Topics

Apparent mode change misbehavior with Commander

Jon Gefaell

Edited

I noticed this apparent misbehavior recently thought it would be good to write it up. I love DX Lab Suite so much, thank you Dave!

Replication/Explanation:
Change mode from DATA-U1 to RTTY (To tune amplifier)
   Observe that Commander mode panel updates to reflect mode change to RTTY
Attempt to set mode to Data-Uw from commander mode panel.
   Observe that Commander mode panel updates to indicate mode change to USB-D1
   Mode does not change on radio.

Workaround:
    Change to any other mode from Commander mode panel, then change to USB-D1 is successful.

Note: I was unable to replicate this with other mode combinations.

I noticed this apparent misbehavior recently thought it would be good to write it up. I love DX Lab Suite so much, thank you Dave!

Replication/Explanation:
Change mode from DATA-U1 to RTTY (To tune amplifier)

"Data-U1" looks like a typographical error. What mode is the radio in?

   Observe that Commander mode panel updates to reflect mode change to RTTY
Attempt to set mode to Data-Uw from commander mode panel.

"Data-Uw" looks like a typographical error. What mode are you selecting in Commander's Main window?

   Observe that Commander mode panel updates to indicate mode change to USB-D1
   Mode does not change on radio.

Workaround:
    Change to any other mode from Commander mode panel, then change to USB-D1 is successful.

Note: I was unable to replicate this with other mode combinations.
+ What make and model radio is Commander controlling?

Jon Gefaell

Oh my, I'm sorry! What a thing to leave out. I'm running an IC-7610. I can try to replicate on an IC-7000 tomorrow.

Oh my, I'm sorry! What a thing to leave out. I'm running an IC-7610. I can try to replicate on an IC-7000 tomorrow.

+ Thanks. I can't replicate the reported behavior with either my IC-7800 or IC-7300.

+ So that I can see what's going on, please do the following:

1. On the General tab of Commander's Configuration window, check the "Log Debugging Info" box

2. Terminate Commander

3. Set your IC-7610 mode to DATA-U

4. Start Commander, and wait until its Main window reflects your IC-7610's frequency and mode

5. Using Commander's Main window, change the Mode to RTTY

6. Wait 15 seconds

7. Using Commander's Maing window, change the Mode to Data-U

8. Wait 15 seconds

9. On the General tab of Commander's Configuration window, uncheck the "Log Debugging Info" box

10. Attach the errorlog.txt file from your Commander folder to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Jon Gefaell

I'm sorry, my report was poorly worded. I conflated the name of the mode on the radio, and in commander. My report was very confusing.

I created an errorlog for the below and have sent it by email as requested. Thank you sir!

Working Conditions:
Intel 'Hades Canyon' NUC. i7-8809G, 32G RAM.
Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, OS build 19041.630
Radio: Icom IC-7610
Commander: 14.7.2
CAT via USB2 to radio, enumerated as COM3

The below was done from a fresh reboot. The only applications started are Launcher, and in turn Commander.

Replication:
Prior to starting Commander, radio is set to FM mode.
Start Commander
   Observe FM on radio, FM in Commander
Using Commander, set mode to Data-U.
   Observe USB-D1 on radio, Data-U in Commander
Using radio, set mode RTTY
   Observe RTTY on radio, RTTY in Commander
Using Commander, set mode to Data-U
   Observe RTTY on radio, Data-U in Commander
Using Commander, set mode to FM
   Observe FM on radio, FM in Commander
Using Commander change to Data-U
[...]

Observe RTTY on radio, RTTY in Commander Using Commander, set mode to Data-U
Observe RTTY on radio, Data-U in Commander Using Commander, set mode to FM
Observe FM on radio, FM in Commander
Using Commander change to Data-U
Observe USB-D1 on radio, Data-U in Commander.

+ Thanks for the errorlog, Jon, it exposed a latent defect of long standing:

"correctly change Icom transceiver's mode to a data mode from the Main window after the transceiver's mode was previously set to that same data mode from the Main window, and then set to a mode other than that same data mode from the radio's front panel."

+ I have corrected this defect in the next version of Commander, and sent it your way. Please let me know how it goes...

73,

Dave. AA6YQ

Jon Gefaell

The fix is in! ;) My testing shows this anomalous behavior has been corrected! Thank you sir!

The fix is in! ;) My testing shows this anomalous behavior has been corrected! Thank you sir!

+ Thanks for the testing and report, Jon!