Topics

Beginner issues with Spot Connector

W5IO

Hi All

I am in the process of setting up DX Lab suites, a daunting problem when you have been using another logging program for 30 years. I have been a long time user of VE7CC's DX spotting program. I have been connecting to VE7CC, AE5E and K5DX on VE7CC software. 

With DX Spot, I have not been able to connect to K5DX. I am able to connect to VE7CC, NN1D and AE5E. 

I am using my call with a hyphen different numbers for VE7CC and AE5E with not connect issues. 

K5DX continues to return "Invalid Call" when I try to connect with my call or my call and - and a number.

K5DX is at host address  dxc.tdxs.net, port 7373. 

I searched through prior messages with the group but found nothing that appeared similar to this problem.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? 

Thanks all, stay safe.

Maury
W5IO

Robie - AJ4F

Maury,

I'm connected to K5DX with Spot Collector as show below and it's working properly:

Robie - AJ4F

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 1:02 PM W5IO <w5io@...> wrote:
Hi All

I am in the process of setting up DX Lab suites, a daunting problem when you have been using another logging program for 30 years. I have been a long time user of VE7CC's DX spotting program. I have been connecting to VE7CC, AE5E and K5DX on VE7CC software. 

With DX Spot, I have not been able to connect to K5DX. I am able to connect to VE7CC, NN1D and AE5E. 

I am using my call with a hyphen different numbers for VE7CC and AE5E with not connect issues. 

K5DX continues to return "Invalid Call" when I try to connect with my call or my call and - and a number.

K5DX is at host address  dxc.tdxs.net, port 7373. 

I searched through prior messages with the group but found nothing that appeared similar to this problem.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? 

Thanks all, stay safe.

Maury
W5IO

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I am in the process of setting up DX Lab suites, a daunting problem when you have been using another logging program for 30 years.

+ Welcome to DXLab, Maury!

+ Yes, 30 years of experience with another application will make you transition particularly challenging, as your subconscious control over keyboard and mouse gestures will work against you. In my experience, the only way to retrain your subconscious mind is to intentionally engage your conscious mind when clicking the mouse and striking keys. This will seem very slow at first, but over time the new gestures will become automatic just as they were with your previous logging program.

I have been a long time user of VE7CC's DX spotting program. I have been connecting to VE7CC, AE5E and K5DX on VE7CC software.

K5DX is at host address dxc.tdxs.net, port 7373.

+ Different clusters impose different requirements. Using the parameters you specify above, I just connected to K5DX and successfully logged-in as

AA6YQ-1

+ I suggest that you contact the operator of the K5DX cluster and ask why you are unable to log using your callsign with a hyphen and a number appended.

Dave, AA6YQ

W5IO

Thanks Robbie but that pic did not come through. 

Thanks Dave for the kind words and recommendations. Yes, this conversion is requiring focus. I just wish there was a way to increase the font size on the configuration screens. Windows control panel font change doesn't affect them and I see nothing in the instructions or emails in the group in regards to those screens. Tough on these middle age eyes. HIHI 

Thanks for the help.

On Monday, December 28, 2020, 01:14:56 PM CST, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

I am in the process of setting up DX Lab suites, a daunting problem when you have been using another logging program for 30 years.

+ Welcome to DXLab, Maury!

+ Yes, 30 years of experience with another application will make you transition particularly challenging, as your subconscious control over keyboard and mouse gestures will work against you. In my experience, the only way to retrain your subconscious mind is to intentionally engage your conscious mind when clicking the mouse and striking keys. This will seem very slow at first, but over time the new gestures will become automatic just as they were with your previous logging program.

I have been a long time user of VE7CC's DX spotting program. I have been connecting to VE7CC, AE5E and K5DX on VE7CC software.

K5DX is at host address  dxc.tdxs.net, port 7373.

+ Different clusters impose different requirements. Using the parameters you specify above, I just connected to K5DX and successfully logged-in as

AA6YQ-1

+ I suggest that you contact the operator of the K5DX cluster and ask why you are unable to log using your callsign with a hyphen and a number appended.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Thanks Dave for the kind words and recommendations. Yes, this conversion is requiring focus. I just wish there was a way to increase the font size on the configuration screens. Windows control panel font change doesn't affect them and I see nothing in the instructions or emails in the group in regards to those screens. Tough on these middle age eyes.

+ Take a look at this article by Dave W6DE:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MonitorsForOldEyes>

Dave, AA6YQ

Jim - KR9U

There is an alternative for desk space. I used to use two monitors in portrait mode. (on their side). For those who need Bi or Trifocals to see the monitor, it can be a problem, but it reduces desk space an doesn't require as much head bending as one monitor on top of the other. Since then, I've re-arranged things and am back to two 21" monitors side by side. Although adding a 3rd monitor isn't out of question.

Jim - KR9U

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2020 4:05 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Beginner issues with Spot Connector

+ AA6YQ comments below

Thanks Dave for the kind words and recommendations. Yes, this conversion is requiring focus. I just wish there was a way to increase the font size on the configuration screens. Windows control panel font change doesn't affect them and I see nothing in the instructions or emails in the group in regards to those screens. Tough on these middle age eyes.

Dave, AA6YQ

W5IO

I have used 3 monitors for 20 years, professionally and post retirement, but nothing I do will make the font on the configuration screens larger. I am fine with the other DX Lab screens, it just the configuration screens that cannot be enlarged. 

W5IO

On Monday, December 28, 2020, 03:21:47 PM CST, Jim - KR9U <kr9u@...> wrote:

There is an alternative for desk space.  I used to use two monitors in portrait mode. (on their side).  For those who need Bi or Trifocals to see the monitor, it can be a problem, but it reduces desk space an doesn't require as much head bending as one monitor on top of the other.  Since then, I've re-arranged things and am back to two 21" monitors side by side.  Although adding a 3rd monitor isn't out of question.

Jim - KR9U

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2020 4:05 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Beginner issues with Spot Connector

+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

There is an alternative for desk space. I used to use two monitors in portrait mode. (on their side). For those who need Bi or Trifocals to see the monitor, it can be a problem, but it reduces desk space an doesn't require as much head bending as one monitor on top of the other. Since then, I've re-arranged things and am back to two 21" monitors side by side. Although adding a 3rd monitor isn't out of question.

+ Is anyone using a curved monitor? I would think that they would provide a more constant eye-to-screen distance.

+ Another option: when first setting up DXLab and spending a lot of time in Configuration windows, temporarily configure Windows to use a lower resolution, which will increase the size of everything (but therefore display less information); then return to the monitor's native resolution when most of the configuration work is complete.

+ There's also a Windows Magnifier tool that will display a selected screen region in enlarged form.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below
I have used 3 monitors for 20 years, professionally and post retirement, but nothing I do will make the font on the configuration screens larger. I am fine with the other DX Lab screens, it just the configuration screens that cannot be enlarged. 

+ On Windows 10, select Start > Settings > Ease of Access > Display. In the "Make everything bigger" section, increase the "Change the size of apps and text on the main display" selector to the next largest setting.

+ There's an option below that selector to increase the size of apps and text on other displays.

+ There's a similar capability on Windows 7.

+ You can return this setting to "full resolution" after you're no longer spending most of your time in Configuration windows.

Dave, AA6YQ