unfortunately SK's who no longer in QRZ.com.  Every time one of these issues occurs, it stops the process and an error box shows up that needs to clicked through.  Would it be possible to just proceed through the update and then generate an issue log?

Thanks,
--
Dick
K6PBF

I've been spending a few days getting caught up on QSLing. I generated a needed list for cards in DXKeeper based on DX and WAS only. Bands only, not modes.

I was surprised that all of the W1AW/x QSO's that were made in 2014 for the ARRL Centennial showed up as candidates. I pretty much have WAS on all my bands and certainly these QSO's were contributing to anything. Any idea what this is?

+ What boxes are checked in the "Add Needed" panel on the "QSL Configuration" window's General tab? What boxes are checked in this panel's "Awards" sub-panel?

As I focused on my DX's of interest, I realized that that the QSO's for the last couple of years (I haven't done this for a while) hadn't been automatically updated with the name and address information of the contact. I use QRZ.com XML and in the box "Automatically use cookbook data to initialize new QSO" is check in DXKeeper Configuration Callbook tab. QRZ.com is working just fine because the QSO information shows up when I click CBA. Am I missing something?

+ Were the QSOs in question logged from DXKeeper, or logged from another application and conveyed to DXKeeper?

Finally, since I was missing a lot of QSO information, I clicked ALT-CBA to update the entire log. I admit freely that this wasn't probably the best way to do the job, but after several hours, the log is up to date. However, there were a lot QSO problems--obviously call sign mistakes and unfortunately SK's who no longer in QRZ.com. Every time one of these issues occurs, it stops the process and an error box shows up that needs to clicked through. Would it be possible to just proceed through the update and then generate an issue log?

+ Uncheck the "Warn when a callbook lookup returns callsign not found" box in the lower right corner of the Callbook tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window.

Dick Grote

+ What boxes are checked in the "Add Needed" panel on the "QSL Configuration" window's General tab? What boxes are checked in this panel's "Awards" sub-panel?

In General tab:
      Add Needed request all with the same call
     DXCC

--
Dick
K6PBF

Dick Grote

Sent last message way too soon.  Sorry.

+ What boxes are checked in the "Add Needed" panel on the "QSL Configuration" window's General tab? What boxes are checked in this panel's "Awards" sub-panel?

In General Tab: "Add Needed requests all with same call"   DXCC   WAS

In Awards Tab:
    At top:  Automatically recompute realtime award tracking; Deduce CQ and ITU zones from US callsigns, Inlude LotW QSL's in CQ...

    DCXX Bands & Modes: 6M --> 40M
    DXCC Submission: Submit deleted entities    75 Records sheets line/page
    VUCC & WAS Submission: QSL cards
    WAS Bands and & Modes 6M --> 40M   Realtime Award Progress
    WAZ Bands and & Modes: All modes checked, but no bands

+ Were the QSOs in question logged from DXKeeper, or logged from another application and conveyed to DXKeeper?

No lookups with WSJT or with DXKeeper Capture (if I don't click Lookup in the window).  Lookups seem to be okay okay with WinWarbler.

+ Uncheck the "Warn when a callbook lookup returns callsign not found" box in the lower right corner of the Callbook tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window.

Thanks, easy fix.

--
Dick
K6PBF

Dave AA6YQ

# more AA6YQ comments below

Sent last message way too soon. Sorry.

+ What boxes are checked in the "Add Needed" panel on the "QSL Configuration" window's General tab? What boxes are checked in this panel's "Awards" sub-panel?

In General Tab: "Add Needed requests all with same call" DXCC WAS

In Awards Tab:
At top: Automatically recompute realtime award tracking; Deduce CQ and ITU zones from US callsigns, Inlude LotW QSL's in CQ...

DCXX Bands & Modes: 6M --> 40M
DXCC Submission: Submit deleted entities 75 Records sheets line/page
VUCC & WAS Submission: QSL cards
WAS Bands and & Modes 6M --> 40M Realtime Award Progress
WAZ Bands and & Modes: All modes checked, but no bands

# Please try this:

1. clear the QSL Queue

2. uncheck WAS ion the Awards sub-panel in the "Add Needed" panel on the "QSL Configuration" window's General tab.

3. invoke the "Add Needed" function

4. are those W1AW QSOs still added to the QSL Queue?

+ Were the QSOs in question logged from DXKeeper, or logged from another application and conveyed to DXKeeper?

No lookups with WSJT or with DXKeeper Capture (if I don't click Lookup in the window). Lookups seem to be okay okay with WinWarbler.

# If you're logging via WSJT-X using the direct interoperation with DXLab, then if you want each logged QSO augmented with callbook information, you must check the Callbook box in the WSJT-X panel on the "Spot Sources" tab of SpotCollector's Configuration window

# If you're logging via WSJT-X using JT-Alert, then if you want each logged QSO augmented with callbook information, you must configure JT-Alert to perform the callbook lookup

# If you enter AA6YQ into the Capture window's Call box and then strike the Tab or Enter key, is the Capture window not populated with the results of a callbook lookup?

Dick Grote

# Please try this:

1. clear the QSL Queue

2. uncheck WAS ion the Awards sub-panel in the "Add Needed" panel on the "QSL Configuration" window's General tab.

3. invoke the "Add Needed" function

4. are those W1AW QSOs still added to the QSL Queue?

The W1AW/x's no longer appear. If I re-click the WAS button, they reappear.

I'm pretty sure in 2014 I hadn't seen the true way yet and was using another logging program and so they were imported when I came over to DXLabs.  However, I've used the ADD NEEDED function many times and this is the first time I've seen this.

(In the grand scheme of things, this isn't a big deal for me.  It wasn't hard to ignore them.  It was just out of the ordinary).

# If you're logging via WSJT-X using the direct interoperation with DXLab, then if you want each logged QSO augmented with callbook information, you must check the Callbook box in the WSJT-X panel on the "Spot Sources" tab of SpotCollector's Configuration window

Ok, thanks.  I tried it and it works as advertised.

# If you're logging via WSJT-X using JT-Alert, then if you want each logged QSO augmented with callbook information, you must configure JT-Alert to perform the callbook lookup

# If you enter AA6YQ into the Capture window's Call box and then strike the Tab or Enter key, is the Capture window not populated with the results of a callbook lookup?

It is populated.  What doesn't work is if I just put in the call sign, and the country and hit "log", the call information isn't updated in the log.  However, upon reflection, this isn't a particularly reasonable thing to do, (Why go to the trouble of entering the country code manually, when a tab, enter, or "Lookup" will do the same thing and a lot more?)

Thanks for your time.

Dick
K6PBF

Dave AA6YQ

@ more AA6YQ comments below

1. clear the QSL Queue

2. uncheck WAS ion the Awards sub-panel in the "Add Needed" panel on the "QSL Configuration" window's General tab.

3. invoke the "Add Needed" function

4. are those W1AW QSOs still added to the QSL Queue?

The W1AW/x's no longer appear. If I re-click the WAS button, they reappear.

I'm pretty sure in 2014 I hadn't seen the true way yet and was using another logging program and so they were imported when I came over to DXLabs. However, I've used the ADD NEEDED function many times and this is the first time I've seen this.

(In the grand scheme of things, this isn't a big deal for me. It wasn't hard to ignore them. It was just out of the ordinary).

@ Please place your log file in a zip archive, attach it to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

@ so that I can determine why DXKeeper's "Add Needed" function is adding your W1AW QSOs to the QSL Queue.

@ Striking the Enter or Tab keys to trigger the lookup operation has been a requirement since the Capture window was added to DXKeeper in version 1.1.4 back in March of 2001. See the second paragraph in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/LogNewCapture.htm