Help with SQL?

w2eck

I am a long time user of DXLab and SPOTCollector but I think I have been missing out on much of its power by not using the SQL Query filters, because I really don't understand how to write the queries. I have reviewed http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/SQL.htm but still am confused. Wonder if someone can recommend a good source I can go to learn the basic syntax used in writing the expressions?? For instance, I am stuck on the when to use brackets vs parenthesis, when to use spaces, when to use lower case vs upper case, when to use quotations, etc etc - So thinking  I need to start with the basics first. Thanks
72 Paul w2eck

Does this help?
https://learnsql.com/blog/sql-basics-cheat-sheet/

--
Bob AF9W
DXLab user since 2011

W9MR Mike

You may want to run through the basics on W3 Schools SQL program.

It goes more in depth than you'll need to use for DX Lab, but might help you understand what is happening when you go through the examples in the help docs.

73,
Mike W9MR

On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 12:36 PM w2eck <eckerpw@...> wrote:
I am a long time user of DXLab and SPOTCollector but I think I have been missing out on much of its power by not using the SQL Query filters, because I really don't understand how to write the queries. I have reviewed http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/SQL.htm but still am confused. Wonder if someone can recommend a good source I can go to learn the basic syntax used in writing the expressions?? For instance, I am stuck on the when to use brackets vs parenthesis, when to use spaces, when to use lower case vs upper case, when to use quotations, etc etc - So thinking  I need to start with the basics first. Thanks
72 Paul w2eck

Dave AA6YQ

I am a long time user of DXLab and SPOTCollector but I think I have been missing out on much of its power by not using the SQL Query filters, because I really don't understand how to write the queries. I have reviewed http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/SQL.htm but still am confused. Wonder if someone can recommend a good source I can go to learn the basic syntax used in writing the expressions?? For instance, I am stuck on the when to use brackets vs parenthesis, when to use spaces, when to use lower case vs upper case, when to use quotations, etc etc - So thinking I need to start with the basics first.

+ Two references are suggested at the end of http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/SQL.htm :

http://www.devguru.com/content/technologies/jetsql/home.html.

http://www.techonthenet.com/access/functions/

+ but the recommendations above from Bob AF9W and Mike W9MR may better meet your needs.

+ Note that the ability to filter the Log Page Display with SQL expression is entirely non-destructive - no matter what happens, you can immediately clear any filtering by clicking the X button in the Filter panel at the bottom of the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab. Thus you experiment with the confidence that no log data will be lost, no matter what. Just stay away from the "Modify QSOs" panel at the bottom of the "Advanced Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window.