Topics

AUX info sent over UDP Network Service?

Gregg W6IZT

Dave:

I'm building a wireless antenna control switch and I was wondering if there is a method for sending AUX info over the UDP Network Service. If not, is this something that could be implemented?

Thanks
Gregg
W6IZT

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I'm building a wireless antenna control switch and I was wondering if there is a method for sending AUX info over the UDP Network Service.

+ What is "AUX info" in this context?

Dave, AA6YQ

Gregg W6IZT

Frequency info as configured on the device tab. I'd like to use it not only to control remote antenna switches but also remote matching networks.

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2020 18:09
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] AUX info sent over UDP Network Service?

+ AA6YQ comments below

I'm building a wireless antenna control switch and I was wondering if there is a method for sending AUX info over the UDP Network Service.

+ What is "AUX info" in this context?

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Frequency info as configured on the device tab. I'd like to use it not only to control remote antenna switches but also remote matching networks.

+ "Frequency info" is not a description sufficient to drive implementation. Is there a specification for the format in which this information is to be conveyed?

Dave, AA6YQ

Larry K8UT

Hi, Gregg

I wrote software and built a band decoder that uses RadioInfo UDP packets from both DXLab's Commander and N1MM+ to control my antennas and bandswitches. The software works seamlessly when switching from Commander to N1MM+ because the N1MM Dev Team folks have worked closely with Dave for several years to ensure that Commander's UDP packets and N1MM+'s UDP packets deliver identical descriptions of radio/band/mode status. My software is free. The hardware is DIY based on a Raspberry Pi and Sainsmart relay modules. Total project cost under $75.

You can read about FreqEZ here: https://hamprojects.info/freqez/

FreqEZ controls up-to 16 remote antenna lines. I have been considering a "FreqEZ-lite" version with simplified hardware requirements and even lower cost, but only 8 antenna control lines. Let me know if you want to collaborate.

-larry (K8UT)

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 2020-06-20 9:35:23 AM
Subject: [DXLab] AUX info sent over UDP Network Service?

Dave:

I'm building a wireless antenna control switch and I was wondering if there is a method for sending AUX info over the UDP Network Service. If not, is this something that could be implemented?

Thanks
Gregg
W6IZT

Gregg W6IZT

The thought is to have an Arduino on the network the that is listening on a specified UDP port. A device tab in Commander would be configured to send as an example AUX1 for a specific frequency range. The Arduino would receive the message and reset all relays and enable relay1. Similar to the method that Commander sends antenna info to my SO2R box.

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2020 19:14

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ "Frequency info" is not a description sufficient to drive implementation. Is there a specification for the format in which this information is to be conveyed?

Dave, AA6YQ

Gregg W6IZT

Larry:

That is a great solution. I'll give it a try. I was looking at the device panel capabilities in Commander as it has the capability of switching based on band segment ie switching in a matching network to switch between 40CW and 40SSB.

Thanks for sharing this. Time to dive into my RPI junk box.

Gregg W6IZT

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry K8UT
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2020 19:50

Hi, Gregg

I wrote software and built a band decoder that uses RadioInfo UDP packets from both DXLab's Commander and N1MM+ to control my antennas and bandswitches. The software works seamlessly when switching from Commander to N1MM+ because the N1MM Dev Team folks have worked closely with Dave for several years to ensure that Commander's UDP packets and N1MM+'s UDP packets deliver identical descriptions of radio/band/mode status. My software is free. The hardware is DIY based on a Raspberry Pi and Sainsmart relay modules. Total project cost under $75.

FreqEZ controls up-to 16 remote antenna lines. I have been considering a "FreqEZ-lite" version with simplified hardware requirements and even lower cost, but only 8 antenna control lines. Let me know if you want to collaborate.

-larry (K8UT)

Dave:

Thanks
Gregg
W6IZT

Larry K8UT

Gregg

The software has several methods for selecting antennas and band filters, surely one of them matches your requirements:
  • By BCD output from your rig (ugh - does anybody do this anymore?)
  • By Band (160, 80, 40...)
  • By Frequency/Band segment (80m CW vs 75m SSB, for example)
  • By Radio (SO2V/R - different choices for radio1/vfo1 vs radio2/vfo2)
  • By N1MM Configurer antenna setting
  • By Manually clicking a button
My objective in designing the software was to allow all configuration via software settings. No switches, jumpers, solder bridges, diodes.

-larry (K8UT)

Sent: 2020-06-20 4:31:32 PM

Larry:

That is a great solution. I'll give it a try. I was looking at the device panel capabilities in Commander as it has the capability of switching based on band segment ie switching in a matching network to switch between 40CW and 40SSB.

Thanks for sharing this. Time to dive into my RPI junk box.

Gregg W6IZT

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry K8UT
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2020 19:50

Hi, Gregg

-larry (K8UT)

Dave:

Thanks
Gregg
W6IZT