Broken RBN Spots

Pete W1RM

I have spot collector set to show unworked entities for the marathon.  I am getting a ton of bad/broken spots.  Spots like TN3JT and TN2IC just as examples.  I don’t know if these bad spots are coming from one source (node) or are being propagated all over the place.

I do know some of the sources are what I’ll call reliable sources, like K1TTT and KM3T.

Other than just ignore them, what to do?

Pete Chamalian, W1RM

W1RM@...

I have spot collector set to show unworked entities for the marathon. I am getting a ton of bad/broken spots. Spots like TN3JT and
TN2IC just as examples. I don't know if these bad spots are coming from one source (node) or are being propagated all over the
place.

I do know some of the sources are what I'll call reliable sources, like K1TTT and KM3T.

Other than just ignore them, what to do?

+ Add them to SpotCollector's "Special Callsigns" list with no tags; they will then be ignored.

Pete Smith

Hi Pete - these probably arise mostly through erratic sending, QRM  or propagation conditions blurring the existence of the space between, for example,  "CWT" and "N3JT".  CW Skimmer then looks at what it has copied and thinks "that could be a legitimate call."  I see these very frequently in CWTs. Not much you can do unless SpotCollector has or can add a blacklisting function.  In theory, RBN node operators can blacklist calls in their Aggregator software, but we do not attempt to do that for them from the RBN server.

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 10/13/2021 4:54 PM, Pete W1RM wrote:

I have spot collector set to show unworked entities for the marathon.  I am getting a ton of bad/broken spots.  Spots like TN3JT and TN2IC just as examples.  I don’t know if these bad spots are coming from one source (node) or are being propagated all over the place.

I do know some of the sources are what I’ll call reliable sources, like K1TTT and KM3T.

Other than just ignore them, what to do?

Pete Chamalian, W1RM

W1RM@...

Jon KM8V

I have FT8 RBN spots in SpotCollector, and false decode spots are one of the reasons I asked Dave to add a "spot count" data column to the SpotCollector database. It sounds like these might be similar on the CW RBN.

For most of my SQL filters in SpotCollector I can then set "and SpotCount > 1" and only see entries that have been spotted at least twice.

It isn't perfect, and there are times when you might want to see spots the first time they are spotted or even if they are spotted only once, but it has helped cut down on chasing ghosts.

73 de KM8V Jon

Pete W1RM

John, thanks for this!  I just added it to my sql filtering.  Fingers crossed!

Pete Chamalian, W1RM

W1RM@...