Topics

AUX info sent over UDP Network Service?

Gregg W6IZT

Dave:

I'm building a wireless antenna control switch and I was wondering if there is a method for sending AUX info over the UDP Network Service. If not, is this something that could be implemented?

Thanks
Gregg
W6IZT

I'm building a wireless antenna control switch and I was wondering if there is a method for sending AUX info over the UDP Network Service.

+ What is "AUX info" in this context?

Gregg W6IZT

Frequency info as configured on the device tab. I'd like to use it not only to control remote antenna switches but also remote matching networks.

I'm building a wireless antenna control switch and I was wondering if there is a method for sending AUX info over the UDP Network Service.

+ What is "AUX info" in this context?

Frequency info as configured on the device tab. I'd like to use it not only to control remote antenna switches but also remote matching networks.

+ "Frequency info" is not a description sufficient to drive implementation. Is there a specification for the format in which this information is to be conveyed?

Larry K8UT

Hi, Gregg

I wrote software and built a band decoder that uses RadioInfo UDP packets from both DXLab's Commander and N1MM+ to control my antennas and bandswitches. The software works seamlessly when switching from Commander to N1MM+ because the N1MM Dev Team folks have worked closely with Dave for several years to ensure that Commander's UDP packets and N1MM+'s UDP packets deliver identical descriptions of radio/band/mode status. My software is free. The hardware is DIY based on a Raspberry Pi and Sainsmart relay modules. Total project cost under $75.

You can read about FreqEZ here: https://hamprojects.info/freqez/

FreqEZ controls up-to 16 remote antenna lines. I have been considering a "FreqEZ-lite" version with simplified hardware requirements and even lower cost, but only 8 antenna control lines. Let me know if you want to collaborate.

-larry (K8UT)

I'm building a wireless antenna control switch and I was wondering if there is a method for sending AUX info over the UDP Network Service. If not, is this something that could be implemented?

Thanks
Gregg
W6IZT

Gregg W6IZT

The thought is to have an Arduino on the network the that is listening on a specified UDP port. A device tab in Commander would be configured to send as an example AUX1 for a specific frequency range. The Arduino would receive the message and reset all relays and enable relay1. Similar to the method that Commander sends antenna info to my SO2R box.

Frequency info as configured on the device tab. I'd like to use it not only to control remote antenna switches but also remote matching networks.

+ "Frequency info" is not a description sufficient to drive implementation. Is there a specification for the format in which this information is to be conveyed?

Gregg W6IZT

Larry:

That is a great solution. I'll give it a try. I was looking at the device panel capabilities in Commander as it has the capability of switching based on band segment ie switching in a matching network to switch between 40CW and 40SSB.

Thanks for sharing this. Time to dive into my RPI junk box.

73
Gregg W6IZT