Audio Recording problem

Marv Stasak

DXKeeper has what I think is an elegant recording feature with its ability to record a QSO automatically and store it using the contact's call sign in the file name.  Unfortunately, for some reason, I can't get a decent recording. The audio is distorted and the volume is always too low.  I know this is not a problem caused by DXLab but something I'm doing or not doing.  The rig is an FTDX3000. I'm running from the line out on the radio to the computer using a  shielded cable with 3.5mm stereo jacks.I have 2 inputs in the computer, 1 a mono plug, the other a stereo.L & R input.  Whichever I use doesn't make any difference, I get the same low volume, distorted playback results. I am using Audacity for playback but the Windows playback feature gives me the same results.  If I hook up a digital recorder to the shielded cable, the results are fine so it's something in how I've set up the sound card settings on the computer but I can't imagine what it could be. It should be simple but it is not proving to be so. Yaesu does not supply anything more than the line-out feature; No volume controls or anything.  I am looking for suggestions.

Marv, W5DT

the .

Bill N5IR

A wild shot in the dark here. Once long ago, I mistakenly picked up high resistance audio cables. I spent hours trouble shooting until I finally changed out the cables. After all I had just bought them.  GL.

Bill, N5IR

On Mar 14, 2021, at 22:02, Marv Stasak <marvstasak@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave AA6YQ

[...]

+ Connect a pair of powered speakers to the FTDX3000's line output. How does it sound?

Fred Roberts

I may be way off base, but I ran into a similar problem occaisonly in my broadcast career....the level coming from your rig is line level (+/- 0db) and your computer input is looking for microphone level. The attenuator on your computer will not be able to compensate for that much difference in levels. You will need a pad, or find some way to feed a line level signal into your computer. BTW, this would dovetail into Dave's suggestion of connecting powered speakers to the line output of your rig and seeing how that sounded....hope this helps.
Fred
WB4QOC

Sent from my phone.....Fred

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021, 1:51 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

The "Line" jack on the FTdx3000 is non-standard ... it is *MONO* out
and in - not a stereo input or output as would be expected based on
the three conductor jack. It is also rated for 300 mV p-p at 10K
Ohms.

1) you need a three conductor jack on each end of the cable with
*only* tip to tip and sleeve to sleeve connections.

2) the audio level is *much too high* for a mic input. Put a 10K
resistor in series with the tip to tip connection and a 1K from
tip to sleeve on the computer end of the cable.

3) If your computer places 3.3V - 5V on the mic or line jack (bias
for a microphone), put a 1uF to 10uF capacitor in series with
the tip to prevent the bias voltage from upsetting the audio
output circuit in the FTdx3000.

On 2021-03-14 11:01 PM, Marv Stasak wrote:
[...]

Panagiotis Klimis

I think Joe is right,but I wonder why don't you use the internal sound card which your FTDX3000 is equipped with. Just plug the USB cable and there it is, no level matching, no worries.

Panos, SV8PMM