Topics

Behaviour when new dB-updates available with program auto-start

Markku SM5FLM

Some times ago I wrote a message about new program updates with auto start of programs is enabled. When there are updates a popup is shown, and you can install updates before auto starting.

But if there are database updates, you only get a message in the Launcher window about new dB-updates, but the auto start sequence can't be stopped. Afterwards the Spotcollector and Dxkeeper have to be stopped manually before the dB-updates can be installed.

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Some times ago I wrote a message about new program updates with auto start of programs is enabled. When there are updates a popup is shown, and you can install updates before auto starting.

But if there are database updates, you only get a message in the Launcher window about new dB-updates, but the auto start sequence can't be stopped. Afterwards the Spotcollector and Dxkeeper have to be stopped manually before the dB-updates can be installed.

+ The problem is that the Launcher doesn't learn that new databases are available until DXView has been started. I don't know that there's a practical solution to this inconvenience; for now, when you see an email message announcing the availability of one or more new database versions before you've started your DXLab applications, start DXView before you start the Launcher.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

* more AA6YQ comments below

+ The problem is that the Launcher doesn't learn that new databases are available until DXView has been started. I don't know that there's a practical solution to this inconvenience; for now, when you see an email message announcing the availability of one or more new database versions before you've started your DXLab applications, start DXView before you start the Launcher.

* The practical solution is to extend DXView, DXKeeper, and SpotCollector so that DXView will inform DXKeeper and SpotCollector that new databases are available. DXView and SpotCollector would then put themselves into a state where they can update to the new databases, update to the new databases, and then return to normal operation. This is enhancement #33 in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/enhancements.htm.

Dave, AA6YQ