Topics

Automated spots not displaying when connected directly--fine using CC User

Peter Dougherty

Hi Dave/all,
I seem to be missing a great number of cluster spots. I think it's limited to skimmer-generated spots, but I'm not 100% sure. For the sake of simplicity and troubleshooting I have only one cluster connected at the moment (K3NC). Also for the sake of troubleshooting I connected to that same K3NC cluster using CC User software (ve7cc's cluster user program). Note that CC User is not feeding Spot collector; the two programs are connected to the same node independently.

Looking at the feed of spots on CC User I'm seeing the usual/expected flood of mostly skimmer-generated spots, but automated/skimmer spots are somehow not being passed on to Spot Collector.
Manually generated spots are displayed in SC, albeit about 20-30 seconds after they display in the CC User window.

The next step was to try connecting Spot Collector to CC User. I disconnected SC from its direct connection to the K3NC node, but instead was receiving K3NC node spots via CC User. Connected this way, the full feed is arriving in the Spot Collector window.

Is there a setting to reject automatically-sent CW, FT4/FT8 spots somewhere in SC? If there is I can't find it, but it's clear that when connected directly to a cluster (any cluster, not just K3NC), skimmer spots are being rejected by SC, but they come back if I get the cluster feed via CC User. Any thoughts?

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 8:33 AM Peter Dougherty <lists@w2irt.net> wrote:

[...]

I can think of two possibilities ....

1) http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/DiscardSkimmerSpots

2) Maybe you have not told the VE7CC server to send skimmer spots to
you. Are you using the same username for both SpotCollector and
CCUser? Open the Spot Source window and send "set/skimmer" to ensure
that it's enabled. Whilst there, observe to see if skimmer spots are
being received.

73,

~iain / N6ML

Peter Dougherty

Still no joy, unfortunately. And don't ask me how, but now I'm not getting skimmer spots showing up in the CC User window either. If I connect CC User to ve7cc-1 then I get the full spot feed but for whatever reason I'm only getting manually generated spots now on K3NC.

[...]

+ My understanding is that CC User can configure a cluster to filter spots. As a first diagnostic step,

1. Terminate CC User

2. Start SpotCollector, and connect to the K3NC cluster

3. Using SpotCollector's "Spot Source" window for K3NC, send the appropriate cluster commands to remove all filtering

4. On the "Special Callsigns" tab of SpotCollector's Configuration window,

4a. review the Special Callsign List; any entry for a callsign with an empty "Tag List" will cause incoming spots of that callsign to be discarded

4b. in the upper-right corner, unchecked the two "Discard spots from spotting station callsigns..." boxes

5. While depressing the CTRL key, click the X button in the Filter panel at the bottom of SpotCollector's Main window (to remove all filtering of the Spot Database Display)

+ Does SpotCollector's "Spot Source" window for K3NC show all incoming spots as expected?

+ Does SpotCollector's Spot Database Display contain an entry for each spotted station?