Error in sound input

Steven

Win11, DXCommander 15.2, WSJT 16.3.2, Yaesu FTDX-10. 

The error will pop up Error in Sound Input And Error opening the audio input device has occurred.  Rebooting the computer helps sometimes.  Usually both DXCommander and WSJT has to be restarted.  May not happen again in days or it can do it every contact.  Read here that it might be RF or ground or the microphone.  Today, shut my FTDX-10 and PS off.  No error while I was in my shack, but, 20+ minutes later left my shack to eat.  When I came back, there was the error again.  Could a Win 11 update cause it?  Do I have a setting that I changed?  Any ideas?

Joe Subich, W4TV

Sounds like Windows is configured to turn off devices it thinks are
not being used to save power. Disable all power saving/sleep/hibernate
functions in Windows.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-06-25 3:19 PM, St. Cuda wrote:
Win11, DXCommander 15.2, WSJT 16.3.2, Yaesu FTDX-10.
The error will pop up Error in Sound Input And Error opening the audio input device has occurred.  Rebooting the computer helps sometimes. Usually both DXCommander and WSJT has to be restarted.  May not happen again in days or it can do it every contact.  Read here that it might be RF or ground or the microphone.  Today, shut my FTDX-10 and PS off.  No error while I was in my shack, but, 20+ minutes later left my shack to eat.  When I came back, there was the error again.  Could a Win 11 update cause it?  Do I have a setting that I changed?  Any ideas?

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below
Sounds like Windows is configured to turn off devices it thinks are
not being used to save power. Disable all power saving/sleep/hibernate
functions in Windows

+ Step-by-step instructions are here for not powering down USB ports are here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PreventUSBPortPowerDown

Dave, AA6YQ

Steven

Good thought!  Checked and Win 11 is set to never sleep while plugged in which is almost all the time, other than storms.  It is set to shut off the screen after twenty minutes.  And, I have gotten this error during a FT8 contact, while watching the bands, or while it is just monitoring. 

Steven

I had done the unchecking late last year.  But, did  find USB serial converter that was checked.  It is unchecked now.  Hopefully that will help.  Time will tell!  

TNX!!!

dxradio33

RF in the shack

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of St. Cuda
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2022 16:57
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Error in sound input

Good thought!  Checked and Win 11 is set to never sleep while plugged in which is almost all the time, other than storms.  It is set to shut off the screen after twenty minutes.  And, I have gotten this error during a FT8 contact, while watching the bands, or while it is just monitoring. 

Steven

Today, home from the doctor, the error was waiting for me.  I makes no difference to have the radio on nor off, as it was today, during an FT8 contact, just monitoring, or about anytime it feels!  No RFI assumed.  I had the System>Sound>Volume Mixer on screen and the input and output was changed.   Worse yet, neither 4 or 5 USB Audio CODEX in/out could be found on the list!  I rebooted and back to 'normal'. 

Just need to figure out how to keep the working CODEX in Win 11 and not let 11 change the in/out on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!