Is there a way to send band data over the LAN so I can control a 4O3A Antenna Genius over the LAN?

Can Commander handle this?

I just sold my Flex and will be using a K3S.  The best I can tell I need a band decoder between the K3S and the Antenna Genius.  It would be nice if I could skip the band decoder and send the band info over the LAN to the Antenna Genius.

Rich - N5ZC

Joe Subich, W4TV

I just sold my Flex and will be using a K3S.
Does the 403A Antenna "Genius" not support BCD? Use the BCD data
directly from the K3S AUX jack

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 04:06 AM, RIchard Thorne wrote:

Is there a way to send band data over the LAN so I can control a 4O3A Antenna Genius over the LAN?

Can Commander handle this?

I just sold my Flex and will be using a K3S.  The best I can tell I need a band decoder between the K3S and the Antenna Genius.  It would be nice if I could skip the band decoder and send the band info over the LAN to the Antenna Genius.

Here's an excerpt from the Antenna Genius Owner's Manual:

4.1. Multiple control options You have five ways to control your AG:

  1. FlexRadio SmartSDR API* over your network; AG will automatically follow two different Slice band selections (at present connected through the AG Windows app, direct connection between SSDR and AG is planned as a future capability to SSDR & Maestro)
  2. Manual band change from the AG Windows app connected via your network
  3. Interface Genius tm (IG) connected to your radio(s) via a USB or serial port and connected to AG via LAN; IG will connect to pretty much any modern radio via its serial or USB CAT port
  4. BCD (Binary-Coded Decimal) signals via the DE-15 VGA-style connector
  5. +12 VDC “Pin-to-Port” via the DE-15 VGA-style connector

If I understand this correctly, "over the network" control is only supported when your transceiver is a Flex Signature, or if you use the Antenna Genius Windows App to manually initiate band changes.

If your Antenna Genius were local, you could control it via Commander's Secondary CAT port (option 3 above) or via a PC parallel port (option 4 above)

Commander has the ability to issue N1MM-style UDP frequency update messages, but Antenna Genius does not appear to support this option.

Larry K8UT <k8ut@...>

Rich

The Antenna Genius folks recommend that you use N4PY's Software for interfacing between your rig and their hardware.

-larry (K8UT)

On 2019-06-02 8:39 AM, RIchard Thorne wrote:
Option 4 requires an external band decoder connected to the K3S then
to the Antenna Genius. Joe, W4TV, mentioned that I should be able to
connect the BCD output from the K3S directly to the Antenna Genius.
I don't think (and I hope I'm wrong) that the K3S has a standard BCD
output, it does have band data but not in the same format. Again, I
could be wrong about this.
Rich,

The Elecraft band data is in the same format as Yaesu (160=1, 80=2,
40=3, 30=4, 20=5, 17=6, 15=7, 12=8, 10=9, 6=10). See "Band Outputs"
in your Elecraft Owners Manual.

On 2019-06-02 8:39 AM, RIchard Thorne wrote:
Dave,
[...]

+ The fragment of the Antenna Genius owner's manual that you quoted in

<https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/185838>

+ indicates that Antenna Genius will extend "option 1" to support direct interoperation with SmartSDR. Thus it would not be justifiable to divert DXLab development resources to provide this interoperation, given that only a small fraction of DXLab users would benefit.