New PC

Saad Mahaini

Hello everyone

Finally broke down and upgraded my radio room PC, juts took delivery of a latest greatest wiz bang PC, hi.

Before i start loading up software, i wanted to get some advise, do's/dont's, etc .  Mainly anything i should do now to help optimize performance and prevent issues down the line

This PC will be strictly used for the radios, so apps ill be installing will be DXLab, micro-ham routers,  HDSDR, powersdr, etc.

I do have two 1GB SSD drives, so do you recommend i install the apps on the second (Non OS) drive or put all the apps on the main OS drive? or should i dedicate the second drive for file storage and periodic backups?

The PC came with Norton installed.  Do i need to keep it or will the Windows security features are enough.

Thanks

73 Saad N5FF

Finally broke down and upgraded my radio room PC, juts took delivery of a latest greatest wiz bang PC, hi.

Before i start loading up software, i wanted to get some advise, do's/dont's, etc .  Mainly anything i should do now to help optimize performance and prevent issues down the line

This PC will be strictly used for the radios, so apps ill be installing will be DXLab, micro-ham routers,  HDSDR, powersdr, etc.

I do have two 1GB SSD drives, so do you recommend i install the apps on the second (Non OS) drive or put all the apps on the main OS drive? or should i dedicate the second drive for file storage and periodic backups?

The PC came with Norton installed.  Do i need to keep it or will the Windows security features are enough.

+ Norton is the worst of the worst. I suggest that you remove it before installing any applications. Bury it in the desert while wearing protective equipment.

+ Back when accessing storage involved physically moving a head assembly, it was advantageous to put applications on the D: volume; I doubt that's the case if C: and D: are both SSDs.

+ Step-by-step "relocation" instructions are here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MovingBetweenPCs

Gilbert Baron W0MN

Yes, I agree with all. Especially wear armor while killing Norton or any other so called protective garbage other than the supplied Windows Defender.

Use the other drive for backups. Set up 321 backup,, 3 copies on 2 different kinds of media and one offsite The offset could be such as ONEDRIVE or other cloud, but do not use the cloud for you runtime. Too slow, especially if you do not have Symmetric Internet.

Outlook LT Gil W0MN

Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

44.08226 N 92.51265 W EN34rb

[...]

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Carlo - IK2RPE

Una risposta del mio amico/guru Dave del prg log radio

Carlo  IK2RPE

Il lun 20 giu 2022, 19:14 Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> ha scritto:
+ AA6YQ comments below
Finally broke down and upgraded my radio room PC, juts took delivery of a latest greatest wiz bang PC, hi.

Before i start loading up software, i wanted to get some advise, do's/dont's, etc .  Mainly anything i should do now to help optimize performance and prevent issues down the line

The PC came with Norton installed.  Do i need to keep it or will the Windows security features are enough.

+ Norton is the worst of the worst. I suggest that you remove it before installing any applications. Bury it in the desert while wearing protective equipment.

Carlo - IK2RPE

SO SORRY, fat finger, wrong address

Carlo  IK2RPE