Topics

Automatically change Mode per bandplan

Scott

Recently I've been chasing Parks on the Air, and found it's easiest to switch bands to the spotted frequency by highlighting the frequency readout in Commander and typing in the frequency. For example, if I'm on 14.225 USB and want to look for a spotted station on 7.205, it goes to the desired frequency but stays in USB instead of following the bandplan and being on LSB for 40 meters. Same with if I'm on  SSB and move to a CW spot, it doesn't automatically change to CW per bandplan.

Is there a setting for following bandplan for mode in Commander? I have not seen one, and perhaps this is not something most people would ever encounter, but it would be nice if it switched based on the bandplan.

Thanks in advance!
Scott / KN3A

w6de

If you are using SpotCollector for Spots, you can simply double click in the left most column or on the call sign of the Spot Announcement in SpotCollector and that will change your radio to the correct mode and frequency.

In your DXLabs  SpotCollector Folder there is a BandModes.txt that defines what Mode can normally be expected in a frequency range for the bands.  This is what SpotCollector uses to determine the Mode for each spot and is also the Mode conveyed to Commander.

Dave, w6de

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott
Sent: 13 July, 2020 01:30
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] Automatically change Mode per bandplan

Recently I've been chasing Parks on the Air, and found it's easiest to switch bands to the spotted frequency by highlighting the frequency readout in Commander and typing in the frequency. For example, if I'm on 14.225 USB and want to look for a spotted station on 7.205, it goes to the desired frequency but stays in USB instead of following the bandplan and being on LSB for 40 meters. Same with if I'm on  SSB and move to a CW spot, it doesn't automatically change to CW per bandplan.

Is there a setting for following bandplan for mode in Commander? I have not seen one, and perhaps this is not something most people would ever encounter, but it would be nice if it switched based on the bandplan.

Thanks in advance!
Scott / KN3A

w6de

Additionally, you can edit the BandModes.txt to accommodate changes for new mode, frequencies and or move assignments around; e.g., add more FT8 assignments as you discover them.  Then save the edited BandModes.txt  with a new name, I use BandModes-2020-07-12 and update the date each time I edit the file.  Keep the original file as named so you can easily recover from errors.. Then in SpotCollector | Config | General Tab | SUB-band Definition | click on Select and navigate to and select the new file you just created.

Dave, w6de

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of w6de via groups.io
Sent: 13 July, 2020 02:16
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Automatically change Mode per bandplan

If you are using SpotCollector for Spots, you can simply double click in the left most column or on the call sign of the Spot Announcement in SpotCollector and that will change your radio to the correct mode and frequency.

In your DXLabs  SpotCollector Folder there is a BandModes.txt that defines what Mode can normally be expected in a frequency range for the bands.  This is what SpotCollector uses to determine the Mode for each spot and is also the Mode conveyed to Commander.

Dave, w6de

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott
Sent: 13 July, 2020 01:30
Subject: [DXLab] Automatically change Mode per bandplan

Thanks in advance!
Scott / KN3A

Scott

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my email. I do not use SpotCollector for chasing POTA. The spots come from a particular website, therefore I use the method I described where I highlight the VFO in Commander and type in the frequency. That works well, but I then must switch modes with the button below. It's not a big inconvenience but was curious if there was a way. It would be nice if the bandmodes.txt would be able to be incorporated into Commander though. I use Commander, DXKeeper and WinWarbler for my parks chasing.

73 Scott

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my email. I do not use SpotCollector for chasing POTA. The spots come from a particular website, therefore I use the method I described where I highlight the VFO in Commander and type in the frequency. That works well, but I then must switch modes with the button below. It's not a big inconvenience but was curious if there was a way.
It would be nice if the bandmodes.txt would be able to be incorporated into Commander though. I use Commander, DXKeeper and WinWarbler for my parks chasing.

+ Given that you are having to type in the frequency one digit at a time, saving the one mouse click required to select the mode isn't much justification for the development effort required to implement your request. I'd rather put that development effort into extending SpotCollector to recognize POTA designators, as it did for NPOTA designators.

Dave, AA6YQ

Scott

Hi Dave,

You're right, not worth the development most likely for a niche thing like I was asking for. Extending SpotCollector to recognize POTA designators would be really great. 

Scott