Topics

Alexandria City (county) in Virginia

Kim Carr

I have a number of Virginia QSOs (with different callsigns) showing a county of "Alexandria City" as their county and being flagged by DXK as an error. Alexandria City does not appear in the dropdown county list. I searched and found that it appears to be a valid county; at least the US Census thinks so.  Can anyone please explain how to resolve this?

Kim, K5TU

neil_zampella

FWIW ... Virginia is setup so you either live in a city or a county.   Even though the city may be surrounded by a county, you're not 'in' the county.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 1/12/2021 12:38 PM, Kim Carr wrote:
I have a number of Virginia QSOs (with different callsigns) showing a county of "Alexandria City" as their county and being flagged by DXK as an error. Alexandria City does not appear in the dropdown county list. I searched and found that it appears to be a valid county; at least the US Census thinks so.  Can anyone please explain how to resolve this?

Kim, K5TU

Joe Subich, W4TV

ADIF does not recognize "Independent Cities" as they are not recognized
by the USACA awrd sponsor. Please see this link for information on
handling "Independent Cities":

<http://id34107.securedata.net/dxawards/usaca/indcities.htm>

The USA-CA rules say that if you work a station which is located
within any Independent city, you may count that contact for any one
of the counties which border that city. This may be done ONE time
only.
Note this means that, for example, with Carson City, NV one can
select from among Douglas, Lyon, Story or Washoe counties but one
can not use QSOs with four different Carson City stations for the
sour adjacent counties. Once you have made an election, all QSOs
with stations in Carson City are assigned to the chosen county.

On 2021-01-12 1:38 PM, Kim Carr wrote:
I have a number of Virginia QSOs (with different callsigns) showing a county of "Alexandria City" as their county and being flagged by DXK as an error. Alexandria City does not appear in the dropdown county list. I searched and found that it appears to be a valid county; at least the US Census thinks so.  Can anyone please explain how to resolve this?
Kim, K5TU

Mike Rhodes / W8DN

I can't put my finger on it at the moment but there is a list out there someplace that lists the adjoining counties that you can count for Alexandria City and the other "independent cities". However, check your county log to see which county you use so you get the one you need as each city can be claimed only once.

Mike / W8DN

On 1/12/2021 1:49 PM, neil_zampella wrote:

FWIW ... Virginia is setup so you either live in a city or a county.   Even though the city may be surrounded by a county, you're not 'in' the county.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 1/12/2021 12:38 PM, Kim Carr wrote:
I have a number of Virginia QSOs (with different callsigns) showing a county of "Alexandria City" as their county and being flagged by DXK as an error. Alexandria City does not appear in the dropdown county list. I searched and found that it appears to be a valid county; at least the US Census thinks so.  Can anyone please explain how to resolve this?

Kim, K5TU

Gilbert Baron W0MN

MORE CRAZY government nonsense

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Buck

Virginia has 38 independent cities that are not part of a county. For county-hunting purposes you may count them as one of the contiguous counties but only one time. If you work someone in Alexandria City, you count it as Arlington or Fairfax County. If you work him again, you can't use the the other county.

How that works in DXLab? I dunno. I suppose you have to use the drop down list and get out your map of Virginia.

Buck, k4ia
Honor Roll
8BDXCC
EasyWayHamBooks.com

On 1/12/2021 1:38 PM, Kim Carr wrote:
I have a number of Virginia QSOs (with different callsigns) showing a county of "Alexandria City" as their county and being flagged by DXK as an error. Alexandria City does not appear in the dropdown county list. I searched and found that it appears to be a valid county; at least the US Census thinks so.  Can anyone please explain how to resolve this?
Kim, K5TU

Dave AA6YQ

Google dxlab uscountystatus

   Dave in line at grocery store

w6de

Dave, you are amazing.  This has to be the best response I’ve seen you post.  You certainly can manage your time well.

Best Regards,

Dave, w6de