Topics

Any way to "Test" a DXK log file?

Dave Corio

I don't have MS Acess or any other quality database program, so is there any way to tell if the .mdb file that contains my log has become corrupt? It appears to be okay and it opens fine with DXK, but I am apparently unable to upload it to either Onedrive, Amazon Drive, or Dropbox. Been using Onedrive as stand-alone "offshore"  storage for a very long time (as well as several backup sources in-house) but today have been unable to upload to any outside source.

I do not use the Onedrive software. Instead I either manually copy it, or more often use a simple .bat file to do an X-Copy. Today, attempting to upload to any of these sites causes my Windows 10 PC to vapor-lock requiring a power-down reset. All other internet functions are working perfectly. Also, other files are moving fine between my PC outside storage. I know of no ISP restrictions on file size.

I am able to retrieve data from the DXLab log using Excel. I have a simple spreadsheet that I use to track my operating, which imports from the .mdb file, and that also is performing as expected.

The log file is only about 27M in size, and everything looks fine within DXKeeper. I suspect either an ISP or off-site issue, but am a little concerned about not covering all my bases!

Tnx es 73
Dave - K1DJE

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 4:18 PM Dave Corio via groups.io
<k1dje=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I don't have MS Acess or any other quality database program, so is there any way to tell if the .mdb file that contains my log has become corrupt? It appears to be okay and it opens fine with DXK, but I am apparently unable to upload it to either Onedrive, Amazon Drive, or Dropbox. Been using Onedrive as stand-alone "offshore" storage for a very long time (as well as several backup sources in-house) but today have been unable to upload to any outside source.

I do not use the Onedrive software. Instead I either manually copy it, or more often use a simple .bat file to do an X-Copy. Today, attempting to upload to any of these sites causes my Windows 10 PC to vapor-lock requiring a power-down reset. All other internet functions are working perfectly. Also, other files are moving fine between my PC outside storage. I know of no ISP restrictions on file size.

I am able to retrieve data from the DXLab log using Excel. I have a simple spreadsheet that I use to track my operating, which imports from the .mdb file, and that also is performing as expected.

The log file is only about 27M in size, and everything looks fine within DXKeeper. I suspect either an ISP or off-site issue, but am a little concerned about not covering all my bases!
I don't see anything there to suggest that your database is corrupted.
You've been able to access it with a couple of different programs.
Even if it was corrupted, I don't think it would explain the symptoms
you're observing. It sounds like you have some other issue (perhaps a
bad network card driver or something), and the content of the database
file happens to trigger it where other files may not.

~iain / N6ML

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 4:26 PM iain macdonnell - N6ML <@N6ML> wrote:

I don't have MS Acess or any other quality database program, so is there any way to tell if the .mdb file that contains my log has become corrupt? It appears to be okay and it opens fine with DXK, but I am apparently unable to upload it to either Onedrive, Amazon Drive, or Dropbox. Been using Onedrive as stand-alone "offshore" storage for a very long time (as well as several backup sources in-house) but today have been unable to upload to any outside source.

P.S. An ISP issue should not be able to cause your PC to "vapor-lock"
(unless your ISP installs drivers on your PC)

Mike Flowers

Try compressing the mdb log file into a ZIP file and upload that as a test.

-- 73 de Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

On Oct 22, 2020, at 4:26 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML <@N6ML> wrote:

~iain / N6ML

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I don't have MS Acess or any other quality database program, so is there any way to tell if the .mdb file that contains my log has become corrupt? It appears to be okay and it opens fine with DXK

+ Click the Recompute button at the bottom of the Main window's "Check Progress" tab. This will

1. clear all Realtime Award Tracking tables

2. inspect each logged QSO, and update the Realtime Award Tracking tables accordingly

3. report an errors found

If this operation succeeds without the Main window's title bar indicating that an errorlog.txt file entry has been created, the log is unlikely to be corrupt.

but I am apparently unable to upload it to either Onedrive, Amazon Drive, or Dropbox. Been using Onedrive as stand-alone "offshore" storage for a very long time (as well as several backup sources in-house) but today have been unable to upload to any outside source.

+ That doesn't sound like a problem with the file you are attempting to upload.

I do not use the Onedrive software. Instead I either manually copy it, or more often use a simple .bat file to do an X-Copy. Today, attempting to upload to any of these sites causes my Windows 10 PC to vapor-lock requiring a power-down reset.

+ That's unlikely to be a "corrupted file" problem. Your PC should not "vapor-lock" under any circumstances. I suggest that you inspect the Windows Event Logs to see what's going on.

All other internet functions are working perfectly. Also, other files are moving fine between my PC outside storage. I know of no ISP restrictions on file size.

+ Another indication that your log file is not corrupt.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave Corio

I think I have a handle on this. Thanks to Mike and Iane, as well! The "zip" file idea gave me the clue.

Dave, the Recompute process executed perfectly. No errors. I never realized that could be a diagnostic as well as a tool!

I compressed the log into a zip folder and tried to upload it. Same results. However, after the restart, the folder was actually on Onedrive. That in turn led me to testing my ISP upload/download speed. We recently upgraded to 50 Mbs download speed with around 5 Mbs upload. Tonight the upload measured out to around .25 Mbs. I was simply "aborting" the upload in the middle. Cause found, now I have to duke it out with my ISP tomorrow!

Many thanks es 73

Dave - K1DJE

On 10/22/2020 7:45 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I don't have MS Acess or any other quality database program, so is there any way to tell if the .mdb file that contains my log has become corrupt? It appears to be okay and it opens fine with DXK

+ Click the Recompute button at the bottom of the Main window's "Check Progress" tab. This will

1. clear all Realtime Award Tracking tables

2. inspect each logged QSO, and update the Realtime Award Tracking tables accordingly

3. report an errors found

If this operation succeeds without the Main window's title bar indicating that an errorlog.txt file entry has been created, the log is unlikely to be corrupt.

but I am apparently unable to upload it to either Onedrive, Amazon Drive, or Dropbox. Been using Onedrive as stand-alone "offshore" storage for a very long time (as well as several backup sources in-house) but today have been unable to upload to any outside source.

+ That doesn't sound like a problem with the file you are attempting to upload.

I do not use the Onedrive software. Instead I either manually copy it, or more often use a simple .bat file to do an X-Copy. Today, attempting to upload to any of these sites causes my Windows 10 PC to vapor-lock requiring a power-down reset.

+ That's unlikely to be a "corrupted file" problem. Your PC should not "vapor-lock" under any circumstances. I suggest that you inspect the Windows Event Logs to see what's going on.

All other internet functions are working perfectly. Also, other files are moving fine between my PC outside storage. I know of no ISP restrictions on file size.

+ Another indication that your log file is not corrupt.

Dave, AA6YQ