ADIF import from N1MM+

Andy - K0AF

This morning I imported an ADIF from N1MM+ into DXKeeper. In DXKeeper the prefix (PFX) entry for all imported US stations is "K" rather than the station's actual prefix. The N1MM+ ADIF includes a PFX field and the value is "K" for all US stations.

I've imported ADIF from N1MM+ several times in the past and the PFX entry in DXKeeper was always correct. I looked at ADIF files exported from N1MM+ previously and they do not have a PFX field. Evidently this is a recent addition. Is there a way to have DXKeeper overwrite the imported PFX with the correct prefix?

Thanks!
Andy - K0AF

ve3ki

It looks as if the programmer may have interpreted the PFX field as if it meant the standard prefix for the DXCC entity instead of the WPX prefix of the call sign. The ADIF specification clearly says WPX prefix, but maybe that was missed.

In fact, the field might have been added to the export in response to requests from users who wanted the DXCC prefix made available, not from users who wanted to see the WPX prefix. After all, deducing the WPX prefix form the call sign is trivial in most cases, whereas the DXCC prefix requires more calculation and is something users who don't have all the international prefix allocations memorized might appreciate more.

Anyway, you should raise this on the N1MMLoggerPlus group, which all of the programmers monitor (they do not all monitor this group). If what people want is the DXCC prefix, a different tag (such as APP_N1MM_DXCC_Prefix) should be used.

I don't see an obvious way to deal with this from within DXKeeper, but there is an easy way to fix it in the ADIF file before importing it: Open the ADIF file with Notepad and do a global replace to change all occurrences of <PFX: to <JUNK: (or any other name you care to call it, as long as you don't use the name of a field that is in the ADIF specification), save the corrected file and import it into DXKeeper. DXKeeper will ignore the changed field name and will calculate the correct WPX prefix automatically during the import.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 12:12 PM, Andy - K0AF wrote:
This morning I imported an ADIF from N1MM+ into DXKeeper. In DXKeeper the prefix (PFX) entry for all imported US stations is "K" rather than the station's actual prefix. The N1MM+ ADIF includes a PFX field and the value is "K" for all US stations.

I've imported ADIF from N1MM+ several times in the past and the PFX entry in DXKeeper was always correct. I looked at ADIF files exported from N1MM+ previously and they do not have a PFX field. Evidently this is a recent addition. Is there a way to have DXKeeper overwrite the imported PFX with the correct prefix?

Thanks!
Andy - K0AF

Andy - K0AF

Thanks Rich! Editing the ADIF and renaming <PFX: to to an unrecognized field is an easy remedy.

I just checked the N1MM+ update history for the latest version (1.0.90xx). One of the changes was:

   ADIF Export: Added PFX tag (Coded by AB2ZY)

I'm pretty new to N1MM+ and just learning how to use it. N1MM+ appears to get updated frequently and I'm sure I'm not the only one who ran in to this so I'll wait and see if it gets fixed. I hesitate to join the N1MM+ group and make suggestions to the experts on how to change their program.

Thanks Rich!

Joe Subich, W4TV

I just checked the N1MM+ update history for the latest version
(1.0.90xx). One of the changes was:

/ADIF Export: Added PFX tag (Coded by AB2ZY)/
Argh! Can't N1MM developers read the ADIF specs? PFX is WPX Prefix
not DXCC Prefix. If one is going to code "DXCC prefix" it should be
the country code (*ADIF NUMBER*) not an arbitrary prefix that changes
depending on the application/sponsor.

On 2021-03-31 1:57 PM, Andy - K0AF wrote:
Thanks Rich! Editing the ADIF and renaming <PFX: to to an unrecognized field is an easy remedy.
I just checked the N1MM+ update history for the latest version (1.0.90xx). One of the changes was:
/ADIF Export: Added PFX tag (Coded by AB2ZY)/
I'm pretty new to N1MM+ and just learning how to use it. N1MM+ appears to get updated frequently and I'm sure I'm not the only one who ran in to this so I'll wait and see if it gets fixed. I hesitate to join the N1MM+ group and make suggestions to the experts on how to change their program.
Thanks Rich!

Joe Subich, W4TV

The ADIF fields are clearly defined in the current specification:
<http://adif.org/311/ADIF_311.htm>

PFX: <http://adif.org/311/ADIF_311.htm#QSO_Field_PFX>
DXCC: <http://adif.org/311/ADIF_311.htm#QSO_Field_DXCC>

Misuse of any field has the potential of breaking interchange - as
in this case!

On 2021-03-31 1:57 PM, Andy - K0AF wrote:
[...]

+ No, DXKeeper always respects contents of each imported ADIF field. To correct your WPX items after importing,

1. backup your log (Configuration window, Log tab, Backup button)

2. filter the Log Page Display to contain the QSOs you just imported (easier if before importing, you invoke the "Clear Select" function and check the "Set Select in imported QSOs to Y" box on the Main window's "Import QSOs" tab; then you can filter the Log Page Display to contain the QSOs you just imported by clicking the Sel button in the Filter panel at the bottom of the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab)

3. In the "Modify QSOs" panel on the "Advanced Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window,

3a. set the "Item name" selector to PFX

3b. type

<compute>

in the "Item new value" box

3c. click the Mod button

I don't see an obvious way to deal with this from within DXKeeper

+ The "Modify QSOs" panel can be used to recompute the WPX prefix for each QSO in the Log Page Display. See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/ModifyLog.htm

Andy - K0AF

Thank you to Rich, Joe, and Dave!

Joe, I see you posted on the N1MM+ group to inform them of the error of their ways. Thanks! And Dave, thanks for pointer on using <compute> to fix the PFX entries. Just one more feature I was not aware of. Now if you could enhance <compute> to fix busted callsigns, that would be great. Maybe after you finish your sunspot app?

The DXLab suite is amazing and so is the support.

73 & thanks!
Andy - K0AF